Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926826 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5835 on: September 08, 2015, 03:05:24 am »

Yea, Brisco County Jr, was a very fun odd ball sci fi western.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: September 08, 2015, 10:42:32 am »

Don't forget Back to the Future III
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: September 08, 2015, 01:14:25 pm »

How about a sci-fi or modern era 4x game where increased population offers a diminishing return which quickly becomes negative.

EDIT:
Speaking of 4x games, how about one where you start out conquerig a single planet like Civilization or Master of Magic, but then move on to conquer other planets like in Master of Orion or Space Empires.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:16:45 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: September 08, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »

What? Like *snickers* Spore? <insert ten minutes of cackling>
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: September 08, 2015, 04:11:29 pm »

How about a sci-fi or modern era 4x game where increased population offers a diminishing return which quickly becomes negative.

EDIT:
Speaking of 4x games, how about one where you start out conquerig a single planet like Civilization or Master of Magic, but then move on to conquer other planets like in Master of Orion or Space Empires.
so most 4x games, yes
and in fact civilization does this as well
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: September 08, 2015, 04:50:32 pm »

EDIT:
so most 4x games, yes

Which one?

EDIT:
As in which 0ne of my suggesti9ns?

EDIT:
"Which Civilization game(s) ?" too though
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:55:58 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: September 08, 2015, 04:52:04 pm »

I'd like a mash-up of Deus Ex's story with Metal Gear Solid's (1 thru 3's) gameplay. Or the other way around, MGS story in a Deus Ex-style game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: September 08, 2015, 05:10:06 pm »

EDIT:
so most 4x games, yes

Which one?

EDIT:

EDIT:
The first idea. More population, more problems. This has been in every Civ game. Unless I misunderstood.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: September 08, 2015, 05:14:13 pm »

It really wouldn't work well due to pacing issues. Civ's bad enough with early victories leading to ultimate victory. You'd need it to be a single-player focused game with difficulty scaling/creating new enemies in unexplored territory. Which might work, now that I think about it, but multiplayer is a pretty important feature.

Co-op might work, with the players controlling different sub-entities within one empire.

I did run a forum game like your idea, but it broke down once one player completely won on one planet while the other planet had the players still building up for a fight.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: September 08, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »

EDIT:
so most 4x games, yes

Which one?

EDIT:

EDIT:
The first idea. More population, more problems. This has been in every Civ game. Unless I misunderstood.

Does an increase in population ever become objectively and exclusively detrimental? Or is it merely a matter of asymptotically diminishing benefits and/or unlocking new disaaters.

EDIT:
Also, I'd especially like to see a spacefaring 4x where population increase provides no material benefits even in the beginning of the game. It always struck me as bizarrely anachronistic that population would be strongly correlated with material .production in an interstellar civilization.

EDIT:
Actually, that gives me an idea, how about a deliberately anachronistic and/or fantastical space 4x. Like, for example, space travel could be achieved by strapping a bunch of skyrockets to a chair like Wan Hu....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:54:14 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: September 08, 2015, 05:49:23 pm »

Increased population decreases city health in civ 4 at least. It is objectively bad if your goal isn't being unsustainably expansionist.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: September 08, 2015, 06:00:47 pm »

You'd need it to be a single-player focused game with difficulty scaling/creating new enemies in unexplored territory. Which might work, now that I think about it, but multiplayer is a pretty important feature.
Respawning is a common feature in other genres.  could see it working as a sort of "you are fighting to keep your civilisation" feel rather than "you are fighting to remain in the game". If you get eliminated outright then you respawn as a completely different faction that comes from beyond the known world and if you just get dominated, such as by being a minor nation on a planet that progresses to interplanetary travel, then you escape to somewhere relatively nearby and discover something that grants a technology bonus, so you get to tweak your existing empire but are behind on scale. I could see this being successful in exactly the way that it succeeds in less persistent genres. You would have the kill leader that everyone aspires to overcome, and players coming back for revenge, and players adjusting to the environ in which they spawned. but it would be ridiculously difficult trying to convince people of that, it would require a radical shift from "build your empire" to "build the empire that you are given or go out with glory" so the game would be a flop... I could see it being loads of fun if you got the pacing right, with players able to experience a succession of new and varied empires in the same setting...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5847 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »

Increased population decreases city health in civ 4 at least. It is objectively bad if your goal isn't being unsustainably expansionist.

Which runs into the problem of being insanely punishing for trying to do the thing the game is supposedly about: leading an empire of many cities. Not to mention the unrealism of it; throughout history, there are few empires with "outsized" historical power, wealth, and knowledge considering their population.

I want to build an empire of many parts, far-flung, countless cities nestled in just the right place. It gets annoying when the third city I build is full of unhappy people because they don't like the idea of being in a large civilization, and building roads more than a kilometer long cripples your economy for some reason. (Specifically, having too many roads "looks ugly.")
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:59:07 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:49 pm »

The realism and open world of ARMA combined with the stylistics of COD, set as a massive planetside-like. Preferably fighting over post-apocalyptic USA.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: September 09, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »

The realism and open world of ARMA combined with the stylistics of COD, set as a massive planetside-like. Preferably fighting over post-apocalyptic USA.
ARMA-Level realism meets Planetside 2.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 577