Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929384 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6045 on: October 11, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »

I always wondered how an entire faction of unmodified squishy humans who would die if sneezed at by pretty much any other unit in existence, suddenly acquire a strength on par with Power-Armored demigods and Orks just by being promoted to a Comissar or Commander. This is entirely judging by the computer games, I have no experience with the fluff or the miniature games.
Well, the computer games need to be balanced, y'know, and nobody really wants your commander to die from stray bullet. But there are examples of stuff happening just like that in Universe, and the most sane explanation is Emperor (or Tzzentch) helping them. Some of Guardsmen are so badass and awesome that they catch his attention (which, understandably, usually happens when they're noticed by superiors and get promoted) and he proceeds to keep them alive. Most Commissars get at least weak version of this as standard equipment, after all, they're orphans that spent their whole life praying at least half as hard as Sisters Of Battle. And Sisters Of Battle cause miracles on daily basis.
That... or insane batshit crazy amounts of pure luck.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: October 11, 2015, 06:51:30 pm »

Yeah, and 40k isn't really about individual characters; there's very few individuals that could survive adventuring in the 40k universe on their own, and the majority of them are Space Marines or Chaos demons.

If you made a game of it you could just control a large amount of guards using something similar to the swarming of locusts.
Actually, it would be much funnier if that was one guardsman. You would die a lot, that's for sure, but with incoming promotions and better gear (if you live), possibly even getting to drive a tank or something, your chances to live would incerase, up to the point where you would have to be really unlucky to die. It would really give a meaning to what you have achieved because you need skill and insane amounts of luck.

It actually reminds me of "All Guardsmen Party" and "Darwinian Character Creation". That's how I would want my Imperial Guardsmen game.

I always wondered how an entire faction of unmodified squishy humans who would die if sneezed at by pretty much any other unit in existence, suddenly acquire a strength on par with Power-Armored demigods and Orks just by being promoted to a Comissar or Commander. This is entirely judging by the computer games, I have no experience with the fluff or the miniature games.
Because, armor? And that GW is terribad?
Anyway, I love the IG, simply because it's the only army that is fully and totally aware of the fact that 90% of its men are jelly.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: October 11, 2015, 08:51:05 pm »

Well, the computer games need to be balanced, y'know, and nobody really wants your commander to die from stray bullet. But there are examples of stuff happening just like that in Universe, and the most sane explanation is Emperor (or Tzzentch) helping them. Some of Guardsmen are so badass and awesome that they catch his attention (which, understandably, usually happens when they're noticed by superiors and get promoted) and he proceeds to keep them alive. Most Commissars get at least weak version of this as standard equipment, after all, they're orphans that spent their whole life praying at least half as hard as Sisters Of Battle. And Sisters Of Battle cause miracles on daily basis.

I think it's also a symptom of something I can't exactly name, but a little theory I have about Universes where "Anyone Can Die!"(TM) where people lives are like so much used tissue paper... yet there is a group of people who consistently avoid death despite not being superhuman, that strains credibility. It's something I should probably talk about in the Pet Peeves/Movie Nitpicks thread tho.

Also Authority Equals Asskicking plays a big role in WH40k from what I can see.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: October 11, 2015, 11:08:27 pm »

Tzeentch is a fuck. But we have something he doesn't. We have...
Spoiler: Ahem. (click to show/hide)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: October 12, 2015, 03:24:47 am »

I think it's also a symptom of something I can't exactly name, but a little theory I have about Universes where "Anyone Can Die!"(TM) where people lives are like so much used tissue paper... yet there is a group of people who consistently avoid death despite not being superhuman, that strains credibility. It's something I should probably talk about in the Pet Peeves/Movie Nitpicks thread tho.

Warhammer 40k is a universe where individuals are meaningless.   Even people who "matter" only have power because some faceless faction or functional god gave it to them.  Unfortunately this doesn't make for good gameplay OR good storytelling, so GW writers are constantly backtracking or ignoring their own rules.

Probably the most extreme example of this is Rogue Trader.  Want to set a tabletop RPG in a universe where the individual is irrelevant and being a special snowflake is punishable by death?  Its cool, just invent a new type of person that breaks every rule of your universe.

Rogue Traders:
Are allowed to interact with xenos and heretics without being killed
Don't have to necessarily take orders from a higher power and are basically immune to the imperial beaurocracy
Are allowed to engage primarily in economic actions without being serfs (THERE IS ONLY WAR, unless you're this particular person)
Have nothing to defend, no real stake in any of the galactic conflict, and are thus largely immune to the whole "genocided through no fault of their own" thing that basically everyone else is subject to.

Basically, they don't belong in the 40K universe but have to exist because a character that makes sense wouldn't be a good RPG character.  Ditto for imperial guard badasses.  Does that even make sense in this universe?  No, no it does not.  Not on a literal level or a thematic one.  But it needs to happen for meta reasons.

Funnily enough the reverse is also true.  For the Eldar and Space Marines to have survived as long as they have would need to be individually and as a group unparalleled badasses capable of easy victory facing odds of 100:1 or worse.  But workable gameplay terms they need to be weaker than that by far.  Both seem to trade about 1:4 with imperial guardsmen, which are literally just ordinary humans handed guns that even the Imperium considers shitty.  Eldar/SM also trade about 1:2 with orcs, which is just sad considering that orcs are arguably MORE expendable than humans (there's some silliness involving spores that makes orcs into omni-present pests).  It gets even weirder when you consider the supposedly young race of the Tau does BETTER than either of them in gameplay terms, considering fire warriors are their IG/guardians equivalent and battlesuits are their terminator/aspect warrior equivalent.  Going by the gameplay the SM and Eldar should have been wiped out in a single human generation.  They simply aren't powerful enough for the odds they keep throwing themselves into; yet supposedly they've lasted unimaginably long.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:32 am »

I wish a AAA game would attempt trippy, mind-bending surreal horror. On the order of Yume Nikki or LSD: Dream Emulator levels of weird and freaky, but done high-tech.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: October 12, 2015, 04:06:02 am »

I wish a AAA game would attempt trippy, mind-bending surreal horror. On the order of Yume Nikki or LSD: Dream Emulator levels of weird and freaky, but done high-tech.

I'd say horror is just very hard for AAA to do correctly, if only because AAA has such a hard time with introspection.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: October 12, 2015, 04:23:11 am »

I mean, in terms of mindset, AAA would probably never create an experience like Yume Nikki. But a surreal horror game, using all the fancy big-budget tech afforded to games like Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, etc. would definitely be my new favorite game.

The weird thing is, I say "surreal horror" but I actually don't find Yume Nikki all that scary. I mean, there's scary things in it, but a lot of it is optional and even out of the way. It's more of a trippy sight-seeing tour than a horror game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6053 on: October 12, 2015, 08:55:04 am »

Warhammer 40k is a universe where individuals are meaningless.   Even people who "matter" only have power because some faceless faction or functional god gave it to them.  Unfortunately this doesn't make for good gameplay OR good storytelling, so GW writers are constantly backtracking or ignoring their own rules.

Probably the most extreme example of this is Rogue Trader.  Want to set a tabletop RPG in a universe where the individual is irrelevant and being a special snowflake is punishable by death?  Its cool, just invent a new type of person that breaks every rule of your universe.

Rogue Traders:
Are allowed to interact with xenos and heretics without being killed
Don't have to necessarily take orders from a higher power and are basically immune to the imperial beaurocracy
Are allowed to engage primarily in economic actions without being serfs (THERE IS ONLY WAR, unless you're this particular person)
Have nothing to defend, no real stake in any of the galactic conflict, and are thus largely immune to the whole "genocided through no fault of their own" thing that basically everyone else is subject to.

Basically, they don't belong in the 40K universe but have to exist because a character that makes sense wouldn't be a good RPG character.  Ditto for imperial guard badasses.  Does that even make sense in this universe?  No, no it does not.  Not on a literal level or a thematic one.  But it needs to happen for meta reasons.

Funnily enough the reverse is also true.  For the Eldar and Space Marines to have survived as long as they have would need to be individually and as a group unparalleled badasses capable of easy victory facing odds of 100:1 or worse.  But workable gameplay terms they need to be weaker than that by far.  Both seem to trade about 1:4 with imperial guardsmen, which are literally just ordinary humans handed guns that even the Imperium considers shitty.  Eldar/SM also trade about 1:2 with orcs, which is just sad considering that orcs are arguably MORE expendable than humans (there's some silliness involving spores that makes orcs into omni-present pests).  It gets even weirder when you consider the supposedly young race of the Tau does BETTER than either of them in gameplay terms, considering fire warriors are their IG/guardians equivalent and battlesuits are their terminator/aspect warrior equivalent.  Going by the gameplay the SM and Eldar should have been wiped out in a single human generation.  They simply aren't powerful enough for the odds they keep throwing themselves into; yet supposedly they've lasted unimaginably long.
Rogue Traders arguably make some sense, as they don't exactly operate in Imperial space and giving them freedom to do stuff is basically only way Imperium is going to have some presence outside without making a huge crusade which they can't really have a lot of.
As for the rest, it all can be explained by Gods.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: October 13, 2015, 07:54:42 pm »

I'd really like to see this in playable form.

Then again, chances are it probably already is.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:36 pm »

An RPG that does for sex what Merlandese's "The Last Word" did for conversation and debate. (IE replacing combat as the core interaction and using a system designed to actually fit the new format rather than just being regular rpg combat with the serial numbers filed off)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:30:50 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: October 13, 2015, 10:44:38 pm »

I'd really like to see this in playable form.

Then again, chances are it probably already is.
I would have imagined more bullethell in a Touhou FPS. That just looked like CoD: Anime Girl Edition.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: October 14, 2015, 12:32:37 am »

An RPG that does for sex what Merlandese's "The Last Word" did for conversation and debate. (IE replacing combat as the core interaction and using a system designed to actually fit the new format rather than just being regular rpg combat with the serial numbers filed off)
Oh god, I'm imagining so much borderline-between-arousing-and-awkward video game cutscene sex.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: October 14, 2015, 10:33:02 am »

Oh god, I'm imagining so much borderline-between-arousing-and-awkward video game cutscene sex.

Not cutscenes, it would be partly abstracted and take the place of jrpg combat
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:31 pm »

Not cutscenes, it would be partly abstracted and take the place of jrpg combat

JimboM12 uses Penis! It's super effective!
Girl uses Grip! It's super effective!
JimboM12 has been knocked out!
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 577