Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926812 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6645 on: February 17, 2016, 09:56:59 am »

I want an open-world Hokuto No Ken game. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't already a Fallout 3 or NV mod, but I'd prefer it to be a beat em up. I just wanna be kung-fu Jesus in the post-apocalypse, okay?

Inb4 God Hand. I didn't really care for God Hand all that much. :-/

Closest I can think is the Hokuto No Rogue, which is a roguelike, but I think it's kinda barebones and not in active development. But it is hilarious to use all those pressure point moves in a roguelike (BTW playing as the main character is basically godmode).

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:41 pm »

*snip*
I imagine a multiplayer version of this would always lead to overuse of Fire magic and the world would become an instant-death hellhole within few minutes of playing.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: February 17, 2016, 12:59:55 pm »

I've always liked the idea of magic in a game being incredibly powerful but horrific for the enviroment/the caster. Thaumcraft, a minecraft mod, did something kind of interesting in this vein.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6648 on: February 17, 2016, 05:28:19 pm »

I've always liked the idea of magic in a game being incredibly powerful but horrific for the enviroment/the caster. Thaumcraft, a minecraft mod, did something kind of interesting in this vein.
Mind telling me more about it? If you don't think it's appropriate for the thread then you should PM me. I could just look it up or watch videos but talking is more fun.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: February 17, 2016, 05:42:53 pm »

Mind telling me more about it? If you don't think it's appropriate for the thread then you should PM me. I could just look it up or watch videos but talking is more fun.
Oh, thaumcraft is nowhere near NSFW, if that's what you're saying.
You have a book, do research by combining symbols on pieces of paper copied from the book, and then that causes the book to update and you learn more about how to do magic. You have a lense which you can look at the world to gain more symbols with which to do research, or you can use a table to break down objects into those symbols if you run out of things to look at. You have a wand, which can hold energy drawn from these small tears in the world, and if you're not careful you can damage those tears. You then have an alchemy pot, which can be used to make stuff (and if you aren't careful, release taint into the world), and you can use your wand with a special crafting table to make stuff out of the energy from the small tears (nodes). Some of the things you can make attach to your wand so you can use the energy stored in it directly to do things (like shoot lightning). You can then build a complex alchemy station for mid-early game, which allows you to break things down into slurry, which is safer than the other alchemy method, but if you let that slurry loose by accident it turns into taint again which is this nasty purple stuff that spawns purple slimes and damages you directly. For mid game, you create this giant infusion structure, set up jars of slurry, and you have to make sure everything is symmetrical except for your crafting ingredients, because not being symmetrical causes instability, also not having enough slurry causes instability, and instability makes a lot more taint and flux, which at these levels causes the ground to transform, trees to turn into crusty taint, plants spread more taint, and very scary tainted monsters appear which can spread more taint.
Also, some research causes "warp", which is another word for "insanity", which can cause hallucinations, which can attack you and do real damage. It also makes you more likely to accidentally make taint.
I don't know what comes after the infusion altar, because I've never made it that far.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6650 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:12 pm »

Oh, thaumcraft is nowhere near NSFW, if that's what you're saying.
I was more thinking that it would be off-topic.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: February 17, 2016, 06:40:02 pm »

Wait, which version of Thaumcraft is that?
There have been SO MANY.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: February 17, 2016, 09:09:08 pm »

I believe 4.

Warp, is, essentially, the mental embodiment of magical corruption. It slowly does strange status effects to you, sometimes even giving you research points by way of 'Strange whispers'. Eventually, after getting enough Warp you unlock a new area of research: Eldritch. It begins with an attempt to find a cure for the Warp, but you can pursue deeper until you eventually find a way to unlock gateways that spawn naturally. They lead to a strange prison-like dimension, populated by hellish Lovecraftian horrors.

The PHYSICAL embodiment is known as Taint. It'll fuck up a biome and spawns terrible monsters and such. Corrupts all mobs and will eventually start to hurt you.
Combined with Thaumcraft feeling like the most science-like magic, and you get my personal favorite mod ever.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:25 am »

I believe 4.

Warp, is, essentially, the mental embodiment of magical corruption. It slowly does strange status effects to you, sometimes even giving you research points by way of 'Strange whispers'. Eventually, after getting enough Warp you unlock a new area of research: Eldritch. It begins with an attempt to find a cure for the Warp, but you can pursue deeper until you eventually find a way to unlock gateways that spawn naturally. They lead to a strange prison-like dimension, populated by hellish Lovecraftian horrors.

The PHYSICAL embodiment is known as Taint. It'll fuck up a biome and spawns terrible monsters and such. Corrupts all mobs and will eventually start to hurt you.
Combined with Thaumcraft feeling like the most science-like magic, and you get my personal favorite mod ever.
Yes, this. I just wish it would stop being paired up with such laggy extra mods; I'd just like one sane magic-based mod-pack with less then 50 mods. Please; these 150+ mods keep my framerate below 5 FPS most of the time. Vanilla barely gets me 40 FPS, my computer can't handle the load of all these mods that just add decorative blocks (Forge Microblocks and Chisel 2, I'm looking at you in particular).

Also, interesting about the dimension. I never knew that. I'm typically so careful with warp, I've never even unlocked the soap that's supposed to clean some of it away.
The Cyan Menace

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: February 18, 2016, 02:42:46 am »

That reminds me of Darksun, but magic being toxic is generally a local thing and in the computer games that I am aware of, it is pretty much all just backstory. In theory though, it is filled with people constantly locked in a moral dilemma of draining the last of the life from the world to keep themselves powerful enough to keep the horror-terrors(mostly the ordinary citizenry, although the wildlife does have a tendency to possess spike and blades the size of a human, Lethal venom in infinite supply, and the ability to crush your body directly with its mind) from killing them and destroying everything that they care about or not-murdering the world and letting someone else do it instead... I did like the Darksun games that I know of, but they really didn't do much to explore the implications of the magic system...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: February 18, 2016, 05:41:46 am »

I believe 4.

Yes, this. I just wish it would stop being paired up with such laggy extra mods; I'd just like one sane magic-based mod-pack with less then 50 mods. Please; these 150+ mods keep my framerate below 5 FPS most of the time. Vanilla barely gets me 40 FPS, my computer can't handle the load of all these mods that just add decorative blocks (Forge Microblocks and Chisel 2, I'm looking at you in particular).

Also, interesting about the dimension. I never knew that. I'm typically so careful with warp, I've never even unlocked the soap that's supposed to clean some of it away.

You could try Simply Magic, although it's not just "one" magic mod, but rather 7 "primary" magic mods, with some addons that expand them (mostly for thaumcraft and interaction with thaumcraft). The intention of the pack is to offer a bit of guidance for learning the mods that you may have not touched before - things like blood magic and witchery are often included in major packs but sometimes get overshadowed by the more established ones like thaumcraft and botania.

Though it does still include some new non-vanilla blocks (particularly Chisel), the FTB launcher makes it very easy to disable undesirable mods. You could also avoid focusing on other mods at all, to minimize their chunk calculations that might affect your FPS.

Forsaken has a server running it, though if you FPS problems multiplayer might not be a good idea. There is also an "alpha" version for 1.8.9.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:30 pm »

I've played it, died in the nether with 8 PFS, due to not being able to avoid magma due to FPS.
The Cyan Menace

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: February 19, 2016, 11:20:08 am »

A game where you control an ancient hunter/gatherer tribe in the wilderness, but the ecosystem around you is simulated like real life. No spawning herds of deer, but consistent populations that decrease the more you kill, and replenish in the spring when all the babies are born. Try to get enough food for your tribe while also not completely eradicating your food sources. And the predators get more vicious as time goes on.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: February 19, 2016, 01:10:35 pm »

In the context of realism, why would the predators get more vicious over time?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: February 19, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »

In the context of realism, why would the predators get more vicious over time?
Familiarity.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 577