Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929606 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7140 on: September 11, 2016, 01:40:47 pm »

Assuming that the natural supers stop appearing? Maybe.

If everyone can fly, then the flying man with inhuman strength is a super. So is the flying woman who is made of rubber. And so on and so forth.

All Syndrome's plan would have accomplished is move the base power level up a few notches.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: September 11, 2016, 06:40:44 pm »

Why not build up your stats until you become a super yourself?
You can only train up to olympic athlete levels and only that if you have someone footing the bill for your daily training regime, formulated diet, body-monitoring gear... Weighing yourself down with things like being a productive member of society or studying super-abilities pr building up a network of friends who would be willing to drag you out of a burning building or acquiring that body-armour that you always wanted will really eat into your ability to reach peak-physical ability. If you go for the professional athlete route, then you are held back slightly on the training drugs that you can take... Of course, you can just jump into a vat of chemicals, but that only works in the presence of a sufficiently dramatic narrative so you need to build up your character a bit first and even then it only works one time in a thousand so that is a lot of grinding and most likely you will only end up with something lame like the ability to secrete super-slippery oils from your forehead, likely involuntarily...

You would be matching your abilities against those few people who were lucky enough to get something powerful enough to be worth exposing in public and who also have experience with combat and their abilities. She-dolphin's sonic abilities can freely induce crippling headaches and she usually holds back enough that the deafness is only temporary and attacking her super-blubber which reflects 99% of all kinetic energy directed against it is a famously bad idea. Not to mention that she has a pretty good training regime for an amateur and is far from the most powerful of supers...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: September 11, 2016, 09:47:04 pm »

Genuinely wasn't expecting this idea to be this controversial  :P
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: September 11, 2016, 10:55:53 pm »

Point thine finger of holy retribution at @Sirus, for 'twas he who did ignite the keg of powder.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: September 11, 2016, 11:05:24 pm »

Opened a can of worms would probably be more appropriate for a superhero tangent on the net, these days. Especially one involving a crapsack setting where you're one of the set pieces that get randomly cooked by rampaging minions of a bunny rabbot fetishist.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: September 12, 2016, 04:36:42 am »

Point thine finger of holy retribution at @Sirus, for 'twas he who did ignite the keg of powder.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: September 13, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

A procedurally generated/randomly generated world in combination with Mount and Blade.

It would be weird, sure. But it would also be cool.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: September 14, 2016, 10:18:04 am »

Monster Hunter, but on the PC with mods. Pokemon Monster Hunter would be a thing, for one, and there would be a safeguard against the eventuality of servers shutting down (which always makes me super sad).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7148 on: September 14, 2016, 03:23:47 pm »

Monster Hunter, but on the PC with mods. Pokemon Monster Hunter would be a thing, for one, and there would be a safeguard against the eventuality of servers shutting down (which always makes me super sad).
Fock yes. This is my dream. You could make the game so much more impressive if it weren't limited to a handheld. Even the Wii Monster Hunter did some really cool stuff and that thing doesn't have the most amazing hardware ever.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: September 14, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »

Servers shutting down is just a fact of life, and honestly, even though it makes the player base of that particular game sad, I imagine it makes gaming as a *whole* much healthier when games are allowed to die once they've served the purpose it originally set out to accomplish, or they've definitively NOT accomplished it and the company is putting it to rest.

I mean, sure, there's an sense of artistic loss to it, in that future generations will never know what it was like to play the game, I'd imagine however that that is merely the resulting consequence of games being a product of their time, and they served the needs of the people in that particular time, and there isn't a particular reason to ask more from them.

Overall, I think the gaming industry is in the middle of the biggest glut of game releases it'll ever see. The market for games is severely overcrowded, and more game releases are announced every day, and more game developers (sincere in their passion for design or not) are lining up to create more and more as the barrier to entry gets lower and lower. Moreover, games just have a very long 'trail', in that once created, most games simply persist forever, effectively not only competing with every game that already exists, but every game that will ever exist in the future. This isn't much of a problem with books and movies, but it's an increasingly big problem for games that require a substantially larger time investment on average, and some have no max playtime, they just can be played forever. The fact that 'some' games are allowed to die, while seemingly bad for consumers, I'd argue is instead good for them, since now it takes one more game out of the marketplace, and gives both the consumer and creator of games that much more breathing room and opportunity to explore.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: September 14, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »

I'd like to think of games as more than commodities on a marketplace, though. Games are already in very real danger of being lost all the time, just because nobody cared to preserve the hardware these games were played on. Imagine if the Mona Lisa stopped working and nobody could look at it anymore (disregard that it's probably already in secure storage where nobody can look at it). That's been happening to games for as long as electronic games have existed. It's not just a loss of fun times that I had, it's losing a piece of art that made me feel something special.

Some day Undertale and Mass Effect alike will kick the bucket. Planescape: Torment is probably on its last legs of compatibility (it takes a pretty involved fix on Win10) as are hundreds of influential games from the early Windows times, such as Myst.

Maybe I'm being overly apocalyptic, but I read about episodes of Doctor Who that were destroyed by BBC because nobody wanted them at the time... and lo and behold, the Doctor Who fandom is alive and thriving, with pieces missing and holes in the archives, episodes that will be gone from living memory in a generation or two. I only see the same thing happening for gaming, but on a much broader scale.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: September 14, 2016, 07:21:17 pm »

Tis, but the way of the world! Look at the Odyssey and Illiad, several parts of that heroic series are missing in their entirety!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: September 15, 2016, 06:30:35 am »

Yep. 

Classical writings are a good example, barely anything survived the dark ages.  Archimedes had calculus 2000 years before Newton, where would the world be if we had progressed from there instead of backsliding?

But an even BETTER example, are things that we are losing in modern living memory.  We had to dredge up discarded first stages of Saturn V rockets from the bottom of the sea, because we forgot how the rocket nozzles were designed and couldn't replicate their efficiency.  This is not a unique example.

a combination of rapid progress, changing formats, and hardware / media obsolescence are changing things much more quickly.  Even if your format is still readable and your media is still valid, you've probably lost more data than you know to Bit Rot.

Got some digital photos stored on a hosted cloud service somewhere?  Have not touched them in a while?  Odds are, they are being automatically down-sampled to lower resolutions to save cost.  Forget about the reality of Bit Rot, the people storing your shit are intentionally degrading it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:32:55 am by puke »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: September 15, 2016, 08:27:17 am »

Classical writings are a good example, barely anything survived the dark ages.  Archimedes had calculus 2000 years before Newton, where would the world be if we had progressed from there instead of backsliding?
I wouldn't call being able to do a few math problems with Riemann's sums as having calculus. As for classical writings, we only know about the ones that were lost because of scholars from the "dark ages".

On a more relevant note, I'd love to see a game with a historical ancient egyptian setting.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:31:34 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:02 am »

https://www.gog.com/game/pharaoh_cleopatra were pretty good, unless you had something more specific in mind?

As far as Archimedes:  He uses Reimann sums whenever he demonstrated proof for his results, but the relatively recently discovered Palimpsest revealed that he actually got to those results through methods very similar to modern calculus and then built the proofs after the fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Method_of_Mechanical_Theorems
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 577