Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 373

Author Topic: DFHack 0.34.11 r3  (Read 1407908 times)

Kar98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.34.05 r1
« Reply #1035 on: March 29, 2012, 06:55:39 am »

Thanks so much for making this. 99% of the time I'm using vdig which toady really should implement in the default release. I hate constantly having to micromanage my miners to dig out that vein

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1036 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:16 am »

Is it possible to dump the output of a functions, say Prospect, to a file?  Windows doesn't let me copy and paste text from the dfhack window.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48:26 am »

Right click the title bad and click mark. That will let you select it. Pressing enter when you select something will let you copy it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1038 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55:04 am »

That worked, thanks.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 29, 2012, 09:04:28 am »

It would still be vastly preferable to allow redirecting output to a file for a single command. This was possible with the old utilities, and was incredibly convenient with dfprospect. A text editor is just a much better interface for poking around at its output than the sadly-limited terminal window.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 29, 2012, 09:29:35 am »

It would still be vastly preferable to allow redirecting output to a file for a single command.

On Windows:
(this is, of course, assuming that you already have DF running and are looking at the pre-embark map screen or a loaded map)
Open a cmd window, navigate to your DF folder (for example "cd d:/df_34_06_win").
Type "dfhack-run prospect > prospect.txt", hit enter.
This will call the plugin prospect and redirect the output into the file "prospect.txt".

Should work the same for all non-interactive plugins. Although prospect is probably the only one where you want to have the output in a text file. Dunno if dfhack-run is a windows-only thingie, I donīt have Linux.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:39:24 am by robertheinrich »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 29, 2012, 10:43:33 am »

Thanks so much for making this. 99% of the time I'm using vdig which toady really should implement in the default release. I hate constantly having to micromanage my miners to dig out that vein
vdig isn't really realistic. Doubt it'll be in vanilla.
How can you know which direction a vein flows if you can't see it?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

starvingpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:51 am »

auto-designate as it is revealed.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:26 am »

vdig isn't really realistic. Doubt it'll be in vanilla.
How can you know which direction a vein flows if you can't see it?

vdig is realistic. The miners follow the visible vein, just like real-world miners used to do. If anything, DF is not realistic since it does not have tattered veins (with some rock in-between and guesswork to do where the vein will continue).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:32 am »

Toady has already said that he wants to include a variety of vdig that will assign new designations as they're uncovered.

Also, Dwarves are the children of the earth.  I think they could figure out how a vein acts without digging it empty.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 29, 2012, 11:43:04 am »

Toady has already said that he wants to include a variety of vdig that will assign new designations as they're uncovered.

Also, Dwarves are the children of the earth.  I think they could figure out how a vein acts without digging it empty.
Hmm.. maybe have it more accurate the higher the miner skill is.
I digress, though. This is off-topic (I think).

Waiting for DFhack to be released to the latest version. :O

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 29, 2012, 11:53:05 am »

in game version of vdig would be different, it would only auto-designate the surrounding tiles if in the same vein, not reveal the whole vein directly. it is no different from what happens today, only we have to do it manually after each new tile is revealed.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:51 pm »

in game version of vdig would be different, it would only auto-designate the surrounding tiles if in the same vein, not reveal the whole vein directly. it is no different from what happens today, only we have to do it manually after each new tile is revealed.

It would likely work by checking for newly available vein tiles every time a dwarf mines out a tile - that way, the digging designations will happen as the vein tiles are dug out, not revealing the entire thing up front.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 29, 2012, 01:39:24 pm »

A problem with auto-digging veins is that it can happen that you expose your fortress to danger (by creating an unwanted hole which leads to the surface or maybe even magma/water). And you can also destroy existing rooms, engraved walls (if masterpieces that will make the engraver sad) and whatnot. So I guess Toady's version would have to take all this into consideration.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:38 pm »

A problem with auto-digging veins is that it can happen that you expose your fortress to danger (by creating an unwanted hole which leads to the surface or maybe even magma/water). And you can also destroy existing rooms, engraved walls (if masterpieces that will make the engraver sad) and whatnot. So I guess Toady's version would have to take all this into consideration.

it's no more dangerous than designating for digging a square of unrevealed map. also, they would surely have toggle options to accomodate the level of risk people are willing to take.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 373