Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Zombie Survival (and QWOP!)  (Read 26026 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival (and QWOP!)
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:09 am »

and keep a cleaver on each hand at all times (consider strapping them with leather to ensure you don't lose them)

That won't seem as handy when you get that cleaver stuck so deep in a skull you can't get it out, yet is still tied to it (and the zombie). And we all know that'll be how you go out, the rules of irony and storytelling demands it.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2011, 01:33:45 am »

Well, tbh the rig is supposed to increase my survival odds as a zombie, more than anything. I figure protection from headshots is a must, and the cleavers would make purveying food easier
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2011, 01:37:59 am »

Be sure to have at least some attire covered in truck bedliner. Just recently caught an episode of Mythbusters that they tested that stuff. Zombie-proof rating is pretty decent, provided you coat it well enough to serve as decent armor as well as retain enough flexibility to be useful.

Be sure to coat your walls as well. They'll have a hard time getting through it. I mean, that stuff is even explosive resistant; be it wooden or stone/concrete walls covered. Should also be a challenge to climb up for them, provided a smooth coating.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:43:16 am by Itnetlolor »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2011, 02:07:59 am »

My Zombie Survival Plan... Run Faster then the other guy........ Works with bears... :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2011, 02:49:51 am »

Several choices. While I'm in an urban environment, I'm not far from several areas in the vicinity. Assuming the zombies cannot swim, and die after too long in water, and animals are non-infectable, these would be perfect.

Item the first: Mt. Dandenong
Probably not such a good idea, but it's easily fortified and there is a maze there that would confuse the zombies. Mount Dandenong- it's about 25km from my house and easily reachable by plane.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Item the second: Fort Nepean/Fort Pearce, Point Nepean
Ideal. It's an old fort. The national park before it has huge amounts of unexploded land mines. The road leading to the fort is three metres wide with a sheer drop of 10m into the raging torrent that is Bass Strait. Lots of old foxholes that are still usable. Extensive underground tunnels. Easily sealed off from the outside world by destroying the narrow road.

Item the third: South Channel Fort, Port Phillip Bay
Good as a stopping point. Poor opportunities for farming.... Easily defensible.

Item the fourth: Swan Island, Geelong
Owned by the Department of Defence. Soldier's training facility. Manned at all times. Only way in is via a bridge or through shallow water.

Item the fifth: French Island, Western Port Bay
Only accessible by boat. Massive farming abilities.
-Cons: Poorly defensible. Very large island. Western port bay, although dangerous at times is also shallow.

There you go. I'm fairly handy with melee weaponry, and I'm skilled at farming. i've not fired a gun before, though.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:32 am »

[...]
Step four: Shoot self in head and land off of building.

What's that tale (possibly apocryphal, not going to Google for it, as I'd get loads of depressing stuff and might trigger some secret Samaritan-esque monitoring software) about the guy who, determined to die, tied a noose around his neck and to his car bumper on the edge of a cliff, doused himself in petrol and wielded a hand-gun, took some poison, set himself on light, jumped and tried to shoot himself in the head, just to make sure...

The shot went wide, severed the rope, so he just fell into the water below, putting out the fire and in panic he swallowed some  seawater which made him vomit out the poison.  He then swam to shore, deciding maybe it wasn't his time[1].

Or something like that.

[1] I suppose an alternate an ironic ending might be that he decided it wasn't his time, but drowned while trying to get back onto dry land, but there'd be forensic difficulty in working this final state-of-mind, 3rd-hand, unless there were witnesses.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:20 am »

'Sides that, a zombie apocalypse is very unlikely to be a global apocalypse. We can't even get information to everyone on the planet, how is a virus supposed to do better?
Not knowing what the carrier mechanism is, if you start off in an 'unsafe' area and manage to get to a 'safe' one, then you might be the one to transmit the unsafeness to that area.  I'm pretty sure that while there'll be safe areas, you'd have a hard time outrunning the spread if the spread is capable of using you (or the same method of migration through other individuals, well-meaning or otherwise) as the stepping-stone.

You might be immune (like in I Am Legend, which is more a zombie story[1] than a vampire one, but does depend on your interpretation) but a carrier.  Until you know that any gated communities exist[2] through similar immunities, and not just through isolation and generally laying below the radar of the virus and their agents, to visit them would be irresponsible.  Also dangerous, if they've got the same doubts and would rather you not be trying to get in.

Anyway, if immune (or capable of keeping oneself uninfected, or at least still alive thus the infection/whatever has not taking hold like it only inevitably will once you do naturally expire), it might be considered your duty to (after appropriate safeguards have been made with respect to any other survivor(s) involved so as not to ruin anyone's run of good luck) Do Your Bit to safeguard the bits of the human race that haven't just been sealed in Cheyenne Mountain, or whatever equivalent locations exist.  Naturally, the Narrativium imperative will send you onto an ideological collision course with said sealed-off survivors (when they finally emerge), so non-allied survivor groups is definitely an issue to consider in all plans.  No "All living people come here!" signs hung on sky-scrapers, unless you're actively trying to draw in the living (or fiendish dead) into a trap, yourself.

[1] Original book included, although YMMV in all representations of the tale.
[2] IAL: The Movie, only.  IAL: The Book justifies the Legend part of the title much better than "hey, a guy just finally turned up from the city!"

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2011, 07:20:06 am »

[...]
Step four: Shoot self in head and land off of building.

What's that tale (possibly apocryphal, not going to Google for it, as I'd get loads of depressing stuff and might trigger some secret Samaritan-esque monitoring software) about the guy who, determined to die, tied a noose around his neck and to his car bumper on the edge of a cliff, doused himself in petrol and wielded a hand-gun, took some poison, set himself on light, jumped and tried to shoot himself in the head, just to make sure...

The shot went wide, severed the rope, so he just fell into the water below, putting out the fire and in panic he swallowed some  seawater which made him vomit out the poison.  He then swam to shore, deciding maybe it wasn't his time[1].

Or something like that.

[1] I suppose an alternate an ironic ending might be that he decided it wasn't his time, but drowned while trying to get back onto dry land, but there'd be forensic difficulty in working this final state-of-mind, 3rd-hand, unless there were witnesses.

I believe it actually went that he was rescued by fishermen, taken to hospital and died of hypothermia.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2011, 10:02:15 am »

I heard a story of a person who was going to commit suicide, and put a single bullet in a revolver Russian Roulette style. He spun the chamber and pointed the gun at himself and pulled the trigger. And then four more times. He then put the gun down, because it obviously wasn't his time to die.
Nothing important here, move along.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2011, 02:21:51 pm »

Keep the suicide shit out, we are trying to survive not saying "fuck it"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2011, 05:34:36 pm »

Leather biking full suit [Stuff is REALLY THICK leather to stop your flesh being stripped from your body in a motorcycle crash], medieval full plate armour [LULLULULULUL not going to help you a lot but at least you'd die awesomely] or maybe body armour... Even fencing armour would do wonders.
THAT STUFF IS MADE FROM KEVLAR!!

KEVLAARRRR!!!!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:00 am »

Power armor beats everything short of vehicles. Getting power armor would be a feat unto itself, unfortunately.
Nothing important here, move along.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2011, 11:49:50 am »

Power armor beats everything short of vehicles. Getting power armor would be a feat unto itself, unfortunately.

What about;

KEVLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR??!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:36 pm »

Why do you need kevlar? They're not using guns. A pair of reasonably thick jeans should be enough to fend off most damage
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2011, 12:24:38 pm »

Quote from: ChairmanPoo
Why do you need kevlar? They're not using guns. A pair of reasonably thick jeans should be enough to fend off most damage

Quote from: ChairmanPoo
should

Do you really want to take your chances with jeans, or kevlar?
Both are easy to find, both are light weight, one can stop knives, the other looks trendy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16