Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721120 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7815 on: November 02, 2012, 04:27:36 pm »

One of the group's ads accuses Obama and Democrats of imploding the economy by forcing mortgage companies to lend to "unqualified borrowers" while the Soviet national anthem plays.

^ This is the biggest turd of a lie ever. People should look up the "American Dream Downpayment Act 2003". Bush signed a law paying the full downpayment costs of excluded home borrowers - people with credit defaults and no money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: November 02, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »

The Republican response to this is always to say "Jesus commanded people to give their money away, not to have the government serve as a middleman", and then "creatively reinterpret" the "rich man... needle" and "money... evil" bits.
In my experience they usually say that Jesus rewards the faithful with financial wealth, and that to reject that is rejecting him. Also that capitalism is Christian.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7817 on: November 02, 2012, 04:42:30 pm »

The Republican response to this is always to say "Jesus commanded people to give their money away, not to have the government serve as a middleman", and then "creatively reinterpret" the "rich man... needle" and "money... evil" bits.
In my experience they usually say that Jesus rewards the faithful with financial wealth, and that to reject that is rejecting him. Also that capitalism is Christian.
AKA the protestant work ethic.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »

Which do you think is a worse stain on our society, the Protestant Work Ethic or Traditional Family Values?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: November 02, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »

AKA the protestant work ethic.
No, the protestant work ethic is a belief that Jesus wants you to work hard and accept your lot in life. It has also been used more secularly in recent years, usually when comparing US working conditions to that of Canada, Europe, or wherever.

What I'm describing is prosperity theology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7820 on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »

Yea, thats a lot more accurate. I don't think I can recall any instance where the two do not go hand in hand.

Edit: I totally forgot the "do not" in that sentance... oopsies
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:12:59 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:20 pm »

Does anyone else think that Romney shot himself in the foot (or maybe the face) with his recent attack on Jeep? Even the Detroit newspaper article endorsing him (which he crows endlessly about in his ads) roundly smashed his policy on the auto industry, and Chrysler itself called the claims idiotic. When something like 30%-40% of jobs in Ohio are linked to the auto industry (rough average estimate, it's around 75% in the northern cities, and less further south) that's a very nasty gaffe to make, especially since the main group he would be targeting  (independent voters who can understand the value of the industry) isn't going to automatically favor either side, while the secondary target (union autoworkers uncomfortable with the political affiliations of the union) are going to favor the existing policy under which they kept their jobs unless solid evidence is presented to them. The only group that might be inclined to believe the attack would be those that lost their jobs in the restructuring, most of whom were simply retired early.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: November 02, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »

Does anyone else think that Romney shot himself in the foot (or maybe the face) with his recent attack on Jeep? Even the Detroit newspaper article endorsing him (which he crows endlessly about in his ads) roundly smashed his policy on the auto industry, and Chrysler itself called the claims idiotic. When something like 30%-40% of jobs in Ohio are linked to the auto industry (rough average estimate, it's around 75% in the northern cities, and less further south) that's a very nasty gaffe to make, especially since the main group he would be targeting  (independent voters who can understand the value of the industry) isn't going to automatically favor either side, while the secondary target (union autoworkers uncomfortable with the political affiliations of the union) are going to favor the existing policy under which they kept their jobs unless solid evidence is presented to them. The only group that might be inclined to believe the attack would be those that lost their jobs in the restructuring, most of whom were simply retired early.

He didn't have a chance in Michigan to begin with. The west is absolutely Republican, but the east is more populous... and filled to the brim with union workers, minorities, and every other stereotypically Democratic demographic you can imagine.

I actually live in a very liberal postage stamp in the middle of a very conservative county... you can imagine how the city leaders feel about never getting a voice in higher-up politics.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: November 02, 2012, 08:39:31 pm »

My election prediction: Romney 317, Obama 221
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: November 02, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »

My election prediction: Obama 135, Romney 134, Leafsnail 270.

Wait am I getting "prediction" confused with "baseless fantasy" again?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: November 02, 2012, 08:49:31 pm »

Bahaha, who would vote for Leafsnail over me? You're delusional, man :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: November 02, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »

I'd probably vote for you over Obama based on the views you've expressed here, actually.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: November 02, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

huh, I'm pretty sure I voted banana myself
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:47 pm »

He didn't have a chance in Michigan to begin with. The west is absolutely Republican, but the east is more populous... and filled to the brim with union workers, minorities, and every other stereotypically Democratic demographic you can imagine.

I actually live in a very liberal postage stamp in the middle of a very conservative county... you can imagine how the city leaders feel about never getting a voice in higher-up politics.

It's Ohio that I'm talking about. He's been blitzing the state with his "Obama's selling Jeep to China" campaign for the past week.  Between the actual car companies, the parts suppliers for those companies, and various material refining and coal mining, this state is just as dependent on the auto industry as Michigan is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 714