Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Gruesome sculptures  (Read 7466 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gruesome sculptures
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anvilsmith:
<STRONG>Maybe it's just me, but I don't see cosmetic changes as all that exciting. Having a family tree and belonging to a religion doesn't have any impact on the NPCs' lives yet, and the religious "spheres" mean nothing so far. The fact that a random caption was picked for an NPC's execution (e.g. Urist was fed to beasts) has no cause or impact on the universe, and offers nothing to do in-game (there is no coded behavior for drowning, burying or crucifying adversaries as opposed to killing them at this time). I'll be really thrilled if or when all these execution methods are somehow integrated into the overall game, but right now, only a handful of text descriptions have been added in.</STRONG>

You would feel the same by killing a generic guard instead of a guard who killed the Dragon who almost burned that city to the ground 25 years ago?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

It sounds like anvilsmith has no

Imagination!

As for execution methods.  Two words:  

Blood Eagle

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Yeah, I think he completely skips the part where Toady mentions that eventually this sort of thing will happen in game- as making it happen in world gen lays the framework for gameplay fun.   Or he misses a good deal of what makes DF beyond quality in the first place.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Elven...Slaves. I really want some of those. My dwarves will never have to farm or cook again. Also brings up the possibility of slave-trader merchants, who just capture and breed slaves to sell to whoever needs some extra hands...or elf-meat.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

Cthulu: Is that even possible without killing the person?

But I can understand what anvilsmith is saying though. As it currently is, we can't do any of these things, and the game doesn't do any of it in real time. The next release will essentially be the same thing for everyone with the addition of flavour text for background.

If you didn't know about the updates, you very well wouldn't know such changes were made. In effect, you would be playing the exact same game without any notable changes. I think the biggest difference, gameplay-wise, for this release would be the re-inclusion of mercenaries.

Furthermore, Toady himself admitted that the legends screen (which is the only screen you can currently use to check this kind of information) is horribly fragmented and convoluted, and trying to make sense of anything that goes on there takes hours upon hours... for a pocket world. I don't think imagination plays much here, more like the ability to resist tedium.

However, these are all just foundation for the meat of the arc. You can't have great things without starting somewhere. So while this update might be bland, gameplay-wise, the next update holds greater potential (due to the building-up of the foundation) to be awesome... gameplay-wise.

edit: I don't see the purpose of elven slaves until we can start prostitution or actual, visceral torture. Anything an elf can do as a slave, my own dwarven slaves can do better.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

I will say again - while this release won't impact much the fortress mode, apart from bugfixes, adventure mode will be really fun.

Before the last feature update before this one we didn't even have proper history generation, apart from almost randomized city/moutainhome/tower placing. The last update include a real growth of population. And now with this one we will have an almost complete world history. The average joe on the street will have a more complex history than most important NPCs in other games.

While legends screen will be cluttered, you can gather a nice ammount of info playing the game. Now the minotaurs won't boast only about the killings of your adventurers and spearcatchers, but from everyone he killed in history generation. Toady told about the sasquatches that killed goblins hunters and were roaming the countryside.

I'm really eager for this next release. I think I will finally play adventure mode more than the fortress mode.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: thvaz ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

Yeah I got tired of Adventure mode fast once we lost companions.  I'm almost positive I remember the log saying they're back, so I'll finally be willing to really get into it.
Shoes...

pepeshka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

Can we back off on the sexual slavery talk?

I don't want that in my game.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Also, I'm pretty sure that Dwarves would be TURNED OFF by Elves. Were we playing as Humans, it might be a different story, but I imagine Dwarves getting far more satisfaction out of making Elves chop up trees, and go fishing. More of a "this is the way life is meant to be lived, and from now on, you will be living it the dwarf way. >:[ " than a "Oooooh, pointy ears lookin' sexy tonight. :] "

And thus, I don't think sexual slavery becomes a high priority until Toady is focusing on races who prefer sex over violence in general. (to qualify, I mean when he is working on them as being playable WITHOUT modding)

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

I don't think that there's ANY point in sex slavery.
There's no sex in USSR... err in Dwarf Fortress, they just pop out babies.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>I don't think that there's ANY point in sex slavery.
There's no sex in USSR... err in Dwarf Fortress, they just pop out babies.</STRONG>

Urist McDwarf has been estatic lately. He received a wonderful blowjob lately. He admired own fine sex slave lately.

positive-thought inducing slaves are much more useful than labour-slaves, as most of your dwarves are jobless anyways. Also, they make fine trade goods.

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:00 am »

Oh dear, the floodgate's been opened...  In more ways than one.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

quote:
You would feel the same by killing a generic guard instead of a guard who killed the Dragon who almost burned that city to the ground 25 years ago?

Nah, that does have impact on gameplay. Still, so long as I had no way to actually learn of the feat in-game, I wouldn't gain anything out of it. It would be interesting if you could ask soldiers in-game about how many creatures they killed and what their toughest enemy was like, though.

I agree with umiman - a good foundation is being built for all that to happen in-game.

quote:
That's what the release after this one will be about. Integrating everything with the gameplay.

You know, the first thing I'm gonna do once the release is out is execute a caged elephant by feeding him to the carp.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

Here might a good place to plea for an Elven gardener.  Heck, I don't want him to be a slave; I want to pay him well and get the best out of him!  Multicolored flowers, trees, grass, ponds, scrubbery and hedges - it'd be amazing.  Letting elves turn your fortress green ought to improve relations no end.   :)
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15:00 am »

Yes, that would work well.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.