Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677380 times)

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8130 on: May 31, 2019, 03:13:47 am »

I've always used mods for multiple dyson spheres, allowing them to actually sate the energy thirst of a mature empire seems like a good call.

... around the same sun? That would just be sooo wrong.  :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: May 31, 2019, 08:41:50 am »

Gotta say, I don't much like that the whole system of archeology (rather than just the content that currently uses it) is locked behind DLC. Hopefully they change that after adding more relevant content in future releases, rather than just leaving it as an isolated system and not iterating on it.

Quote from: Patchnotes
###################
# Modding
###################

* The Archaeology system from Ancient Relics is open for modding use, to create your own multi-stage event chains

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8132 on: May 31, 2019, 09:26:23 am »

* Implemented improved AI building selection weights (thanks to Glavius for awesome insight here)
tfw modders fix your game

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: May 31, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »

Gotta say, I don't much like that the whole system of archeology (rather than just the content that currently uses it) is locked behind DLC. Hopefully they change that after adding more relevant content in future releases, rather than just leaving it as an isolated system and not iterating on it.

Quote from: Patchnotes
###################
# Modding
###################

* The Archaeology system from Ancient Relics is open for modding use, to create your own multi-stage event chains
I saw that. That doesn't mean that it doesn't require the DLC though, that just means that the system is formulated as plain text raws rather than hard coded. Notice on the other hand that the archeology box, which is under the story pack heading, starts out by saying "a system" and there is no corresponding points later on except the one you quoted. Maybe this is misleading and they've clarified elsewhere to that effect, but based on this it looks like the entire new feature and, therefore, all content using it (including mod content) will be DLC locked. I hope this isn't actually the case or doesn't remain the case, which seems reasonably likely considering it's not consistent with the practical design principles of their general development paradigm, but that's definitely what they've written there.

* Implemented improved AI building selection weights (thanks to Glavius for awesome insight here)
This is good though. Since the work has been done, they should include it.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: May 31, 2019, 05:44:18 pm »

That doesn't mean that it doesn't require the DLC though, that just means that the system is formulated as plain text raws rather than hard coded.

The fact that the quoted text re: modding was in the "2.3.0 'Wolfe' Free Features" portion of the patch notes rather than in the "Ancient Relics Story Pack Features" portion makes your interpretation kinda hard for me to reach, particularly given the past behaviors of Paradox you mention. I suppose I could be wrong, but there's nothing I see in the patch notes that looks particularly ambiguous to me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8135 on: May 31, 2019, 08:51:53 pm »

tfw you get paid to take other's work for free

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: June 01, 2019, 08:03:23 am »

This kind of thing happens all the time in games that have extensive modding support. Pretty sure CKII has been taking ideas from the Game of Thrones mod for ages now.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: June 01, 2019, 03:29:45 pm »

I'm having a pleasant game. Haven't played one for a while. Got sandwiches in between a driven assimilator and fanatic purifiers. BOTH declared war on me, and both gained no ground whatsoever.

I was able to wipe the assimilator out by forcing peace with the purifiers and focusing my attention. I've since been in two wars with the purifiers, and in both of them noone gained any ground.

However, with the territory I've taken, it should soon be a simple matter to outpace the purifiers.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: June 01, 2019, 08:19:02 pm »

I was kind of disappointed that the purifiers that spawned next to me in my last game never declared war at all, despite being advanced starters.  Something bizarre was happening when they tried to expand into one of the systems adjacent to me, where their construction ship would fly into the system, then halfway to the star, and suddenly teleport back to the system it came from.  Must have happened hundreds of times before something happened and it finally finished the construction, but by that point I was too powerful for them to mess with me.

Anyway, after beating that game I went back to pick up the game I abandoned where I thought I was going to lose to the Unbidden.  My main problem in that game was a weak economy, partially because I was in the middle of the War in Heaven and my allies kept conquering systems that flipped to me, and since they were badly built up the planets were a net drain on my economy.  Couldn't release them as vassals either since I was in a war.  So... I just disabled all of the buildings and forgot about them.  I'll let them go as soon as the war ends.  Until then, I've redesigned my ships to use pure kinetic weapons and have focused all research on improving shields and kinetic weapons.  Battles with the Unbidden have been going much better, and I think I can turn this around now.

On the subject of the 2.3 patch, I'm really looking forward to habitats and ring worlds again.  Habitats in particular are going to be so much better now, since they can build most of the buildings they couldn't previously, and can get mining, energy and science districts now if built over celestial bodies with deposits.  The districts also provide housing now, so habitats can have larger populations.  Ring worlds look like they're going to be more like ecumenopoleis now, so that's good too, although I'm sitting here and wondering why you'd ever build a habitation segment with 70 housing when you'd never employ all of the workers.  I'd expect that even small decreases in housing utilization the other segments would give enough spare housing to give enough pops to work any buildings you build.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: June 01, 2019, 08:25:37 pm »

Re the first part: I can't remember where I read this so it might be BS, but I think AI players are able to trigger the "emergency jump" when not in combat.  I feel like I've seen it happen, but I'm not sure.

Edit:  I am so hype for habitats and maybe even ring worlds OMGS.
I kinda want to make/take a mod that lets me play *actually tall* with habitats.  The early-game rush is a.... rush, but my couple Inward Perfection runs with relatively small territory felt more like the ideal game, to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:28:47 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: June 01, 2019, 11:01:40 pm »

tfw you get paid to take other's work for free
He made it for their game for free. You can argue that they shouldn't have needed him to, but ultimately they're really just a bunch of Swedes in an office somewhere. You can't reasonably expect them to always do everything better than everyone else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: June 01, 2019, 11:27:17 pm »

It's sort of frustrating that the AI has been really bad lately, and Paradox's solution is to just roll an AI mod into the base game. It's obviously better than them not doing it, but you still wish Paradox would do a better job of it to start with.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8142 on: June 02, 2019, 12:01:55 am »

Maybe they didn't know how? It's not like this stuff is easy. I make games myself and I know how annoying making a good AI can be. It isn't always a straight forward problem you'll crack if you just work hard enough. If someone else has an answer that significantly improves it, it makes sense to use it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: June 02, 2019, 12:21:05 am »

Re the first part: I can't remember where I read this so it might be BS, but I think AI players are able to trigger the "emergency jump" when not in combat.  I feel like I've seen it happen, but I'm not sure.

Perhaps, but there never seemed to be any reason for it to do that either.  The system was unclaimed and had no hostile space creatures in it, so I'm guessing it was a glitch related to the construction ship that would have affected human players too, but I've never seen it happen before.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: June 04, 2019, 11:47:55 am »

Anicent relics is out now. Haven't got a chance to play it, since it has only been out since about 9 am PST. But thought I'd give the notice :)
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 632