Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179488 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2018, 06:34:21 pm »

"You're pretty good."

[finger guns]

this is our heaven and our hell. what better place for us than this?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2018, 03:26:12 am »

Started playing Factorio again a little, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.  The premise is good, but in practice it feels kind of weird to mostly automate things so I can stick jars of colored liquids in giant domes that magically research new technologies.  It's still in early access I think, so I'm guessing all of that's going to change eventually.
For me, I just get stuck trying to figure how to lay things down and account for all the different belts and flows and whatnot, so I end up running around like a headless chicken while the closest deposits run dry and then I need to reconfigure the entire setup to take from a different source...

And that's how it took me three hours to complete a mission with a par time of 40 minutes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:28 pm »

Yeah, same here.  I get the distinct feeling that I'm not very good at the game, and have come to appreciate why place and route software for circuit boards is as complicated and slow as it is.  Routing belts is a major pain in the butt, and I really want to start using logistics robots instead, even if they're slower.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2018, 02:53:05 pm »

I decided to give Witcher 1 another try, since I've heard such good things about Witcher 3.

The combat/interface is so ridiculously bad, but I will force myself through it. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2018, 06:14:11 pm »

Started playing Factorio again a little, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.  The premise is good, but in practice it feels kind of weird to mostly automate things so I can stick jars of colored liquids in giant domes that magically research new technologies.  It's still in early access I think, so I'm guessing all of that's going to change eventually.

Same.
The mechanics and gameplay loop for Factorio are great, it's just that it's ultimately wasted on a game about making green and red pots.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:29 pm »

Same.
The mechanics and gameplay loop for Factorio are great, it's just that it's ultimately wasted on a game about making green and red pots.

isn't that the point? its like saying the mechanics and gameplay loop for dwarf fortress is great but its wasted on a game about making socks
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2018, 08:13:34 pm »

I decided to give Witcher 1 another try, since I've heard such good things about Witcher 3.

The combat/interface is so ridiculously bad, but I will force myself through it.

It was already bad at the time when I played it, but nonetheless I enjoyed my time with it. Witcher 2 is a huge leap in terms of overall quality.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:47 pm »

When Divinity: Original Sin 2 came out I played it a ton...sadly about halfway through the game I ran into a gamebreaking bug where I was hit with a nasty debuff (can't remember exactly which one) that was impossuble to dispell or remove...I even tried to carry on with the game but it was too crippling.

Now that the definitive edition is out I am gonna try and beat it tgis tine around...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:07 pm »

Heat Signature has released its Challenge Update Beta! You had to sign up to get the code that unlocks the beta test for Heat Signature, but if you ask me for it I'll tell it to you (the developer wants feedback for it anyway).

You have to own Heat Signature to participate, however - so don't mistake this for a free game giveaway. It's just a beta update for people who own the game.

The update introduces things like:
  • Contractors - special enemies with abilities all intended to stop you from getting complacent. These abilities include knowing where you are all the time and having bullets that cannot be dodged, disabling your gadgets and causing glitchers (teleporters) to go fucky, shielding other enemies with a barrier that is literally immune to everything unless they're taken out, or just being a pulsating purple circle of impalement.
  • Modifiers - I don't know what they're being called exactly, but they affect your characters - doing everything from making melee weapons unusable to giving you a ten-minute timer before you literally drop dead on the spot.
  • Glory - Basically a score that starts at zero and increases as you complete extremely difficult "Glory" missions.
  • Changes to Clients - Rather than unlocking the ability to take on bloodless missions, you may instead unlock special Clients like "The Thinker", who only offers missions have no time limit or alarm response, "The Soft Target", who only offers missions where enemies have no shields or armor, or "Gloria", who offers only glory missions. These clients will appear at stations you've liberated around the Drift, while stations that do not have special clients will have their normal set of missions.
  • Changes to Alarm Responses - In addition to the "head for a station" or "do literally nothing" possibilities that occur when the alarm sounds, there is now a third - "Reinforcements". "Reinforcements" causes Contractors (the guys I mentioned earlier) to appear from a teleport pad somewhere on the ship. They will stop spawning, but it still means that sounding the alarm is a bad move.
  • Daily Challenge - Every day, you get a character with some powerful kit, a pair of disadvantages, and a series of missions you have to complete. As you go through the mission series, you'll get score - if you buy items or mess up the optional objectives (so far I've only seen "Be seen as little as possible"), you lose score. Failing a mission causes the daily mission to end. Whether you succeed or fail, your score will be submitted and compared with others. Note that you only get one shot at a spot on the leaderboards - any subsequent attempts will be listed as "practice" attempts on ships of the exact same layout and item distribution, and will not have their scores submitted.

Probably a whole lot more changes I haven't remembered to add, but there's several of those - should help make the game more interesting for folks who understand what to do under ordinary circumstances.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »

Same.

isn't that the point? its like saying the mechanics and gameplay loop for dwarf fortress is great but its wasted on a game about making socks

To a point, but as a counterexample of what I was expecting the game to be like, I was assuming that it would be a lot more building intermediate components that were needed in large quantities for later components, and / or setting up mining and processing facilities to produce stuff in large quantities to achieve mission objectives.  Something like producing 5,000 gears or circuit boards, or 10,000 rounds of ammo while balancing production against using up ammo in defensive turrets.

It does do that to a point in I think one mission, but so far the majority of the game appears to be figuring out how to make green and red potions to stick in domes to unlock technologies which need blue or other potions to unlock.

I think my biggest surprise and disappointment was the almost entire lack of a campaign.  That's what I assume will change when it's finished, but right now I think it's just 4 missions, of which one is a combat only mission and one is a tutorial.  Then free build mode, which I haven't tried yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2018, 05:42:04 am »

Same.

It would be if socks were the only important product, and all different workshops and tasks pointed to socks as the Velma of Dwarf Fortress.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2018, 09:28:26 am »

It would be if socks were the only important product, and all different workshops and tasks pointed to socks as the Velma of Dwarf Fortress.

... i may have been playing dwarf fortress incorrectly.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2018, 09:41:03 am »

Same, I always thought we were supposed to make cheese.  :'(

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2018, 10:48:27 am »

Same, I always thought we were supposed to make cheese.  :'(
My impression was that we needed to make vegetable oil and paper.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2018, 08:11:56 am »

Serial Experiments Lain. And by "playing" i mean "listening to". And by "listening to" i mean "readen", of course. >_<
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 100