Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964418 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4080 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:57 am »

It's plot of like all DoW games. It's always someome else controlling the Orks.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: May 05, 2016, 06:15:16 am »

DoW III: It was all a lie - the Orks were controlling everyone.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4082 on: May 05, 2016, 06:34:07 am »

BLOOD MAGPIES
TODAY WE STEAL THE ENEMY

and then the space marines were ork lootas all along
Gene seed, adamantium, and everything human
These were the ingredients chosen
To create the perfect little SPACE MARINES
But God Emperor of Mankind accidentally
Added an extra ingredients to the concoction--
Chemical ORKS
Thus, The BLOOD RAVENS were born
Using their ultra-super powers
BOREALE, Davian, and Gabriel
Have dedicated their lives to fighting heresy
And the forces of Chaos

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: May 05, 2016, 08:22:38 am »

Kroot don't inherit the specific mutations of chaos followers they eat, they just inherit their corruption. Chaos mutation isn't really genetic, it's spiritual, the moulding of your flesh according to the whims of alien and arbitrary beings from another realm. Daemonhood isn't about hitting some amount of taint, it's about earning the favour of the gods.

Kroot devouring tons of chaos champions would probably devolve into chaos spawn though, which is a trade up in terms of combat ability.
Yeah, but the whole thing about geneseed mutation is that it's genetics, so I'm fairly sure chaos fucks with genes in some way when it permanently mutates you. Might not be enough to get a consistent effect in Kroot, mind, but still. I just thought it would be interesting if a Kroot Chaos Champion gained power through eating other Chaos Champions.

On that note, which Chaos God do you think would favor the Kroot, or be favored by the Kroot? Tzeentch or Khorne?

Pathfinders using markerlights for more Pathfinders? (in game)

I guess it only works if you need over 4 markerlights. For some reason. Maybe snap-firing?
There is no such thing as 'enough' markerlights. They are much like regular Dakka in that respect. If they're in good cover and you want multiple units to shoot at them, or don't have markerlights on literally everything like I would if I had the disposable income to play tabletop, then pathfinders to boost another (large) group of pathfinder's skill with markerlights makes plenty of sense. Wrote a short little article on using markerlights to boost other markerlights on ATT a few years ago, actually.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:32:57 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:07 am »

Kroot are carrion eating beasties, Nurgle.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: May 05, 2016, 08:31:35 am »

Kroot don't inherit the specific mutations of chaos followers they eat, they just inherit their corruption. Chaos mutation isn't really genetic, it's spiritual, the moulding of your flesh according to the whims of alien and arbitrary beings from another realm. Daemonhood isn't about hitting some amount of taint, it's about earning the favour of the gods.

Kroot devouring tons of chaos champions would probably devolve into chaos spawn though, which is a trade up in terms of combat ability.
Yeah, but the whole thing about geneseed mutation is that it's genetics, so I'm fairly sure chaos fucks with genes in some way when it permanently mutates you. Might not be enough to get a consistent effect in Kroot, mind, but still. I just thought it would be interesting if a Kroot Chaos Champion gained power through eating other Chaos Champions.

On that note, which Chaos God do you think would favor the Kroot, or be favored by the Kroot? Tzeentch or Khorne?

Probably Khorne more than Tzeentch. The Kroot have a very strong hunter gatherer, survival of the fittest and up close and personal style, which would suit Khorne quite well. He probably wouldn't care for the shamanistic tendencies of the Shapers though.

Kroot are carrion eating beasties, Nurgle.

They don't eat carrion, they eat their fresh kills. They also lack the fatalism Nurgle covets in his devotees and are resistant to disease.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: May 05, 2016, 08:34:26 am »

I was mostly thinking Tzeentch because they're definitely creatures of Change. But yeah, they seem like they would favor Khorne more, to me, even if they sorta fit Tzeentch. Maybe their Chaos Spawn would all be Tzeentchian.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Damned Immateriums, how do they work?
« Reply #4088 on: May 05, 2016, 08:42:47 am »

Found the blueberry encounter with Slaaneshi. Apparently it was from a white dwarf thing, and was put on the GW website until the great purging of their IP. Now few people will ever be able to find it.
It's canon that Kroot can become chaos by eating them, so the Kroot (that know they shouldn't eat chaos) just burn dead chaos

In the above, they eat Slaaneshi cultists and become Slaaneshi Kroot, stands to reason if they ate Khorne they'd be Khorne Kroot and if they ate Tzeentch they'd be Tzeentch Kroot. No Kroot would ever dare eat anything Nurglite

*EDIT
Relevant bits for those who tl;dr:
...I myself spoke to our captive at length and was to learn many things, which I will spare you the full horror of. It is enough to say that he claimed to serve a dark master, a being known as Slaanesh, a being who is the antithesis of all the Tau believe in. It appears that his servants are actively encouraged to pursue hedonistic pursuits and that the concept of a Greater Good is abhorrent to them. Such a creature will never submit to the Tau Empire and must be destroyed lest his subversive dogma be allowed to spread. It appears that this being is one of some considerable power as it was he (or she - the subject claimed both genders for its master) who had claimed Ke'lshan as his own. I brought the distasteful questioning to an end as the prisoner appeared to take an unhealthy pleasure in the interrogation techniques I was forced to employ. Before terminating the captive, I was able to extract the location of the main force of this Slaanesh and formed up my forces, ready to engage this depraved foe.

As I ventured outside I was confronted with the sight of some Kroot carnivores devouring the bodies those we had killed in battle. Though distasteful, I was not surprised by this and paid no more mind to their feasting than I had on previous occasions. Later events would show how costly an oversight this was to be.

...A horde of fierece-looking warriors in armour emblazoned with shimmering colours and surrounded by a cacophony of discordant noise, bearing icons and sigils of wanton indulgence was approaching... As Slaanesh's army approached our allies, horrifying changes began rippling through the Kroot, and they began convulsing, screeching horribly as their flesh erupted in mutation. At this point I realized that these were the Kroot who had feasted on the flesh of the enemy dead at Fio'kai. Slaanesh's main thrust suddenly altered direction and, instead of charging the Kroot, began heading towards my position. Worse still, the Kroot I had stationed in front as the lure, began advancing alongside Slaanesh's forces with murder in their eyes!

When you're in the path of thrusting Slaaneshis, evacuate rapidly
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:54:51 am by Loud Whispers »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:50 am »

You know, there's an instance in a old codex where the half the Krooks of a Tau force ate the flesh of some cultist/CSM/demons or something (can't remember) and after that in the next battle the ones that ate the flesh of the corrupted mutated into chaos spawns at once and turned against their allies.

The Tau won anyway and went like WTF just happened? While the surviving shapers simply swipe the whole bussines under the rug and instructed the remaining krooks to not eat anything else from the battlefield or something. My memory is blurry about this.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: May 05, 2016, 10:11:35 am »

Chaos and Tyranids are both forbidden for consumption by the Shapers because the consumption of them poses an existential threat to the Kroot species. The incorporation of the taint of chaos or the genetic code of Tyranids will corrupt the mind and body, turning the Kroot to the service of the dark gods or the Hive Mind.

In theory Kroot would be real easy to mass turn to chaos by force feeding them dead cultists and mutants.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4091 on: May 05, 2016, 10:33:43 am »

geneseed genetics
Gene-seed isin't genetics.
Well, it is, but not this way. Gene-seed is only implants, both biological and mechanical, whic is also why Space Marines aren't considered mutants. Their own DNA stays perfectly the same, the gene-seed is only used in those organs that get implanted and even there it's just a mix with actual human DNA being the majority. There are like only two organs that actually carry gene-seed as in Space Marine DNA.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: May 05, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »

How does geneseed look like? I always imagined it as this fleshy bulb that stinks (for some reason in my mind) and oozes some dullgreen stuff.

Turns out I'm not alone:

At least the artist pictured it like that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:23:34 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: May 05, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »

Like the Emporor's own testes, I imagine.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:43 pm »

How does geneseed look like? I always imagined it as this fleshy bulb that stinks (for some reason in my mind) and oozes some dullgreen stuff.

Just googled an image. Might be an official piece or just fanart, dunno. It's from deviantart, but lots of GWs commissioned artists post their work on there.

Anyway, this is supposedly what progenoids look like.

The progenoid organs look like a cross between a testicle and a spiderweb, the capsule inside looks like a ball of blue frogspawn and the actual genetic vector looks like a freshly fertilised zygote.

From what I can recall of the official descriptions in written sources they're usually just referred to as fleshy nodules, or similar language, usually covered in clinging mucus.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:28:58 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 824