Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2164 2165 [2166] 2167 2168 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5894080 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32475 on: January 25, 2014, 07:37:42 pm »

I have the blue stuff in my fort and all, I just can't be bothered to dig deeper. I have plenty of room for a checkerboard, but I don't want to sacrifice anybody to lure the clowns up...

Nothing can bust up through a locked hatch, and the hatch itself acts as a great lure. If you use the breaching technique where you dig from under a bridge, your dwarf will be fine and the hatch will lure all the demons into the checkerboard (or just to a central location, if you use an artifact of some kind). Locking occurs instantly on command, so there's no risk as long as you're using pause liberally.

I'd actually advocate using a cave-in trap with an artifact, very much the same as your FB trap.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32476 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:12 pm »

The fortress of Inktrail is in mourning for its Legendary Broker/Legendary Stoneworker. May she rest in peace. Even if she never did come to the depot until the last minute.

In other news, we're making a burrow next to the lever from now on. Can't let 7 trolls and a goblin crossbowman get past my bridge again.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32477 on: January 26, 2014, 12:08:32 am »

Relicshield, pop. 150, Late Winter of 350 (Year 99)

Two reservists, Ilral Lightningstaff and Stukos Yawnfurnace, perished at the hands of an elite crossbow goblin before help could arrive.  They valiantly stood their ground and traded bolt volleys, but they were simply outmatched.  The fortress's veteran troops tried their best to get to the ranged killer in time, but there were simply too many goblin minions and trolls in the way.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32478 on: January 26, 2014, 01:16:15 am »

I'm going to unclog my water intake the next time I unpause. The open hatch apparently blocks water. Then I'll test out the obsidian farm. Then fill up the generator tub (does water flow transfer up-a-ramp? or does flow only transfer horizontally?)

I've begun metalizing civilians with iron armor. Their old clothes will go to the children, so hopefully this free up my clothier a little bit.
Rin, my clothier, is: Master Clothier, Great Weaver, Expert Thresher, Accomplished Leatherworker, Skilled Spinner, Novice Shearer (Remember: in a ZomBiome, one shearing can raise lots of hairs)
He can use a break !!

On that note, my butcher migrated in as a Great Butcher, and now Mizore is legendary at that skill. She's working to make totems for her bone carving, then I dunno maybe she'll start converting those loose bones into bolts.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32479 on: January 26, 2014, 01:26:24 am »

All you people talk about water systems, obsidian farms, and generators.
Meanwhile, a great accomplishment for me is surviving past year three and getting some decent fortifications set up outside my fortress.
I have a really long way to go....

In other news, Castle La' Doof is completed. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as I'd hope, so no screenshots.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32480 on: January 26, 2014, 01:55:19 am »

Meanwhile, a great accomplishment for me is surviving past year three and getting some decent fortifications set up outside my fortress.

In general, your first defenses should be up or nearly done around Winter of the first year.  You don't need much, and you do need to pause a lot at first to keep things organized and on track.  A 10x10 wall, some stairs in the corners, another 10x10 of fortifications with a floored path behind them, a drawbridge leading outside, and a 3 wide moat (even just dry at first) will cover most of your initial defenses.  Use blocks for the walls to get your main mason some practice (Use workshop profile to keep him in the workshop and let the others do the wall building) and to make building faster and you should have a simple defense relatively quickly.

My usual initial build:
Drive for rock immediately.
Dig out initial workshop layout to get stone.  Have mason produce blocks, tables, chairs.  Have carpenter setup a few beds and a few wood minecarts for QSP.  Setup early dormatory for 12 dwarves and enough seating for 6 in the dining room.
Butcher up the pack animals, get some simple meals prepped.  Possibly produce a bit of booze.
Layout initial defenses, particularly dig the moat so I don't end up opening up the ceilings in my farming areas.  Once that's dug, the miner goes off to dig the farms.
Start wall construction, first layer.  I should have a decent amount of blocks already moved to the surface so it should simply be a layout of the walls.  Take the hunter/lumberjack/farmer off duties and get them building walls.
Get a mechanic's shop up, build off 10 or so mechanisms for spares.  Build lever, raising bridge, hook lever to bridge.  Seal fortress, open doors for migrants and lumberjacks.

From there, it's whatever you find pretty.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32481 on: January 26, 2014, 03:18:17 am »

Relicshield, pop. 150, Mid-Spring of 351 (Year 100)

The fortress began its Centennial celebration!  The underground trade network was completely closed down and the arena was finally opened to the public.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The arena's first match was a mass melee pitting 140 goblins & 93 trolls vs 40 soldiers.  Audience participation was encouraged, with spectators firing bolts into the fray with wild abandon!  Commander Dishmab, daughter of the late King Urist Shootwondered, inspired her troops as she smashed goblins and trolls with her artifact lead mace, Drumseer the Contemptible Loot.

Unfortunately, in the chaos and excitement of the opening games, the hatches leading into the arena were not locked :o.  Goblins and trolls began to pour out as they fought past Relicshield's soldiers!

The legendary miner Unib Flagblaze, who breached the pit to start the games, was an immediate target.  He was chased all the way to the holding pens, but all those years of mining gave him plenty of speed and endurance.  Unib left his pursuers in the dust before he was rescued by Commander Dishmab's squad.  Soon after, all the near-escapees were mopped up and corpse removal for the next bout commenced.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:21:36 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32482 on: January 26, 2014, 03:32:59 am »

Damn, that's one hell of a way to celebrate the centennial!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32483 on: January 26, 2014, 04:49:48 am »

Goddamn, Verdant, that is amazing. Dwarfiest centennial celebration I've seen.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32484 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02:59 am »

By Aeon, Arceus, Anteros and Armok himself, that was the coolest thing I've ever seen, Verdant.

~Dawntrades~

The first dwarven caravan, whom I assume to be cursed by at least two of the aforementioned deities, have stayed stuck between two depots for so long that one of their horses has given birth.

Three frames afterwards, I get a message that no migrants have arrived this season. Quite frankly, they won't need to at this rate.

Edit: Dyrim got his act together and dismantled one of the depots. I now have a sizable amount of auto-quantum-stockpiled goods.

Edit2: 03SAN61 - M4 got taken by a mood. Stonecrafting.
Edit2.5: Ended up being a chalk miniforge studded with bronze and gold from the wayward merchants. Eh, free pot lord.

Edit3: New wave! 12MAL62 wave of eleven.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:51:43 am by Lolfail0009 »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32485 on: January 26, 2014, 08:15:21 am »

In a minecart accident, one of the wounded dwarfs (there were three wounded and one dead; clearly, i'm getting dangerously good at limiting damage in those events) was a child who was "very slow to heal" and needed to be put in traction. That resulted in a total of 25 diagnosis jobs, over ten of them taken by the same dwarf.

I still don't have anyone with novice or better diagnoser skill.
Seems that having dwarfs with notable medical skills is the mark of monstrously incompetent and/or uncaring overseers.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32486 on: January 26, 2014, 09:08:42 am »

~Dawntrades~

Another late-night year has passed in Dawntrades, from merchants to merchants (almost).

We have had a total of three artifacts (a wooden piccolo (possession), a stone miniforge and a stone ring (both fey)) and their creators has been given the professions "Piccolo Picasso", "Pot Lord" and "Sauron's Get" respectively.

Another migrant wave occurred in Sandstone, giving way for the twenty-strong legion of 20SAN62 which included a named dwarf, the wife of the only deceased dwarf in Dawntrades, 19MAL61 - M3.

Sunlit farms are running (slowly), with darklit farms planned in the near future.

Belgaer has taken to roles of bookkeeper and manager, with 19MAL61 - M9 acting as broker. I have Saraneth planned for mayoress, and as the population stands at a solid 54 that event shall be soon.

We have been visited by thieves both elven and kobold, with one of the latter mortally wounding 19MAL61 - M3, but nothing has been stolen.

We plan to train a ragtag military squad with the maces, chainscythes (Like this but less variant and/or ballistic) and lone fistsaw we 'liberated' from the initial trade convoy.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32487 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 150, Spring & Summer of 351 (Year 100)

Despite the massive "CLOSED" notices posted on each of the trade tunnel entrances, the elven caravan arrived and demanded entry in the middle of the Centennial celebration.  Naturally, the goblins attacked at that moment, slaying most of the elves before they could reach safety underground.  Still, that provided more prisoners for the gladiatorial games.

For the second match, 2 trolls and 2 yetis were thrown into the pit. 

One of the yetis was immediately slain by a headshot from an audience member, while the other three combatants seemed far more interested in dodging bolts than fighting each other.  The spectators slew them all and yelled for the next match-up!

This time, 8 goblins were pitted against 13 coyote men. 

Again, the two sides avoided each other while they were pincushioned by the crossbow-wielding audience.  One coyote man remained after the dust settled and was promptly slain by Commander Dishmab to move things along.

Crossbows were banned for the next match.  30 goblins, 20 trolls, and 1 minotaur were tossed into the arena to face the four squad leaders of Relicshield's elite troops: macedwarf Dishmab Shootwondered-Vesselbrain of the North Watch, axedwarf Goden II Claspletter of the East Watch, swordsdwarf Deler Anguishedpages of the South Watch, and speardwarf Asmel Fissuretour of the West Watch. 

Unlike the previous two matches, the goblins and trolls immediately fought with the minotaur.  It was a glorious three-way battle as the best warriors of Relicshield waded into the fray! 

Dishmab smashed the minotaur's foot with her lead mace, Drumseer, causing the beast to fall.  Goden II Claspletter, sister of Edem II the tiniest hammerdwarf, then sliced the minotaur's head off with her bloody axe, Drencheddragons.  The remaining foes were no match and quickly fell before the dwarven onslaught.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32488 on: January 26, 2014, 05:51:18 pm »

What are you going to do with all the bodies? And all the loose teeth?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32489 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04:39 pm »

FurnaceClans has... MERCHANTS!  We have... CLOTH!  Well, a little.  We got some thread, it's now cloth.

Merchants... my gods.  Merchants... glorious merchants.  Liason didn't survive, so we can't request anything yet... but.

Yeah.

Merchants!
Pages: 1 ... 2164 2165 [2166] 2167 2168 ... 3837