Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566618 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2070 on: November 15, 2010, 07:47:46 pm »

I'm sure this is the sort of thing you plan to do eventually, but the adventurer mode improvements have me contemplating time frames: What are your plans for integrating retired adventurers into Fortress mode, e.g. by having them lead founding parties?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 15, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »

Will Companion Acquiring be streamlined anytime soon? With the new version, it seems much easier to haul around 20 companions but it's kind of a nuisance to go door to door looking for soldiers and having to repeat the same conversation 20 times whenever you need to stock up again
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 15, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »

Is three any chance of restoring compatibility with older Windows versions?

As another user mentioned (albeit in the wrong thread), the game now fails to launch on XP-SP1 with the following message:
edit: Guys bugs into the Bugtracker please. Toady has installed it exactly for that purpose.

Yeah, this one was already reported.

When will there be a raws tag for bodyparts that should be able to be levered or popped out, e.g. eyeballs?

There's already a tag for body parts that can be popped out, UNDER_PRESSURE.  It probably wouldn't be suitable for eyes, though.  There's an extant bug report about not being able to gouge out eyes.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 15, 2010, 08:02:27 pm »

I am loving the new addition's to adventure mode but..

are you planning on adding aimed shots for ranged weapon's anytime soon/at all?

the lack of aiming make's it hard to actually get a good shot at something with my peasant hunter, I keep shooting my prey in the foot and it gets kind of annoying after a while.

EDIT: also, are the delay's between shot's supposed to simulate reloading, and if so will there be a option to not reload automatically afer each shot, like a combat preference? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:50:09 pm by 1freeman »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 15, 2010, 08:07:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, thats what I had in mind. It would also be a nice change from the "kill this - kill that" quests. Players could be send to caves of very powerful creatures, which would be much too difficult to kill yet. They just have to sneak in, get the skull and run like hell if they are discovered. Maybe leave a peasant behind as a distraction. Next quest: retrieve peasant parts.

Naw. You leave a peasant behind as a distraction, they're going to haunt YOU.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 15, 2010, 08:09:10 pm »

Aimed shots for Projectile weapons are a bit ambiguous since they are different from hand to hand combat. Distance, angle, wind if the enemy moves and some more things have to be taken into account and would i think need a own framework and maybe even a own front end.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 15, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »

I am loving the new addition's to adventure mode but..

are you planning on adding aimed shots for ranged weapon's anytime soon/at all?

the lack of aiming make's it hard to actually get a good shot at something with my peasant hunter, I keep shooting my prey in the foot and it gets kind of annoying after a while.

This was addressed earlier:

Quote from: Heph
Do these aimed attacks work for Ranged weapons too? Will spitting cobras aim for your eyes?
Is Armor taken into account thus will the Ai attack an un-armored part of someones body if the rest is to hard to get through?

You can't currently aim ranged attacks, though it might get in before the release.  In that case the skills used will have to change again, of course, though it might be that there aren't skill influences the same way there, since opportunities and changing chances are supposed to come in part from the positioning from the ongoing fight, which can't be influenced in the same way by a distant shooter.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 15, 2010, 08:11:54 pm »

THEORY: people compare threetoes significant, but human, contributions to the one-in-a-million talent and fanatical devotion. That makes it seem to them like they could do it themselves, and they grow envious of his position so close to the core development of somehting so unique, forgetting that threetoes contributions are still those of a dedicated hard working expert.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »

vomiting only occurs once before the creature starts retching instead

It seem strange that every creature is now going to vomit out everything all at once. In my experience, it takes at least two or three cycles to empty out the stomach and start having dry heaves. To better emulate vomiting from a finite stomach, how about if vomiting increased the creature's hunger meter; the creature will retch instead of vomiting if the hunger meter is above some value.

(Vomit verisimilitude is important to me.)

:o
  |
  |
  |
~~~

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 15, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »

It seem strange that every creature is now going to vomit out everything all at once. In my experience, it takes at least two or three cycles to empty out the stomach and start having dry heaves. To better emulate vomiting from a finite stomach, how about if vomiting increased the creature's hunger meter; the creature will retch instead of vomiting if the hunger meter is above some value.

I made a suggestion a long time ago about improving vomit.  Feel free to bump it with additional ideas!

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »

Another question for the Toady One.

When livestock are incorporated, will we be able to train war and hunting animal's. also will there only be farm animals or will we be able to purchase dog's and cat's?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:43 pm »

Heh that would be nice. Especially if the UG-tribes get animals too which you can buy. I mean i hired almost an entire tribe of olm-men (i tell you theyr poisonous spears are blessed by Armok) but some associated Cavern-nastys would be cool.

To bad that vomit does not yet contain acids or syndroms. XD some animals might do then a pre-emptive vomiting onto you.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 15, 2010, 10:51:54 pm »

When livestock are incorporated, will we be able to train war and hunting animal's. also will there only be farm animals or will we be able to purchase dog's and cat's?

I don't see why he would remove features we already have, especially since most of the changes besides the new animals will only be in adventure mode towns.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:45 pm »

When will there be a raws tag for bodyparts that should be able to be levered or popped out, e.g. eyeballs?

There's already a tag for body parts that can be popped out, UNDER_PRESSURE.  It probably wouldn't be suitable for eyes, though.  There's an extant bug report about not being able to gouge out eyes.
Oh yes, guts popping out. They are still attached, and trail behind the creature, right? Should that be the case for eyeballs? I'd imagine that an action violent enough to extract an eyeball would generally be enough to automatically sever the optic nerve as well.

I don't see why he would remove features we already have, especially since most of the changes besides the new animals will only be in adventure mode towns.
I think he meant in adventure mode anyway.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:04 pm »

Is three any chance of restoring compatibility with older Windows versions?

As another user mentioned (albeit in the wrong thread), the game now fails to launch on XP-SP1 with the following message:
edit: Guys bugs into the Bugtracker please. Toady has installed it exactly for that purpose.

Yeah, this one was already reported.
It's not necessarily a bug though, is it? Toady could have decided not to support old OSs anymore. I hope that isn't the case, but it's possible so I thought it made sense to ask.
Akur Akir Akam!
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 342