Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677328 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2460 on: May 21, 2016, 08:09:03 am »

if anyone is looking for a discount copy I have an extra copy of Stellaris that I acquired.

Looking to sell it for $30

I will take paypal or steam credit

Acquired how? Is it a CD Key, or a giftable copy on Steam?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:46 am »

Its a key. I had bought it on Green Man Gaming and then a friend gifted the game to me (before release). I let them know I already had it but they didn't have anyone else to give the copy too and didn't care. It activates on steam

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 21, 2016, 08:22:17 am »

Speaking of which, all of my invading armies are trapped in low orbit around the planets they were on when peace were declared. Are they going to magically warp back when my MIA fleet does, or is that just their life now?
The former! I was not optimistic, but they came back.

Trouble here is that respective fleet power scales exponentially; if you have more ships than the other guy, you blow up his ships faster which means he blows up fewer of your ships. It's way more efficient to build up a superblob and crush an enemy fleet in one go than it is to send wave after wave of expendable minions at it.
Quadratically, actually. A single blob of 10000 ships is an equal match for 100 groups composed of 1000 ships.
Neat.

Fair warning, it's broken as Paradox games usually are. Quest lines don't play nice with survey data acquired outside of your own survey ships doing work, that's why you often stop finding anomalies altogether. If you got map data through a trade deal or Galactic Ambitions, you won't find anomalies (and thus won't find quest points) in those areas. So don't accept any trade deals for map data, and get this mod.
God damn it. So much for uncovering the secrets of an ancient Federation.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 21, 2016, 09:35:57 am »

A note on fleet strengths: they are calculated based on damage potential. So if you have a battleship filled with shields and point defence, for example, it will have a deceptively low strength score. Likewise glass cannons will have deceptively high strength scores.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 21, 2016, 11:05:56 am »

So paradox interactive has policy of ,, kek, no warcrimes in our games, ayyyylmeo" ?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 21, 2016, 11:15:57 am »

So paradox interactive has policy of ,, kek, no warcrimes in our games, ayyyylmeo" ?

Considering that I sometimes I fill enemy dynastic bloodlines in CK2 with so much shared blood that inbred kids are close to guaranteed, I wouldn't say that's the case. As for Stellaris, you can enslave and genocide pops from what I know and that sounds like warcrimes to me.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 21, 2016, 11:19:08 am »

Definitely no running themes of committing atrocities in any of Paradox's games!  Nope nope nope!

On the subject of atrocity, I've been playing a supercollectivist militarist insect empire when I've not been recording, and occasionally I conquer empires if their subjects look like they could settle worlds the Screk can't.  One such empire turned out to be full of an ocean-dwelling race of decadent slavers (the Mantok), without much in the way of redeeming features.  I kept them around, hoping to re-educate them, periodically purging new growths in the hopes that their fanatic individualist xenophile types might change to at least slightly collectivist.  Then I found the Draxle, a race of industrial primitives on an ocean world.  Rapid breeding, no penalties.  One swift conquest later, I take the first new pop (no culture shock penalty) and re-settle them on Mantok Prime, the world full of the useless slavers.

I now have a pliable, useful ocean-settler.  And at last I've found use for the "Purge All Pops" button.  Six months of genocide and fifteen billion sapients later, once the screams that echoed across the whole planet have died away, the Screk are free of competition and the Mantok are little more than a distant memory, re-educated out of the history books.  When future Draxle wonder about their new home, all they will know is that there were some vermin that got exterminated prior to their arrival, paving their way to colonise a new, empty world.  One full of infrastructure that one can only assume was pre-built by their benevolent Screk masters for their use.  Funny how the controls don't quite match up to either Screk or Draxle hands...
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 21, 2016, 11:54:42 am »

Me and my brother have started a new game.

I'm playing fanatically xenophilic militarists. I'm planning on basically being benevolent conquerors.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DefeatMeansFriendship
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 21, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »

On the rare subject of things done right: primitive civs. Uplifting primitives and sub-sentients is a cornerstone of space opera and it's nice that Paradox included it. I especially like how Space Age civs can uplift themselves into fledgling empires if given enough time. The whole "uplift less advanced species and slowly incorporate them into your own society to form a multiracial conglomerate civilization" thing is really fun, and AFAIK apart from Stellaris only Aurora lets you do it (and in that case requires outright conquest). Deeper tactical combat and ship behavior is first on my list of wants, but a further expansion of diplomacy and uplift is close behind.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 21, 2016, 01:16:40 pm »

On the rare subject of things done right: primitive civs. Uplifting primitives and sub-sentients is a cornerstone of space opera and it's nice that Paradox included it. I especially like how Space Age civs can uplift themselves into fledgling empires if given enough time. The whole "uplift less advanced species and slowly incorporate them into your own society to form a multiracial conglomerate civilization" thing is really fun, and AFAIK apart from Stellaris only Aurora lets you do it (and in that case requires outright conquest). Deeper tactical combat and ship behavior is first on my list of wants, but a further expansion of diplomacy and uplift is close behind.
you can do it in distant worlds too.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 21, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »

Considering that I sometimes I fill enemy dynastic bloodlines in CK2 with so much shared blood that inbred kids are close to guaranteed, I wouldn't say that's the case. As for Stellaris, you can enslave and genocide pops from what I know and that sounds like warcrimes to me.

Those are indeed features.  And both slavery and genocide are officially war crimes.  They're only missing torture.*
Ironically, one way of interpreting the Paradox forum rules would actually forbid discussion of the very features built into the game (the wrong interpretation of the Paradox Forum rules, for the record, but I wouldn't expect their mods to be as precise as I).

*Will we be getting an "Enhanced Xeno Interrogation" DLC?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 21, 2016, 02:07:44 pm »

Regarding fleet behavior in combat: Ask and ye shall receive.

Simple changes, but it's probably immeasurably better than vanilla:

1. No more idiotic triangle formation.
2. Changes to sublight movement (including the introduction of deceleration).
3. Various other balance changes, for better or for worse.

Here's the big one, a rework of combat computers:

Standard combat Computers:
- closes range and opens fire (due to a bug in targetting distance calculation, standard uses the orbit mechanic at the moment - I had intended them to use the chase mechanic)
- prefers to target same ship it began firing at
- new standard targeting computers for basic and advanced techs, gives a small bonus to all ship stats

Defensive combat:
- ships actively try and stay at maximum range
- will try and target ships that weapons are most effective against
- prefers to shoot closest targets first

Offensive combat:
- charges in to minimum weapon range
- aggressively targets ships close to death

PRAISE BE, testing now

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2472 on: May 21, 2016, 02:39:18 pm »

Those are indeed features.  And both slavery and genocide are officially war crimes.  They're only missing torture.*
Ironically, one way of interpreting the Paradox forum rules would actually forbid discussion of the very features built into the game (the wrong interpretation of the Paradox Forum rules, for the record, but I wouldn't expect their mods to be as precise as I).

*Will we be getting an "Enhanced Xeno Interrogation" DLC?
Upon pissing off some xeno slavers, they reminded me via diplomatic channels that my species' children fitted exceptionally well in the smallest of mining tunnels

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Miroslavs began branching out, reaching a hand out to the world - and what they found was not good. Few people were willing to be our friends, and our neighbours assumed we were to be vassals to their mastery. As our science vessels explored the Universe, we found more and more of it to not be in religious harmony, but in discordant strife.
Terrible fury was wrought by those who had excelled in the material world, only to put their material prowess to martial success and hedonistic excess. As the last Miroslav outpost was overcome by the Xantt Consciousness, the Miroslavs withdrew ever deeper into the Isauros system. This one star system was their only bastion, their only citadel, their only homeland - from within it they began to delve into the scientific mysteries that underpinned the divine order. Labs, mines, power plants, research grants and orbital shipyards began their construction in immense earnest, whole barren worlds turned to shining beacons of civilization - and the rest of the galaxy didn't even notice.
Unseen from the galaxy, the Commonwealth of Miroslav spent eternity isolated and content. None could watch their planets, all the while the Miroslavs watched them. Federations formed, whole species rose and disappeared, fleets clashing in titanic battles in the void over reasons that seemed quaint - distant even, distant to the Miroslavs to whom the world had become a fearsome mirror in the ocean, to gaze into the maelstrom and see what was being avoided back at home. The picture above is from some gargantuan federation war over a handful of energy rich planets. The Miroslavs did not get involved, merely watching with an advanced scanner ship to see if the isolated Miroslav colonies so far away from their homeland were safe. Many starved to death and were replaced by robots, but most were satisfied, growing accustomed to the ways of their alien masters. Such power was wielded and lost that it would defy historical documentation, passing into the realm of legend - of the silver schools of warfish that fared the void and stars, destabilizing the veil of reality to render their foes into atomized oblivion. This we watched, this we feared.
The Miroslavs only sent expeditions out to investigate wars or scientific curiosities. No one was allowed access to our star charts, no one allowed to survey the Isauros system - on all star chart maps, only one star was nonexistent. One intervention was when the Dathnak species of gas entities were relocated to a new gas giant, after their old homeworld was irradiated by nuclear bombardment by religious zealots - as religious zealots themselves, the Miroslavs were determined to prove that not all organic zealots were exterminatus-happy.
And so we explored the secrets of the galaxy, bringing them all home to the libraries of the Isauros system - it held only 5 habitable planets, but those 5 were enough. Between Vojislav, New Constantinople, New Jerusalem, Bastion Faithful and the Citadel, the Isauros system was out-researching even the great materialist Empires. For some reason we had an unusually high abundance of maniac genius scientists. This technology was only used to improve the Isauros system, never to strike our neighbours - and so it went unnoticed.
Sometimes we would find ourselves with company on our expeditions. It wasn't always welcome, and one time all expeditions had to be drawn back to Isauros due to our hegemonic neighbours launching great wars to subjugate the Miroslavs. With no Navies and everyone assuming the Isauros Commonwealth of Miroslavs was as backwards as ever - the great navies of the world had to quickly learn why they should leave these 5 planets alone.
They were not prizes to be won. The scientists of the Commonwealth reverse engineered much advanced shielding and weapons technology from the Civilizations of the world before tossing the hulks into the sun.
Pretty soon outsiders began to get the message that this was not a weak Empire to be subjugated.
For most, they have acted too late.
The Miroslav are emerging from their techno-spiritual enlightenment, the Divine Armada is for the first time waking from its slumber, the isolationists are secluded no longer.
Already the first moves are being made to save the long lost Miroslavs, now scattered across the cosmos under alien masters.
The time to bring the new order to the universe approaches.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2473 on: May 21, 2016, 02:54:09 pm »

,, ..."
Seriously, what the hell kind of quote marks are those even supposed to be? Commas? Really?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 21, 2016, 03:01:57 pm »

Random question, how many of you actually terraform?
It's a huge investment of time, requires a bunch of techs and (admittedly common) strategic resources. More importantly, I never felt the need to. I guess it could be useful when you are boxed in and also unwilling to expand through force (as well as unwilling to accept xenos, including gene-modded members of your own species),
Plus the fact that the planet needs to be inside your border is quite limiting.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 632