Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 435584 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1260 on: August 13, 2015, 04:38:59 pm »

I love Doren so much, I don't know what I would do if something happened to her.
Hey, now. It was she the one who decided to ignore my orders and walk into the caverns in the first place, I don't even know how she got there, it's literally a place that can't be accessed from anywhere on the fort, even BEFORE I sealed the holes in the walls because of the forgotten beast...
Wait...
*Remembers sealing up the underfarm*
Oh... Shit.
Wait... Does it mean that she survived underground, alone, in the caves, for several MONTHS!?
Welp, I'm impressed.

Also, did I leave a halfwit in control of my fort?
I knew that naming a successor while sober was not a good idea.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 13, 2015, 05:05:54 pm »

OOC: OK.  This place is a shithole.  And I mean, for realz.  Holy mother of little baby Armok.

What is the purpose (assuming there is one) of the huge ring around the magma pipe?

Why is there a huge section of the fort just completely open to the caverns?

Why are there so many stairways and yet so few paths through the fort?  Pathing in this place is a disaster wrapped in a shitstorm topped with a sauce made of you-must-be-kidding.  It takes forever to get ANYWHERE.

On the bright side, computer is chugging along at 18-24 FPS, so it's technically playable.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 13, 2015, 08:57:19 pm »

OOC: OK.  This place is a shithole.  And I mean, for realz.  Holy mother of little baby Armok.

What is the purpose (assuming there is one) of the huge ring around the magma pipe?

Why is there a huge section of the fort just completely open to the caverns?

Why are there so many stairways and yet so few paths through the fort?  Pathing in this place is a disaster wrapped in a shitstorm topped with a sauce made of you-must-be-kidding.  It takes forever to get ANYWHERE.

On the bright side, computer is chugging along at 18-24 FPS, so it's technically playable.
I'm so happy to see that most of that confusingness is not my fault. Like that ring (that is, in fact, the place from where the Chuck Norris spider entered).
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:09 pm »

Reading stuff like this, I,m really fucking afraid to know what the place is truly like ten+ turns after i left. I mean, back in the days, we had a sucky design because the fort was young and juggling some ''problems''. Then it took a turn for the worse because we had more forgotten beasts than dwarves living in the fortress. But at the end of my turn the place seemed half-manageable. then someone made another fortress, and... I don't know. I,m seriously not sure what happened in the eight following turns that nobody could improve on the design but actually made every single part of it worse. Like how is this possible.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:27 pm »

All I did was do some mining, I didn't make any layout changes or alt. routes at all. 

I mean, it was pretty bad, but I found it at least semi-manageable. Probably because tho goals of my turn were so basic.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:02 am »

OOC: In other news, it looks like I finally managed to fix the broken tileset... so if nothing else, at least we can see what the hell is going on.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 15, 2015, 08:39:53 am »

Oh... so I was telling you the story of when I was overseer!  I remember now! 

So... Mate the meany threw the hat at me and ran off laughing.  He does things like that.  So I put the hat on, and I thought, well, now I can get some things built!  I told everyone I saw to build a big fort at the entrance, so the goblins would leave us alone!  But... I don't know.  Things go wrong sometimes I guess.

The first thing I had to do was find out if Doren was really lost in the caves.  Mate said so, but he says mean things all the time.  Sometimes I don't... well.  Mother told me to like everyone, and I really try.  Most people are nice.

Doren WAS lost in the caves!  And she'd been there for almost a month!  I knew she was a soldier, but she was promoted to captain of the guard and nobody had seen her!  It was awful!  I told them to open a passage and go find her RIGHT NOW.  And they did.

So the miner came with his pick and banged on the rocks.  It made a LOT of noise.  I hoped Doren could hear, and she did!  She came running in the hole as soon as it was open!  Before she even got inside, though, a Metalcrafter named Stinthul went running past her.  Stop! I told him, but he didn't listen.  I thought everyone was supposed to listen to the overseer?  I was SO MAD.  Then we started hearing scary noises... there was some sort of flying snail thing out of the deep caves, and it shot webs and everything!  I told them to brick up the hole quick so it couldn't get inside.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The mason who built the wall said he was watching through the cracks, and... well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bet he wishes he'd listened to me now!  The caves are dangerous!  But at least Doren is safe.  She said Mate had told her I wanted to meet her in the caves, and she believed him, and so she went and waited and waited and when she came back, he had closed up the hole.  I don't know why he would do that.  I told her there must be some mistake but... I don't know.  Some dwarfs are really, really mean.  I try not to be mean, but when I hear things like that, sometimes I think mean thoughts.

A few days later everyone was yelling that we were under siege by goblins.  I got scared for a minute, then they told me it was by "goblin".  There's only one!  Goblins are silly sometimes.  It's a goblin with a bow camping out by the old troglodyte bone pile.

Then some dwarf got possessed by something!  I'm not surprised.  There are all kinds of bodies and bones and blood and I don't know what else all over the place.  This place is seriously creepy at night.  I remember when the overseer was some sort of wanna-be necromancer, and another one that loved crundles, and... well.  I try not to think about all that.  But that sort of thing is why everyone here is SO UNHAPPY.  It seems like every dwarf I pass in the halls is either sad, or upset, or depressed, or I don't know what!  I wish Mother was here.  I miss her.  She would know how to throw a party and get everyone happy again.

I think they are all unhappy because it takes SO LONG to walk anywhere.  I never really paid attention before.  Wow, we walk a LOT.  Everyone is always thirsty or hungry because it takes SO LONG to get to the food and drinks.  I'm going to use my architecting and figure out a solution... I expect it will involve wider hallways and lots more stairs.

Oh right... the possessed dwarf.  It was the brewer.  He claimed a workshop, and ran around for ages collecting all kinds of things.  Finally he came out with a marble mug.  I acted impressed, but really it wasn't very pretty.  Spirits must see things different.

Meanwhile, Mate had been using his big hammer to beat someone else.  I thought it was a tantrum, or just because he's mean, but he said it was because the mayor wanted something and poor Ducim didn't make it.  Ducim is an animal dissector!  What could he make that the mayor would need?

I still think it was just to be mean.  Maybe this is what a grudge feels like.

That little kid that's been running around forever named Psycho III finally grew up.  I don't know what that name means, but anyway he's a fully grown dwarf.  I told him to get a bedroom and everything.

Because of all these spirits, I made the masons make a bunch of slabs and coffins.  We put a few ghosts to rest, but they don't seem to want to pick up the bodies.  I'm getting fed up with stuff just thrown everywhere.  I've told these dwarves to start throwing things away.  All these dead bodies and dead animals and used up clothes and junk need to go!  I had to pick up my room when I was a child, and these dwarves need to pick up their rooms too!  Ha ha ha, I sound like my Mother!

At the end of Spring, one of the Blacksmiths named Tobul went outside for something and wandered into our siege goblin.  I don't know why he was even there, but I sent the soldiers out after the goblin.  I wish we didn't have to fight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:41:44 am by Iamblichos »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 15, 2015, 09:13:28 am »

ohgod snustruck is back ohgod ohgod ohgod

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 15, 2015, 11:11:43 am »

ohgod snustruck is back ohgod ohgod ohgod

It seems he either had family that have decided to avenge him, or he has reincarnated to take vengeance himself.  Either way, this can't be good.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 15, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »

some sort of flying snail thing
OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE! NOT AGAIN! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 15, 2015, 06:20:23 pm »

Gentlemen, we may have a problem.

Son of Snustok is in the fort.

I would like to extend my warmest thanks to whoever decided this fort needed to be built open to every fucking cavern in four thousand places.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 15, 2015, 10:46:13 pm »

Gentlemen, we may have a problem.

Son of Snustok is in the fort.

I would like to extend my warmest thanks to whoever decided this fort needed to be built open to every fucking cavern in four thousand places.
Yay! Not me again!
Also, seal everything viable to seal.
Don't let Mate die.
Run upstairs.
Seal the Church.
Don't let Mate die.
Seal all the stairways.
Don't let Mate die.
Lock all gates.
DON'T LET MATE DIE.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 16, 2015, 02:10:22 am »

Goddammit guys, I just suggested on 4chan that Doomforests was always fun to read and here you are trying to kill it off.

I mean, I am scared of what sort of unholy undead godbothering abomination would arise if Doomforests died, because you know it wouldn't stay dead for long.

Doomforests crawling across the landscape asking other forts if they'd like to hear the good news about Yrrargnukotz'byrngrrthok.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 16, 2015, 03:04:20 am »

Goddammit guys, I just suggested on 4chan that Doomforests was always fun to read and here you are trying to kill it off.

I mean, I am scared of what sort of unholy undead godbothering abomination would arise if Doomforests died, because you know it wouldn't stay dead for long.

Doomforests crawling across the landscape asking other forts if they'd like to hear the good news about Yrrargnukotz'byrngrrthok.
Wait, we were named in a website other than Bay12?
Woohoo! We are trascendent!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 16, 2015, 05:59:53 am »

I did, yeah, someone on the 4chan /dfg/ thread asked about good community games going on. I'm like "Oh, I know one, for certain values of good"...
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 144