Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3756932 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Oric the Frugal
« Reply #8310 on: August 15, 2013, 05:14:27 pm »

...That makes sense.

That makes sense.

If we ever get back to the Underside, we should conduct interviews with the mercenaries.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: August 15, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »

That guy that wanted 50 rupies a chapter probably wanted to fill his emptiness with ridiculous amounts of money. Cool Crab fills his emptiness with overwhelming Cool. Rilti-born wanted to fill her emptiness with Ciro.hehehehe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: August 15, 2013, 05:41:19 pm »

That guy that wanted 50 rupies a chapter probably wanted to fill his emptiness with ridiculous amounts of money.
Maybe.

Cool Crab fills his emptiness with overwhelming Cool.
Not a mercenary, and doesn't really make sense. Perhaps he's trying to fill the space that was once his soul with social acceptance or something, though.

Rilti-born wanted to fill her emptiness with Ciro.hehehehe
Not a mercenary, and ew.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: August 15, 2013, 06:57:04 pm »

Considering DL2 was several months long and definitely the "proper" First Level of the game, DL3 will be acting as a fresh start. No updates today, but you instead get to fill out one of those tedious Google Docs forms! I found the feedback from both of the last ones to be really helpful in fine-tuning the game's content.

Primarily, I want to focus on game mechanics, so the only required questions are about them. Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rtrVwgnAjBHBnQyAvAa3swt6u-jQBtfGf2ABG5TMN-I/viewform

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Updates slowed, new questionnaire
« Reply #8314 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:24 pm »

RE: Care and Feeding of Mercenaries - Yeah I don't think that's intended to be taken at face value. Or rather, maybe the person who wrote it thinks so, but we broke all those rules with Slog and nothing bad happened (apart from Slog's bad ending, anyway. Also asking Goombess her backstory is a great idea and we should do it (though maybe not right this minute.)

RE: Seducing Oric - I'm on board just for the "shacking up" pun. Though we basically already tried with that nat 1 Persuasion check.

I wonder if there's a special reason Oric's icon in the Astral Influx was all screwy. Y'know, beyond the "absolutely not" GM interference aspect.

It seems the Astral Influx adds anyone nearby who isn't Illborn (e.g has Soul Charge)  Possibly this is indicative of Oric's own Soul Charge in some way? Maybe he's on, like, Soul life support or something, and the reason he's presumably farming Soul Charge is because he's incapable of recovering it on his own. The Warrens is like an elaborate dialysis machine for Oric's soul, to keep him from pulling a Yaos.

Dammit, I'm too dumb to see the connection...

Oric's not available to select because his Soul Star is active? Which for some reason also makes his picture all distorted? Proxxy wasn't dist-

HEY WAIT A MINUTE PROXXY HAS HER SOUL STAR IN HER INVENTORY! WHY ISN'T SHE ALL YELLOW AND GLOWY!?!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:48 pm »

RE: Care and Feeding of Mercenaries - Yeah I don't think that's intended to be taken at face value. Or rather, maybe the person who wrote it thinks so, but we broke all those rules with Slog and nothing bad happened (apart from Slog's bad ending, anyway. Also asking Goombess her backstory is a great idea and we should do it (though maybe not right this minute.)

RE: Seducing Oric - I'm on board just for the "shacking up" pun. Though we basically already tried with that nat 1 Persuasion check.

I wonder if there's a special reason Oric's icon in the Astral Influx was all screwy. Y'know, beyond the "absolutely not" GM interference aspect.

It seems the Astral Influx adds anyone nearby who isn't Illborn (e.g has Soul Charge)  Possibly this is indicative of Oric's own Soul Charge in some way? Maybe he's on, like, Soul life support or something, and the reason he's presumably farming Soul Charge is because he's incapable of recovering it on his own. The Warrens is like an elaborate dialysis machine for Oric's soul, to keep him from pulling a Yaos.

Dammit, I'm too dumb to see the connection...

Oric's not available to select because his Soul Star is active? Which for some reason also makes his picture all distorted? Proxxy wasn't dist-

HEY WAIT A MINUTE PROXXY HAS HER SOUL STAR IN HER INVENTORY! WHY ISN'T SHE ALL YELLOW AND GLOWY!?!

Probably because she is a (semi-)friendly.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:09 pm »

RE: Care and Feeding of Mercenaries - Yeah I don't think that's intended to be taken at face value. Or rather, maybe the person who wrote it thinks so, but we broke all those rules with Slog and nothing bad happened

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121809.msg4119242#msg4119242
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: August 15, 2013, 10:28:10 pm »

Really liking this poll's results so far. Who knew there would be such a consensus?

The alternative battle systems seem to be the most popular option by far. This is kind of odd, considering I really dislike them and intentionally limited their use (see: Tactical Persuasion context reactions) so that the players would be choosing between essentially railroading themselves and leaving it all up to the dice + their planning/smarts. I cringe at the very idea of initiating Tactical Combat again, but if it's ever done, I definitely think I'll redo it with clearer options and less crowded status screens (think the new X-com games or similar things).

Inventory management is by far the most widely-hated part of the game. It's too deeply-ingrained to remove outright, and any changes tread a VERY fine line between the current head-desk tedium and the Elder Scrolls effect (Stolen. Goods. Stolen. Goods.) This is one I'm currently at a loss of how to improve. If anyone has any ideas on how to make inventory management less annoying without just giving people infinite inventory spaces, that's definitely something I'd love to hear.

One idea I've had is the removal of permanent storage areas. Instead, they would be added to the event tables like anything else. We did see an Overside storage area briefly during the start of CH2. Players wouldn't know when the next one would appear, but it would also encourage them to explore new rooms in hopes of a Storage Center being there to lighten the load.

Thanks for your input. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:42:49 pm by freeformschooler »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: August 15, 2013, 10:51:28 pm »

RE: Care and Feeding of Mercenaries - Yeah I don't think that's intended to be taken at face value. Or rather, maybe the person who wrote it thinks so, but we broke all those rules with Slog and nothing bad happened

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121809.msg4119242#msg4119242

What? He found us a bonus boss which lead directly to us acquiring the Polar Eye (one of our most useful plot-acquiring tools) as well as some hints for the theorycrafting that was going on at the time. It's not the job we wanted him to do...

But maybe...

It was the job we needed right then.

-snip-

Probably because she is a (semi-)friendly.

Implying that if Cherish had attempted to hit Proxxy back then, it would have zapped her? I figured she was plenty friendly at that point.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: August 15, 2013, 10:59:53 pm »

Really liking this poll's results so far. Who knew there would be such a consensus?

Inventory management is by far the most widely-hated part of the game. It's too deeply-ingrained to remove outright, and any changes tread a VERY fine line between the current head-desk tedium and the Elder Scrolls effect (Stolen. Goods. Stolen. Goods.) This is one I'm currently at a loss of how to improve. If anyone has any ideas on how to make inventory management less annoying without just giving people infinite inventory spaces, that's definitely something I'd love to hear.

I'll suggest it officially in the google doc, but I'd say a carry-weight system would be useful. That is, each item has its own weight. It veers into TES territory where one can be carrying 739 cabbages because they weigh 0.5 and your carry limit is >400, but it's more useful than items taking up one, two or three spaces in our extremely limited inventory.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: August 15, 2013, 11:03:41 pm »

I'll suggest it officially in the google doc, but I'd say a carry-weight system would be useful. That is, each item has its own weight. It veers into TES territory where one can be carrying 739 cabbages because they weigh 0.5 and your carry limit is >400, but it's more useful than items taking up one, two or three spaces in our extremely limited inventory.

Hmm... that veers into "removing the inventory spaces system entirely" territory, and that's something I'd like to avoid except as a last resort because it's been deeply-intertwined with the game since the very start. Internal consistency and all that.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: August 15, 2013, 11:38:49 pm »

If I may give a suggestions? Four free slots, them being armor, helmet, two arms. Then the regular slot system. This should free up some space and mean we have to go back and forth less often, as equipment is really what limits us, not miscellaneous crap.

You can from there add in options to get more of these 'restricted' slots such as a slot specifically for rings (which before would go in an 'arm' slot) or a 'coin' slot to free up that kind of stuff and so on. I'd imagine these would be harder to get however.

Another idea, perhaps we can eventually unlock the ability to stack items up to a certain point, with that point having the ability to rise after certain tasks/objects are used or so such.

More options for buying items to increase said carrying slots to, would be beneficial.

Giving everything a weight just overly complicates the system in my opinion.

In a less rambling and more sensible, laid out way:

-Specific Equipment Slots (Examples: Arm, Arm, Body, Head)
--Purchased like how we do things now
-General equipment slots (What we have now)
--Raised through the use of bags and storage devices, such as our backpack
-Eventual ability to stack more than just coins
--Unlocked later

My sleep deprived crack at it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: August 15, 2013, 11:59:07 pm »

Or just give everyone a free container and make an inventory system something like what The Ultimate Hero's Apprentice had, with inventory being um...hard to explain with no sleep.
Sig

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: August 16, 2013, 12:13:19 am »

If I may give a suggestions? Four free slots, them being armor, helmet, two arms. Then the regular slot system. This should free up some space and mean we have to go back and forth less often, as equipment is really what limits us, not miscellaneous crap.

You can from there add in options to get more of these 'restricted' slots such as a slot specifically for rings (which before would go in an 'arm' slot) or a 'coin' slot to free up that kind of stuff and so on. I'd imagine these would be harder to get however.

Another idea, perhaps we can eventually unlock the ability to stack items up to a certain point, with that point having the ability to rise after certain tasks/objects are used or so such.

More options for buying items to increase said carrying slots to, would be beneficial.

Giving everything a weight just overly complicates the system in my opinion.

In a less rambling and more sensible, laid out way:

-Specific Equipment Slots (Examples: Arm, Arm, Body, Head)
--Purchased like how we do things now
-General equipment slots (What we have now)
--Raised through the use of bags and storage devices, such as our backpack
-Eventual ability to stack more than just coins
--Unlocked later

My sleep deprived crack at it.

Not a bad idea. Assuming FFS doesn't want us to magically sprout slots, it could be easily implemented by making the limited-use slots a specific item like the Bag of Slots (e.g scabbard, coin purse, etc) available for purchase (fairly cheaply, given the restrictive nature of those slots.)

Really, the inventory system isn't that bad- it's just that when you add up weapon, armor, soul bound skill, and cash/restorative/buff item... it doesn't leave much room left for utility skills/abilities (e.g Polaris Eye, fancy dice things, Skill Tree/reagents,) let alone the loot you'll get from dungeoneering! Every loot drop means we immediately need to swap something out to respec, or sell something if it's a flat upgrade, and both of those things involve heading back to a shop/Underside. Heck, we've only got one free inventory slot, and that's only because we sold Cherish's only weapon! It's not like we're loaded down with things we'll never use; ignoring Proxxy (whose inventory we are not responsible for since she just joined the party kinda sorta) the only things that we don't critically need/use would be the Wind book (which we'll use when we're away from the antimagic level, and might use now anyway if we can scrape up the inventory slot for the fancy bypass potion,) and the Polaris Eye (which is becoming redundant with Goombess' Tattle but still useful for all the fancy tier information.) I'm lumping the Ring of Sexy in with our combat items since it's a tool to avoid combat in the first place. On that note, I'll mention that we're not carrying around redundant items; everything has a purpose that isn't otherwise replicated in our inventory. We're not in trouble because we're carrying around four different swords; we're already lean and mean, we just have no inventory beyond that!

Hm. That got a little wall of texty. Probably because I also am tired. TEAL DEER: WE NEED, LIKE, EACH CHARACTER TO HAVE ABOUT ONE MORE SLOT THAN THEY'VE GOT

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: August 16, 2013, 12:40:06 am »

Just add bags of slot to the loot table. We find a few we'll be good.
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 1544