Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 497763 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1410 on: January 12, 2015, 01:49:20 am »

There's also the fact that the newest Mincraft version runs... poorly.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 12, 2015, 02:21:30 am »

Yeah Minecraft may not have GPU-destroying realism, but good god does it draw a lot.

Edit: I should test it on my laptop, it's got one of the low-end AMD APUs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:23:49 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 13, 2015, 03:10:49 am »

Hello, I've yet another issue with my computer.

Since yesterday, I cannot access to icons on my desktop nor open files and applications by using the "Start" menu and, when I enter "explorer" in the cmd console, I receive the message "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion;" when I rebooted yesterday, the problem was settled but it rebegin today.

How could I resolve the issue permanantely?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:02 pm »

Nothing could be easy, could it? My brother's computer is now failing POST - earlier today, it was giving 3 short beeps, pause and repeat, I reseated the RAM and now it's generating a short followed by a long, pause and repeat. Mobo is Foxconn. I can't find anything myself, anyone know what's probably having the issue?

EDIT: Now that I've fond the manual for what I think is the right mobo type, I think that the first code may be it reporting a base 64k RAM failure (which I think means one or more sticks is dead), and the seconds is I derped up reseating the sticks. Maybe.
Just seat the sticks carefully and test them one by one. If you have another computer that works, test with a stick of ram from that. If it keeps having problems you're either not seating it right or the mobo socket is bad. Also make sure you're using the right socket when the sockets aren't all full.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 14, 2015, 04:11:46 am »

Nothing could be easy, could it? My brother's computer is now failing POST - earlier today, it was giving 3 short beeps, pause and repeat, I reseated the RAM and now it's generating a short followed by a long, pause and repeat. Mobo is Foxconn. I can't find anything myself, anyone know what's probably having the issue?

EDIT: Now that I've fond the manual for what I think is the right mobo type, I think that the first code may be it reporting a base 64k RAM failure (which I think means one or more sticks is dead), and the seconds is I derped up reseating the sticks. Maybe.
Just seat the sticks carefully and test them one by one. If you have another computer that works, test with a stick of ram from that. If it keeps having problems you're either not seating it right or the mobo socket is bad. Also make sure you're using the right socket when the sockets aren't all full.

Funnily enough, tried that a day or two ago. All of the sticks seem to be good (though with one of them, while passing POST, it didn't boot up entirely), as do all the sockets. Though now when we put in more than two (he has 4 2 gig sticks) and attempt to turn it on, it says that the CPU fan is dead (which it clearly isn't).

Something tells me that his motherboard is on the way out, though I won't be sure until we've gone over the whole thing with a can of air (the only reason we haven't yet is my brother insists it's not the issue (though you should see his CPU heatsink. Put simply, you can't tell the fins apart, it's so choked with dust)) and try once more.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:13:45 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 15, 2015, 03:39:39 pm »

(though you should see his CPU heatsink. Put simply, you can't tell the fins apart, it's so choked with dust)) and try once more.
Oh.

I'd put pretty good odds he's already ruined something important then, either the motherboard or the CPU.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 17, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »

Hello,

I would like to know if "C:\Program Files\003\buuoujqmrk32.exe" is a malware.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 17, 2015, 02:59:41 pm »

A cursory google search says it's malware but generally isn't picked up by antivirus scanners so maybe isn't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 18, 2015, 06:52:13 am »

you should install gentoo and see if that helps.

googling "is [filename] malware" will always turn up "yes". try using a virus scanner.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: January 18, 2015, 12:46:07 pm »

Hello,

I would like to know if "C:\Program Files\003\buuoujqmrk32.exe" is a malware.
thats malware, just delete it and be done with it.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 22, 2015, 06:41:57 am »

I have a very old scanner (Mustek UB1200 Plus), which doesn't work on Windows 7 x64 due to a lack of drivers for 64-bit systems. Windows 7 displays it as an "unknown device".
I installed its drivers in Windows XP Mode. However, I can't connect the scanner to the virtual Windows XP: Windows Virtual PC also displays it as an unknown device, trying to connect it to Windows XP through Virtual PC (USB - Attach...) brings up an error message.

What should I do: try connecting the scanner through other means, try it in a different virtualization program, or simply buy a new scanner?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 22, 2015, 11:09:48 am »

Probably buy a new scanner.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 22, 2015, 11:23:40 am »

A quick google suggests VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/) might have its own driver for the scanner, you could try that.

Failing that, you probably need a new scanner.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:27:10 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 03, 2015, 02:49:56 pm »

So I agreed to build a computer for someone (and be paid quite well for it). Is this a decent computer we came up with? He wants to be able to do decent gaming and have it work with a capture card.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 03, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »

I'd personally drop the soundcard and replace the WiFi USB poppet with a proper WiFi card with antennas. Or just cable the damn thing to the router for a fraction of the cost and better reliability.

The 660 is slightly old now, still good but you might consider the 750ti instead, similar performance IIRC and a hell of a lot quieter.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 348