Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 962129 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4050 on: May 04, 2016, 07:48:31 am »

So, 40kJean's choice is to serve either the real corpse, or a man-made god.
Text To Speech Device did it first with Decius, and better for that matter.

Yeah, that's where I got it :P But I meant, like, incorporating it into DoW 3 or something, because people said the SoB had no plot relevance. Undoing ten thousand years of inhumane dogma written by a traitor is pretty plot-relevant, I think, like in Text to Speech.

snip

That makes sense, thanks!

Another question: what's the birthrate of psykers?

If the Golden Throne needed a thousand psykers every day to keep it working, for the ten thousand years the Emperor has been interred, then 3.65 x 10^9 psykers have been killed, not counting Astropaths, sanctioned psykers, plus all the rogue psykers and their ilk. For that matter, do they ever mention the Imperium's population?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:58:19 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: May 04, 2016, 07:55:58 am »

Well, the imperium is fuckhugetm population wise, and the both the inquisition and the administratrum (or rather, the first through the second) scans the populace for psyker potential, and its been hinted that humanity is becoming exponentially more psychic as time goes by, so finding psyker to sustain the astronimican is prob not that hard, the hard part must be all the logistics required to transport them to terra :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:47 am »

On the average world psykers are born at a rate of 1 psyker per million births, on some other planets it's as common as 1 per thousand. On really psychic worlds like Prospero it seems to be nearly all psykers, but such worlds usually implode into psychic phenomena really fast.

Given the Imperium's population the average Hive World should have 1000 or more psykers on it, though the exact number will fluctuate as they're kept imprisoned and shipped off world by the Black Ship every few decades.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:52 am »

I can only image the terror that a Tau demon prince would be to behold, given the shit they would have to get up to to get to that point. Might be a cool place to bring mr. fire warrior champion of khorn dude.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: May 04, 2016, 09:28:40 am »

The kind of stuff you have to do to even get eligible for daemonhood is really absurd, and even then you might not get it because your god felt specially dickish. It usualy takes literal ages of service or really utterly absurd acts like somehow corrupting several entire planets to chaos, retrieving legendary artifacts and so on. You'd prob never see a Tau daemon since they'd never actualy live long enough to provide enough service. There's a reason most ~recent~ daemon princes used to be chaos marines and primarchs.

I mean, the Rak'Gol worship Khorne (I think) and they have no daemons among their numbers, prob because they never live long enough to do anything of special worth.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: May 04, 2016, 09:38:58 am »

I mean, the Rak'Gol worship Khorne (I think) and they have no daemons among their numbers, prob because they never live long enough to do anything of special worth.

The Rak'Gol are lead by psykers, so it's probably safe to say they don't worship Khorne.

They appear to worship the Yuu'Vath, or at least covet their artifacts, rather than worshiping an actual chaos god. They could be one of the races that worships chaos itself rather than the gods and daemons of the Warp, since there's been a few of them.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4056 on: May 04, 2016, 10:16:24 am »

Nonhumans can become daemons, but it's exceedingly rare as the other major candidates are all out. Slaanesh keeps all of hir Eldar safely stored in the Sea of Dicks, and the few Eldar who go to other gods have to also stay hidden because nothing really deters Slaanesh. Orks are immune to chaos by design, Necrons have no souls, Tyranid daemons only exist in All Guardsmen Party, and while Tau probably could do it they'd have to do exponentially greater work to attain daemonhood.
Only minor xenos are really eligible, like the Yu'Vath, who were so thoroughly corrupted their leaders were their daemons.
Possessed and corrupted tyranids, but surely there must be some nidbug world in the warp, that's protected by their chittery hive mind?
Also lol, I like how nids are ok with invading most demon worlds, just not nurgle ones. Seems even trying to clean a nurgle one with nid enzymes is just not worth the effort

Well, the imperium is fuckhugetm population wise, and the both the inquisition and the administratrum (or rather, the first through the second) scans the populace for psyker potential, and its been hinted that humanity is becoming exponentially more psychic as time goes by, so finding psyker to sustain the astronimican is prob not that hard, the hard part must be all the logistics required to transport them to terra :v
It'd be kinda funny one day for the plot to advance and the scanner people to lose their shit when one day everyone is registered as a psyker

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4057 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:03 am »

But the nuns with guns are the Sisters of Battle, not the Sororitas as a whole. As far as I know, the rest of the Sororitas are like actual nuns, who go around building Scholas, spreading faith, etc. A cool plot for them, in my opinion, would be a Joan of Arc-ish story.
This literally happened in fluff though.
During the Age of Apostasy, there was this one guy - Goge Vandire, Master of the Administratum. Pretty swell guy, was a bit sad that he isin't Emperor and then assasinated the Ecclesiarch, which in turn allowed him to raise and equip millions of fanatical Imperial Cultists and Frateris Templars, which in turn allowed him to take control over whole Imperium, and he was really evil (slaughtered sectors worth of people for no actual reason) and he also had those private female bodyguards called Daughters of the Emperor which he renamed the Brides of the Emperor... yeah he was fucking them but that's irrelevant.
Then Sebastian Thor appeared and being apparently helped by Emperor himself (the warp storm called "Storm of Emperors Wrath" ate majority of Vandire fleet) went to Terra with Marines and Adeptus Mechanicus and then Goge went into hiding in Imperial Palace so all those Marines and Custodes and Mechanicus and Imperial Guard and who the fuck knows what else went to get him because, well, what at worst can happen?
Brides of Emperor happened.
The Thorian forces couldn't get past them for shit. Bunch of action girls with no official organization or training basically stopped the biggest Imperial army since Great Crusade. Finally, sick of this shit Custodes infiltrated their positions and kidnapped Alicia Dominica, the leader of Brides of Emperor and took her to a metting with the Big E himself... and while we aren't exactly sure what happened there (and TTS version is apparently just Golden Banana telling her to shoot Vandire because Emperor wants her to) there's a chance it was the ultimate truth revelation that Emperor isin't actually a God.
She then was filled with rage and went to execute Goge Vandire which last words were "I don't have time to die; I'm too busy". Yeah, you always have time to die in 40k.
In the end she with Thor reformed her sect (again called "Daughters of the Emperor") into Adepta Sororitas we know now and everyone purged heretics hapilly ever after.

So yeah, Adepta Sororitas have their big moment in Imperial history (without them the Imperium would either be 100x times as zealous and retarded or ceased to exist long time ago due to all retardness and zealotry, so there's that), it was just never really shown much... and after HH is finished, we might get something about this.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: May 04, 2016, 10:29:32 am »

Interestingly the Skitarii codex mentions that the Mechanicus thinks it has found the location of an STC containing the knowledge of all psychic technology from before the Age of Strife. If they can retrieve it from the Eye of Terror they can control, advance and generally cheatcode mankind's psychic ascension into uber mode and enable humanity to zerg rush the galaxy as a race of full blown psykers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:05 am »

I can't decide if that's the kind of thing that mechanicus would never do or if it's totally the kind of thing it would do.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: May 04, 2016, 10:41:55 am »

Its an STC, they'd prob either lock it away and only use it themselves or use it on everyone, considering how the mechanicus handles newfound awesome STC.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:33 am »

enable humanity to zerg rush the galaxy as a race of full blown psykers.
Since that went so well for the space dick elves.  :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: May 04, 2016, 10:47:42 am »

A psychic STC... that's been sitting in the Eye of Terror for millenia. Welp, there is absolutely no chance this could go wrong in any way.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:46 am »

Alright, let's do some psyker math.

The Imperium rules over "a million worlds", and psykers are about 1 in a million. I'll take that to mean the range beginning at Eta // Theta // Iota up to Alpha Plus. 1d4chan doesn't cite their source but gives Gamma // Delta psykers a rate of 1 in a billion. This is important to give us some sense of how the rarity of psyker grades proceeds.

Now, the population of the Imperium: I'm going to assume the million worlds statistic refers purely to human inhabited planets, not also dead worlds in Imperial territory. This is sort of an issue due to the way the Imperial population is distributed. Agri Worlds in the millions, Hive Worlds up to 500,000,000, at least one Pleasure World over a billion, Civilized Worlds, Death Worlds, Cardinal Worlds?! How in Throne's name to measure that? Well, Lexicarnium puts the number of Hive Worlds in the Imperium at 32,380. Earth would probably be classified as a Agri/Pleasure World at 7 billion, while Holy Terra is said to have "billions". I think it's fair to assume Holy Terra is the most populated world in all the Imperium, and thus would be greater than the runner up of Ichar IV at 500 billion but less than 1 trillion.

Now, Earth is probably among the most suitable worlds for humans possible, but if we take a figure near its population as about an average baseline for the Imperium we get 5 billion times 1 million, which gives the Imperium a population of 5 quadrillion. God damn. I don't think that's fully unreasonable, but let's do some checking. The lowest recorded Hive World is Landunder at just under 1 billion (pathetic), while the highest exempting Terra is again Ichar IV at 500 billion. I went through all the listed populations of Hive Worlds on Lexicarnium and found their mean to be 58.2 billion (set of 18). 58.2 billion*32,380= 1.8 quadrillion.

Well hot damn, 5 quadrillion looks like it's actually reasonable. Granted, no other worlds are going to have that kind of concentration, but if a mere 32 thousand of a million holds nearly 2/5ths of the Imperial population the other 968,000 making up 3 quadrillion isn't unreasonable.

Alright, finally on to psykers. 5 quadrillion/1 million = 500 billion Imperial psykers from Eta to Alpha Plus at any given time. Incidentally, this means that Cheesecake's need for 3.65 billion psykers over 10,000 years is not only possible, the Imperium could feed the Emperor for another 10,000 years and then some with just their current psykers if they could keep them alive. Our psyker baseline begins with the difference between Iota to Alpha Plus and Delta to Alpha Plus, that being 5 million and thus lending us to 4.9 billion Iota-Eta psykers and setting the rarity progression.

The main population of the Imperium goes from Sigma to Kappa, and they're almost 4,999,500,000,000,000 of the population. This is where things get very hard to quantify. Omicron through Kappa are "lucky people" who can subtly warp reality, while Sigma through Tau people are "mundanes", not warp-negative enough to spread a hate plague and shrug off daemons, but warp-negative enough that the psyfire might leave a second-degree burn instead of a third-degree one, or who might not see warp ghosts in the local haunt while everyone can. Everyone has definitely met people who are lucky or kind of dense seeming, so I think it's fair to say that the distribution isn't that skewed towards Rho/Pi. The other thing is that it seems like the distribution should be heaver on psi-positive instead of psi-negative, both because blanks are generally described as more exotically rare and because humanity has been increasing in psychicness, not decreasing.

I looked, and sadly, there's no studies showing what percentage of people are lucky. Alas, I'll just have to do some guess work. Most people aren't lucky, but even fewer should be dense. So... 20% lucky, 5% mundane, and 75% baseline.

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to really measure the true blanks past Sigma, so that's pure estimation based on other numbers.

Nevertheless, this means that the total population of the Imperium, divided by psychic assignment, is:

Omega-Minus: ~Ten Thousands
Omega:~ Millions
Upsilon // Phi // Chi // Psi: ~ Billions

Sigma // Tau: 249,975,000,000,000
Rho // Pi: 3,749,625,000,000,000
Omicron // Xi // Nu // Mu // Lambda // Kappa: 999,900,000,000,000

Iota // Theta // Eta: 4,995,000,000
Zeta // Epsilon: 4,500,000
Delta // Gamma: 450,000
Beta // Alpha: 45,000
Alpha-Plus: ~5,000
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: May 04, 2016, 11:15:46 am »

enable humanity to zerg rush the galaxy as a race of full blown psykers.
Since that went so well for the space dick elves.  :P

Depends on what the STC tech can do. There's a lot of tech out there that helps protect psykers from nasty warp stuff, if the humans used to have something that did it better than their current stuff does they might be able to make psykers with no downsides.

EDIT: GW have posted a first draft of some errata for 40k on their facebook page... and they're asking for feedback on it. I'm pleasantly surprised by that. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1610528622601104&id=1575682476085719
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:08:27 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 824