Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 220386 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1155 on: December 13, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »

Keep it civil guys. If I update tonight, it will be right before I go to sleep. I have two Pokemon Tabletop Games to prep for. You can expect this to slow down on weekends a bit from now on.
Pokemon tabletop?  Huh.
Guess I should'a figured they exist, but still.  Huh.

Don't worry, you're allowed to have some semblance of an outside life.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:53 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger: This is another issue where nobody agrees with you. People want to repopulate our race, worship Nocteclaw and eat people. You, for reasons unknown to me, do not. Why?
He mentioned, earlier on a few occassions that he was hoping our character died, this was after the huge clusterfuck argument.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 13, 2012, 10:15:44 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger: This is another issue where nobody agrees with you. People want to repopulate our race, worship Nocteclaw and eat people. You, for reasons unknown to me, do not. Why?
He mentioned, earlier on a few occassions that he was hoping our character died, this was after the huge clusterfuck argument.
Hm.
Maybe his ulterior motive is playing a lesbian night troll?
...Probably not.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 14, 2012, 03:13:23 am »

Don't automatically conclude that everybody thinks like you.
Repopulate: yes, but slowly.
Worship: no
eat people: NOT ALL OF THEM.
(convert alice: yes-gift of the left stone ... or try to get the gift of the right stone.)
Hm.
...Probably not.
One occasion. Here
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 14, 2012, 04:22:47 am »

Look, let's focus on the matter at hand - we probably don't have enough time for a proper conversion in any case.

To reiterate my previous post, imo we should focus on traps and barricading up entrances. Less of the endless alice debate, more defensive stategy!

And I'd like to stress again that our captive is a rogue - doubling up her restraints might be wise.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:24:23 am by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 14, 2012, 05:34:26 am »

We have returned to one of our bases. If only one elf escapes they will attack the base in even greater numbers. I advise a scorched earth strategy. Literally. Freeze a powerful fireball in time - in one of the side rooms. Close all windows. Release it once you see the elves enter the Building. Also: wear the soul catcher amulet while doing so. After that hunt down any survivors as good as possible.

If we can't create a fireball powerful enough we can use many smaller ones and shoot them into a sphere of gradually slowing time.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:51:49 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 14, 2012, 06:38:28 am »

Pretty much all of that is true for humans, too, and you don't need millions of people to reproduce. We work together anyway. Besides, if we are even halfway decent at choosing a recipient for the gift, we'll choose someone that works well with us.
Imagine a simple situation, men or women or both find a way to reproduce without opposite gender (that's close tech-wise actually. Modern genetics aren't far away from making woman+woman = baby. With males it's harder, but probably possible) Don't you think that this will change humanity forever? That may bring female vs male war easily

Not "doing anything not to anger her." Besides, it's always good to get on gods' good sides. Gods help their servants
Also gods have a habit to punish servants of other gods. Serving Nocteclaw = fighting with Sol and probably many other gods. Who are stronger then Nocteclaw

1. Not competitors, associates. And why not both?

That's not how predators behave. Only pack mentality can keep them close. But then there are wars between packs
And if you want many female trolls: Do the math. There are almost no long term difference in Alice and all her daughters(granddaughters, grand granddaughters....)  have as many daughters as needed and Alice's only daughter and here descendants make as many babies as needed

I mentioned that after you decided to spend the left stone gift to convert the mermaid. I dislike it for many, many reasons and still prefer character death to that. My current preference for the left stone gift usage. Convert Alice> keep it to impregnate a right consort > don't spend it at all  > spend it on random housewife > die with it >  spend it on the zealot

And still my main motivation in converting Alice is roleplayish one. We can treat Alice in only 3 ways - keep her weak and dependent on her father(human) , make her somewhat stronger and bound to us (consorting) and make her much stronger and free (convert her into female night troll)
While normal human ethics may suggest that not converting at all is the best thing we can do for a friend, we are playing a night troll, who surely thinks that his only friend deserves something much better then being a weak human (prey) even if she thinks otherwise

We have returned to one of our bases. If only one elf escapes they will attack the base in even greater numbers. I advise a scorched earth strategy. Literally. Freeze a powerful fireball in time - in one of the side rooms. Close all windows. Release it once you see the elves enter the Building. Also: wear the soul catcher amulet while doing so. After that hunt down any survivors as good as possible.
I support this, including soul catching,  but instead of one big fireball, many smaller frozen fire spells, we don't want to fry ourself
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:43:03 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 14, 2012, 07:06:38 am »

I repeat my position that we should cover the windows of the barn to make it dark enough for shadow control, protect us from arrows(to dark to see) and make the elves easy targets(the only source of light, the entrance, will be directly behind them.)
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 14, 2012, 07:16:05 am »

Do we really need to lock ourselves down? Our characters are stealthy and can hide outside pretty well
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 14, 2012, 07:42:10 am »

Don't automatically conclude that everybody thinks like you.
Arguments posed suggest that the majority is on his side.

Repopulate: yes, but slowly.
Worship: no
eat people: NOT ALL OF THEM.
(convert alice: yes-gift of the left stone ... or try to get the gift of the right stone.)
How slowly do you mean, why not, duh, and why.

Hm.
...Probably not.
One occasion. Here
Doesn't really explain motives.

Pretty much all of that is true for humans, too, and you don't need millions of people to reproduce. We work together anyway. Besides, if we are even halfway decent at choosing a recipient for the gift, we'll choose someone that works well with us.
Imagine a simple situation, men or women or both find a way to reproduce without opposite gender (that's close tech-wise actually. Modern genetics aren't far away from making woman+woman = baby. With males it's harder, but probably possible) Don't you think that this will change humanity forever? That may bring female vs male war easily
You've read too much bad science fiction. Humans and night trolls alike will have ties which bind them without needing reproduction. Do you work with your coworkers at work? Either you work with people you never intend to mate with or your employment situation is rather shaky.
Ties between us night trolls will be even stronger because we're all family.

Not "doing anything not to anger her." Besides, it's always good to get on gods' good sides. Gods help their servants
Also gods have a habit to punish servants of other gods. Serving Nocteclaw = fighting with Sol and probably many other gods. Who are stronger then Nocteclaw
Sol probably doesn't like night creatures in general. There are also a lot more Nocteclawean servants around who might like us than Solian servants who are around. Also, we owe Nocteclaw, and his/her decision that we pray to him/her about isn't binding.

1. Not competitors, associates. And why not both?

That's not how predators behave. Only pack mentality can keep them close. But then there are wars between packs
And if you want many female trolls: Do the math. There are almost no long term difference in Alice and all her daughters(granddaughters, grand granddaughters....)  have as many daughters as needed and Alice's only daughter and here descendants make as many babies as needed
We're not wolves, and in fact wolves work together better than you assume we would. We're people, we can work together.
By your logic, all human societies should have collapsed long ago.

I mentioned that after you decided to spend the left stone gift to convert the mermaid. I dislike it for many, many reasons and still prefer character death to that. My current preference for the left stone gift usage. Convert Alice> keep it to impregnate a right consort > don't spend it at all  > spend it on random housewife > die with it >  spend it on the zealot
You'd rather not spend it or DIE than spend it on the mermaid? Fool. Seriously, it's good to have allies with the merfolk and a night troll line which can't be so easily slain. If the elves drive us out of their forest, we will have the endless seas.

And still my main motivation in converting Alice is roleplayish one. We can treat Alice in only 3 ways - keep her weak and dependent on her father(human) , make her somewhat stronger and bound to us (consorting) and make her much stronger and free (convert her into female night troll)
Consorts aren't bound forever. Anyways, Alice has already said we could consortify her.

While normal human ethics may suggest that not converting at all is the best thing we can do for a friend, we are playing a night troll, who surely thinks that his only friend deserves something much better then being a weak human (prey) even if she thinks otherwise
We also need to keep other things in mind. While I'm not against turning Alice into a female night troll on principal, I'd rather make sure she's willing to have kids before using our most valuable gift on someone who can't fully utilize it.

I support this, including soul catching,  but instead of one big fireball, many smaller frozen fire spells, we don't want to fry ourself
I'm not sure about burning down our own house...
But I have nothing better.

Do we really need to lock ourselves down? Our characters are stealthy and can hide outside pretty well
The posse slightly put numbers us.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:13 am »

We're not wolves, and in fact wolves work together better than you assume we would. We're people, we can work together.
By your logic, all human societies should have collapsed long ago.
Night trolls aren't humans. Different morals, different life span, different instincts, different food and no dark god to rule. And humans had many, many wars with nations far less different than different branches of night trolls 
And by my logic, many human societies had collapsed long time ago.

You'd rather not spend it or DIE than spend it on the mermaid? Fool. Seriously, it's good to have allies with the merfolk and a night troll line which can't be so easily slain. If the elves drive us out of their forest, we will have the endless seas.
Yes, genius. I don't want to create a totally independent powerful  subrace of zealots that most likely will be either enemies or masters for our sons
Do you know what happens when fanatically religious group meets  atheistic, less religious or wrong religion group?

Consorts aren't bound forever. Anyways, Alice has already said we could consortify her.
They are. They can't reproduce without night trolls (or maybe troll  that converted consort) , that's quite binding. Female night troll can choose their mate freely

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:06 am »

Yes, genius. I don't want to create a totally independent powerful  subrace of zealots that most likely will be either enemies or masters for our sons
Do you know what happens when fanatically religious group meets  atheistic, less religious or wrong religion group?
sharks don't compete with wolves. the mermaid is equipped with a number of magical trinkets that allows her to leave the water; the fact that mermaids aren't a land conquering power hints that these trinkets aren't that common. if you want to minimize the competition for our children, creating a night creature that hunts in a completely different ecosystem, and is even unable to naturally enter our children' domain, would be the perfect choice
if it was up to me we'd be fanatically religious too. religion makes a lot more sense and is an even better world domination tool in a world where gods actually exist. besides, since we're the ones choosing who to get the leftstone, that'd give us a status second only to noctclaw itself among the newly created race. do you think religious fanatics would go after us, noctlaw's chosen, the reviver of the night troll race?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:19 am »

sharks don't compete with wolves. the mermaid is equipped with a number of magical trinkets that allows her to leave the water; the fact that mermaids aren't a land conquering power hints that these trinkets aren't that common. if you want to minimize the competition for our children, creating a night creature that hunts in a completely different ecosystem, and is even unable to naturally enter our children' domain, would be the perfect choice
1) Night trolls need to hunt, suitable prey is present only on shores. Ecosystem is same
2) They will be amphibious not marine.
3) They may evolve in many other different kind of night trolls
4) Do you see any seas around? Those merfolks are surely river\lake based

if it was up to me we'd be fanatically religious too. religion makes a lot more sense and is an even better world domination tool in a world where gods actually exist
Well that's exactly why I'd rather see character dead. I don't like religious pure evil fanatics way, not the kind of story I like and not the way I'd like to see character developed. All the story before, like nice relationships with Gwen, or friendship with Alice are much more fun for me. Not evil force that strives to conquer the world, no matter what but race with it's own moral code that want to survive.
As for  an even better world domination tool: munchkin detected.

besides, since we're the ones choosing who to get the leftstone, that'd give us a status second only to noctclaw itself among the newly created race.
Well, I agree. If we'll be totally obedient to Noctclaw, fanatics will like us and may be not masters but slaves. But then we are slaves of Noctclaw, no much better fate
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:54:44 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 14, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »

1) Night trolls need to hunt, suitable prey is present only on shores. Ecosystem is same
what? no. mermaids are suitable prey too
2) They will be amphibious not marine.
mermaids are marine, not amphibious. why would a night troll race based on an exclusively marine race be amphibious?
3) They may evolve in many other different kind of night trolls
true
4) Do you see any seas around? Those merfolks are surely river\lake based
i don't see any river either, and merpeople inhabit oceans in df universe

Well that's exactly why I'd rather see character dead.
that's where we'll have to agree to disagree. it is only natural that some of us want to see the story go a different direction than you do, though i at least find it a bit ungraceful of you to prefer to see our fun ruined just because you didn't have it your way

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »

what? no. mermaids are suitable prey too
Merfolk are very fear resistant. So no, they aren't suitable prey

mermaids are marine, not amphibious. why would a night troll race based on an exclusively marine race be amphibious?
Because they obviously can live on land, like mermaid in our tower shows. Besides we should get night troll with mermaid influenced traits not mermaid\night troll hybrid or as you say - troll based on mermaid

i don't see any river either, and merpeople inhabit oceans in df universe
My bad, haven't play DF for a long time. (Still my bad, story included mention that they are from see, forgot about it)  But what do you want to do with the problem that we are far from sea? Just spend her away and hope that sometimes, years later we'll get an ally from see? Isn't that a waste of gift?

though i at least find it a bit ungraceful of you to prefer to see our fun ruined just because you didn't have it your way
Your fun will be ruined if we switch a playing character? Really? Ouch...
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 143