Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 843660 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6255 on: December 27, 2018, 12:55:34 pm »

Monks have been pretty badass for a while, I saw some vanilla 3rd ed builds that were completely broken into OP nightmares, I'm not current tho' because I haven't tried 5th and have no plans to start.

They've kind of always been superb evasion tanks, all the way back to AD&D.
Oddly, that runs squarely counter to what I'd always heard about Monks. I.e., that they were squishy, underpowered, lacked good abilities, and (for those who care about such things) were a bit of a token dash of Eastern mysticism in a generic Western setting.

Personally I couldn't care less about that last bit, but the other points still stand. I've tried to play Monks at least three times, but none of them were in games that lasted long enough to form an impression one way or the other.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: December 27, 2018, 01:01:03 pm »

I'm not sure about vanilla. Like, yeah, certainly, you could get monks with super high AC and saves and such (although often with so much multiclassing that it's hardly recognizable as a phb monk) and sometimes they could even do good damage, the important context though is in before 4e with that amount of optimization and work literally anything becomes broken. Just normal monks were probably one of the weakest classes.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: December 27, 2018, 01:02:07 pm »

I find that the D&D community is divided on the class.

Against most physical attacking opponents the monk is really good at not getting hit and dealing a bunch of damage in return, against mages?  Not so much, anything with decent aoe or that hits automatically is going to be the bane of your existence.  So the type of campaign you're playing is going to color how you view the class.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: December 27, 2018, 01:09:25 pm »

My monk definitely does not have subpar AC. I'm at 19 at level 4, and the potential for up to 23 without any magic. My damage output isn't great, but I can just stand there in a crowd of attackers burning their rounds while the rest of the party works.

And slow fall is so powerful that every level is going to escalate until I become effectively immune at around level 12, which is when terminal velocity can't overcome the damage reduction enough to kill me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: December 27, 2018, 01:13:54 pm »

The monk is the Magikarp of D&D 5e. At low levels, it is mincemeat. At high levels, it runs circles around everything. That's why people disagree on whether it's a "good" class.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: December 27, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »

Everything could end up horribly broken in 3.5e (can't speak on 3e, never played it), though monks were one of the weakest classes all told. Perhaps the weakest of the PHB classes.

So as I've been playing a Monk in our B-Side campaign, I've come to a certain realization: I am goddamn invincible and only getting more so with every new level. Is Monk actually the most defensive class in 5e? I wasn't expecting it but I haven't had anybody land an attack roll on me in three sessions.
Monks are quite survivable in 5e, indeed. Dodge as a bonus action, Evasion and proficiency in all saving throws in the base monk path. If you're Open Hand, a touch of healing as well.

In the meatspace campaign I'm in, early on the monk got his shit kicked in throughly and constantly, but once we levelled up and Evasion started coming into play he was pretty untouchable by enemy AoE.

...Still not as tough as the Moon Druid, though, with his extra two beastshape HP bars.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: December 27, 2018, 01:40:12 pm »

I remember the funniest broken/broken build was the truenamer.

Completely useless in every build except for one very specific build, and then it's completely game-breaking OP.

I wish I remember more on it than that. But it was hilarious.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: December 27, 2018, 01:47:13 pm »

As I recall Truenamer needed to pass a skill check to use it's powers on targets, which got harder each time they tried on the same enemy. So they were a 'caster' class who could only cast on one foe so much, made worse by the skill DC being really high to start with so even with max skillranks they often couldn't do much, and this scaling got worse as levels went up.

Thing is was one of powers they got access to was at will Gate I think, which let you open a portal to another plane to call through allies, and you could make custom items that boosted skill checks which were really cheap. So a Truenamer with an item of +30 to Truenaming checks could spam their powers and gate in angels and demons at will once they reached the right level.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: December 27, 2018, 02:00:23 pm »

Yeah, Monks got improved significantly from 3.5 to 5th. I find it odd that someone claimed they're poor against Mages, because with evasion, prof in Dex saves/high Wisdom, and their multiple attacks and mobility, they're really good at getting in close in without taking damage and then disrupting concentration.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: December 27, 2018, 02:04:18 pm »

The truenamer thing sounds like the classic infinite wishes build/idea. Gate in infinite genies and wish all your problems away without doing any real work yourself. Just like real life, only it actually works in the game.

My monk definitely does not have subpar AC. I'm at 19 at level 4, and the potential for up to 23 without any magic. My damage output isn't great, but I can just stand there in a crowd of attackers burning their rounds while the rest of the party works.

Sounds like a duel welding Kensei? They certainly have better ac then most monks.

Yeah, Monks got improved significantly from 3.5 to 5th. I find it odd that someone claimed they're poor against Mages, because with evasion, prof in Dex saves/high Wisdom, and their multiple attacks and mobility, they're really good at getting in close in without taking damage and then disrupting concentration.

I believe the mention of them being weak to mages was in 3.5, where if you have 70 ac a t-rex probably can't chomp you, but fail an instant death save and rip.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: December 27, 2018, 02:30:35 pm »

As I recall Truenamer needed to pass a skill check to use it's powers on targets, which got harder each time they tried on the same enemy. So they were a 'caster' class who could only cast on one foe so much, made worse by the skill DC being really high to start with so even with max skillranks they often couldn't do much, and this scaling got worse as levels went up.

It was even worse than just that.  The skill DC scaled by challenge rating (of all things) times two, while skills generally only went up +1 per level.  So you actually got worse at truenaming as you leveled up, assuming on average you encounter enemies at your CR level.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: December 27, 2018, 04:39:52 pm »

Oh? What's your stats and build like?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: December 27, 2018, 06:24:49 pm »

Sounds like a duel welding Kensei? They certainly have better ac then most monks.
Oh? What's your stats and build like?
Lizardfolk Acolyte
Way of the Open Hand
Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 18 Cha 10
Unarmed
Base AC is 13 from natural armor.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: December 27, 2018, 06:31:52 pm »

RAW Natural Armor and monk's defense bonus don't stack, but as long as your DM's okay with that its fine.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: December 27, 2018, 06:37:32 pm »

Yeah, that one just doesn't make sense. Natural shouldn't stack with armor of course, but I'm not wearing armor to begin with.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 623