Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway  (Read 24251 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 06:53:04 am »

I am obsessed with jewelry in game.  I always (always) have a jewelry shop set up and a master jeweler slaving away cutting and setting gems, even though I can buy out whole caravans with a few gold or platinum crafts.  I just like the idea of shiny stones everywhere  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

primalucem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cursespoke
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:31 pm »

I take care of my nobles. They must have the best of the best. I know, it's shocking.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 12:33:27 pm »

I sometimes carve out a huge multiple-z room in the depths of the fortress and set a large stockpile for gems and coins, with bins set to zero, so I can see all my wealth displayed in all its glory. Even though gems and coins aren't worth that much. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:52 pm »

I have a habit of putting many, MANY chairs and tables in dining halls, and making dining halls EXTREMELY large. I seem to hate it when the total amount of dwarves in my fort take up half of the space in the dining room (or more), and so I keep extending it to be bigger, even though I don't need to since it's already classified as "Legendary" in my dwarves' thoughts.

I also put all of my levers in there which is a bad idea, but I actually haven't had anything bad happen because of that yet. Mainly because I forget to connect the levers.

I tend to do something like this too, with a large room with way more chairs and tables than it actually needs for my usual population of around 40-80 dwarves. I also tend to place my main gate controls in these rooms as chances are this is where all the idlers are hanging out.

I also nearly always have the miners dig out 3x3 rooms for non-nobility and important administrative dorfs (broker, manager, and bookkeeper,) get a 3x4 office with thier living space off it, and tend to add clear glass windows to the front part my law enforcement dorf's office, as well as put them in my barracks for reasons I do not understand. 3-wide halls are often the norm as well, though recently I've also made heavy use of the 2 wide corridors.

I also have a nasty habit of wanting to build big ol' coin-stuffed banks with a lobby complete with teller booths (also with clear glass windows and a meeting area designated off a statue inside said lobby,) optionally some security guards, and a coin vault. I have yet to properly finish such a structure. All in all? A pointless project for items I don't need to produce but do anyway: Coins.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »

I have a habit of putting many, MANY chairs and tables in dining halls, and making dining halls EXTREMELY large. I seem to hate it when the total amount of dwarves in my fort take up half of the space in the dining room (or more), and so I keep extending it to be bigger, even though I don't need to since it's already classified as "Legendary" in my dwarves' thoughts.

I also put all of my levers in there which is a bad idea, but I actually haven't had anything bad happen because of that yet. Mainly because I forget to connect the levers.

I tend to do something like this too, with a large room with way more chairs and tables than it actually needs for my usual population of around 40-80 dwarves. I also tend to place my main gate controls in these rooms as chances are this is where all the idlers are hanging out.
This is actually more optimal because of the lever thing and also because it makes the dwarves less likely to make friends if they idle further away from each other.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 05:51:03 pm »

This is actually more optimal because of the lever thing and also because it makes the dwarves less likely to make friends if they idle further away from each other.
It also makes it more likely that any insane dwarfs/gremlins/whatever else likes to mess with levers will be spotted.

I also nearly always have the miners dig out 3x3 rooms for non-nobility and important administrative dorfs (broker, manager, and bookkeeper,) get a 3x4 office with thier living space off it, and tend to add clear glass windows to the front part my law enforcement dorf's office, as well as put them in my barracks for reasons I do not understand. 3-wide halls are often the norm as well, though recently I've also made heavy use of the 2 wide corridors.

I also have a nasty habit of wanting to build big ol' coin-stuffed banks with a lobby complete with teller booths (also with clear glass windows and a meeting area designated off a statue inside said lobby,) optionally some security guards, and a coin vault. I have yet to properly finish such a structure. All in all? A pointless project for items I don't need to produce but do anyway: Coins.
Big rooms are an easy source of a happy.  Bigger room=more surface to smooth and engrave=more expensive room=happy thoughts.  Thus I think this is actually optimal
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 05:56:24 pm »

I used to put levers in my dining rooms exclusively, but then I ran into problems with berserk dwarves smashing levers that are hard to reconnect.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 06:02:59 pm »

I used to put levers in my dining rooms exclusively, but then I ran into problems with berserk dwarves smashing levers that are hard to reconnect.

You know, I never had issues with dwarves trashing levers. They'd knock stuff around them over, topple nearby workshops, and punch other dwarves (and if they were children doing the punching, blatantly murder other dwarves with no repercussions,) but have never had upset dwarves hurt the levers unless you count a coating of blood and possibly vomit.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »

I keep mine in a room directly connected to the mine dining room, with several guard dogs pastured outside the room.  I dig the room with narrow 3x1 and 1x2 hallways branching off, then I place the levers in a pattern that helps me remember what they do (with notes as back up).
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 09:32:04 pm »

I always make a small emergency fortress in the soil layers for the first years of my game. Mostly because I like to have my fortresses well made, so they take years to be functional. I never, ever, EVER, make any definitive places less than 2z in height; I hate the idea that my might fortress has walls lower than my room. I also build pillars in evenly distributed spaces, as if the floors had to be supported.

I also like to build arches and columns in my fortresses. I dream of replicating the design of the Hagia Sophia in one of my halls, but never managed to do so.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 03:28:35 am »

I always make a small emergency fortress in the soil layers for the first years of my game. Mostly because I like to have my fortresses well made, so they take years to be functional. I never, ever, EVER, make any definitive places less than 2z in height; I hate the idea that my might fortress has walls lower than my room. I also build pillars in evenly distributed spaces, as if the floors had to be supported.

I also like to build arches and columns in my fortresses. I dream of replicating the design of the Hagia Sophia in one of my halls, but never managed to do so.

That would probably be a pretty cool mega project.

As for me, I never build temporary forts in the dirt before my main fort. I just set up anything I need in the first year or two in the area I channel out of a hill/mountain side that will end up being the military training area/entrance then move things as different areas get dug out.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 08:07:55 am »

I know cave-ins only happen in extremely contrieved situations, but workshops and stockpiles should have proper walls, damnit!
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:16 am »

Haven't played in a bit.  I've got what appear to be uncommon inefficiencies about using steel instead of candy (don't think I've ever really used candy for anything - just don't run my forts that long due to lag) and not setting up a military for a long while.  I also don't tend to use marksdwarves often.

I have no idea of the efficiency of my layout.  I tend to create a square main fortress with walls separating out nine internal blocks.  On main levels, they all access the center block; stockpiles related to the workshops are located above and below.  This is repeated entirely with a forge level, except the layer immediately below the forges is for magma - stairs extend through that (with suitable buffers of course) for storage of ores and bars.  I dig all this out before letting in magma, as well as clear and smooth the layer that's going to be full of magma.

The nine main blocks also lend their shape to the walls that will follow the fort's perimeter on the surface.  Sometimes I'll build a tower in the middle and build a roof over the rest.  Sometimes I'll just channel out three of those blocks to create a surface farm.  I can mess around with it a little.

Other than that, I create circular rooms (with pillars) on the edges for nearly anything else.  Dining hall, barracks, trade depot, you name it.  I usually wall up my initial entrance, creating a serpentine hallway that leads to my depot through my barracks.  If I build traps, then the hallway branches into a much longer trap-free route for a wagon to use - a route which enemies will invariably skip.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »

I tend to do that on purpose. That way, tantrum spirals (and lever pulling ghosts) offer more !!FUN!! for their value, like magma and water flooding.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »

I will nearly always make a massive random multi-z-level chamber with pillars and shit and right off of my dining room and engrave the whole thing and basically go the whole 5 miles, then I never use the room for anything at all; it just sits there looking cool and being empty.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11