Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

sprites:thresher

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 77

Author Topic: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp Alpha related. ALPHA FINISHED. Go to Beta page  (Read 93172 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Hive☼ Everything Hivewasp related
« Reply #660 on: November 06, 2014, 03:24:05 am »

have we decided when and how the poll closes? as far as i know bay 12 polls don't have a time or a vote limit. also, the wasp tiles are completed, right?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 06, 2014, 05:33:30 am »

I would say that most civs would want to do something with caged sentients because in vanilla it's a long setup that leads to nothing. So if we use that feature alone most races would be slavers. The succubi are slavers mostly to keep the trading ability with races that may have a demon as a leader.

It mostly come to the art direction, if you want wasps to look like an insect hive gone large I'd totally see them replacing the antmen in the cavern group, downgrading that last civ to an animal men minor civ.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 06, 2014, 09:54:59 am »

I would say that most civs would want to do something with caged sentients because in vanilla it's a long setup that leads to nothing. So if we use that feature alone most races would be slavers. The succubi are slavers mostly to keep the trading ability with races that may have a demon as a leader.

i agree. i wish the slaver group was named something else, in fact. not to mention df humans are canonically also slavers (though actual slaves in legends mode are pretty rare, i rarely have more than 15 in a medium world at the same time)

It mostly come to the art direction, if you want wasps to look like an insect hive gone large I'd totally see them replacing the antmen in the cavern group, downgrading that last civ to an animal men minor civ.

the thing with the cavern group is that they are supposed to be playable both above ground, under ground or both. also currently there's no way to start in the caverns, so you have this weird situation where your civ is supposed to be underground, but caravans and expeditions arrive above ground.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »

have we decided when and how the poll closes? as far as i know bay 12 polls don't have a time or a vote limit.
I think it's fine to close it, the "make your own Queen" option has been in the lead for quite a while

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 06, 2014, 03:14:37 pm »

yeah, but only by three votes. then again, if i remember correctly, in the previous one we had 35 at most. how about we leave it for a couple of days and we see if something changes?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

the thing with the cavern group is that they are supposed to be playable both above ground, under ground or both. also currently there's no way to start in the caverns, so you have this weird situation where your civ is supposed to be underground, but caravans and expeditions arrive above ground.

Deep Drow in older versions of the mod had similar limitations (being technically a cavern-based race in story but attacking enemies and trading with allies overland for whatever reason.) It'd be easier to roll with it if going that way (the caverns are dangerous for small founding groups and merchant soldiers aren't the best after all!)

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 06, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »

well, the wasps are supposed to be able to set hives above ground as well. they have above ground plants and the cements allow for very, very quick constructions. so going with savage faction that colonizes above and below ground is easier to rationalize, supported by their embark options and makes sense fluffwise (they act like tribals, not like packs)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:14:57 am by than402 »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 08, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »

So, up until my post, this thread was at exactly 666 posts. Heh, devilwasps.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 09, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

Hello everyone. I just want to give another update on the reproduction system. Everything has been implemented, the queen now lays 8 eggs at a time (albeit very slowly), all bugs (and crashes) were fixed, there is only one last step me need to make before it can be considered complete, swap the test durations for their final durations.

Also, one more thing, a frost giant's skin is too thick for a larvae to pierce.

That is all for now.

EDIT: I couldn't get the bait to work so it's not being implemented, don't worry just place 10 cage traps around the map willy-nilly and you will get a steady stream of future citizens.

Question about official duration: how long should it take for an infested host to hatch into a wasp?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:39:59 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 09, 2014, 03:02:27 pm »

great news! don't forget, though, we still need graphics :)

Also, one more thing, a frost giant's skin is too thick for a larvae to pierce.

well, that... makes perfect sense in hindsight. i'm not even sure if we should fix that or let it be, i mean frost giants are supposed to be very tough to kill and making a larva able to pierce their skin means they must have a brutal bite. also, there is one more way to acquire praetorians, so it won't even be absolutely necessary.

Question about official duration: how long should it take for an infested host to hatch into a wasp?

how about 3 months?

also, about the poll:when shall we close it? it's still pretty close, but we must make a decision about it. how about 2 more days?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 09, 2014, 03:14:20 pm »

how about 3 months?

You know that makes it so that in total it will take 3 months for the egg to hatch, and 3 months for the host to hatch, that would make a total of 6 months, or half a year. If you're fine with that then sure.

Also about the frost giant one, I was thinking about adding a reaction to the infectory that would soften it's skin, more specifically give it a CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER  for larvae teeth. You would have to capture it in a cage trap first before you could infest it.

maybe close the poll in 3 more days?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 09, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »

You know that makes it so that in total it will take 3 months for the egg to hatch, and 3 months for the host to hatch, that would make a total of 6 months, or half a year. If you're fine with that then sure.

ok, so how about 9 months? so it takes a full year instead

Also about the frost giant one, I was thinking about adding a reaction to the infectory that would soften it's skin, more specifically give it a CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER  for larvae teeth. You would have to capture it in a cage trap first before you could infest it.

so, first you'll have to chain a hostile creature near a workshop, then cage it again and then throw it in a pit with larvae just to take one praetorian? let's at least make it easier for the player: make waspen teeth out of a special material and when this mod is added to masterwork, frost giants will have a force multiplier for this material.

maybe close the poll in 3 more days?

3 days it is, then

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 09, 2014, 04:35:33 pm »

ok, so how about 9 months? so it takes a full year instead

Personally I think one year is way too long for one citizen, I actually thought six months was too long. Maybe we should discuss this further?

At the current moment, if everything goes perfectly, you will get 16 citizens per year. Of course, everything has to go perfectly, which it won't. The majority of the animals you encounter will need at least 2 larvae, so let's say that the average is actually 10 citizens per year.

Now if it takes half a year for a larva to hatch, you will probably get 5 citizens by the first half of the year and another five by the second half. I think this is fine. If it takes a whole year for a larva to hatch, you will get 5 citizens per year, although the next year you will get the 10 since the larvae from the second half of the first year will hatch.

So what do you think?

What

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 09, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »

let's go with half a year (3 and 3 months) and we'll see how it goes. the good thing about waspen reproduction is that it's entirely up to the player to judge when his hive is overpopulated and when he needs new members. and with clever hive design you can have 2 or 3 queens for extra wasps.

one thing you should remember about the infectory is that it allows you to use slaves as larvae victims. i'm actually split over this, on the one hand it makes perfect sense for wasps to use their slaves as the safer way to make new wasps, but on the other hand it makes larva rushing redundant.

and one more thing: only bipedal sentient invaders can be used as larva victims, right?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 09, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »

At the current moment any creature with general poison can become larvae victims although I can easily make it do that if you want it to.

About the infectory thing, I was thinking of making it so that the workshop operator (will be called WO from now on) would get an interaction that could  give a larva an interaction that allows it to give the tamed animal the parasite syndrome that also gives it an interaction to kill the larva that infected it.

I actually like the infectory a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 77