Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 676257 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1005 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:47 am »

Is there a way to make them decompose info the soil then have the soil and have the soil shape into bloodkin

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 05, 2014, 11:54:27 am »

Not if I'm understanding what you're asking correctly. Plot wise, we can just say that Asmoth only brought a small force north with her to give them a more extreme test than they'd previously had.

Isn't it a bit odd that Armok sent four people back from the afterlife just for Oku, yet has no problem with the doctor, the baron and Shank (or an appropriate title for him) ravaging everything before them?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »

Not if I'm understanding what you're asking correctly. Plot wise, we can just say that Asmoth only brought a small force north with her to give them a more extreme test than they'd previously had.

Isn't it a bit odd that Armok sent four people back from the afterlife just for Oku, yet has no problem with the doctor, the baron and Shank (or an appropriate title for him) ravaging everything before them?

That's one of the main reasons I think the Bloodkin were a side affect, but not the intended result of whatever it was that was really going on behind the scenes at Steelhold.
Also, did we confirm that everyone who helped kill Oku was sent back by Armok, or did they come on their own volition? The Fall of Steelhold basically broke reality temporarily (remember when FireCrazy was randomly set on fire and proceeded to go on a rampage?) so it's possible that they just took advantage of the chaos, Armok not really giving two shits.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 05, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »

Can we get a 'to do list' for overseers? Like if someone didn't quite finish something in their turn, and needs to remind future overseers. Or if someone doesn't have a clue what to do with their turn.
OOC: @CaptArchmage. Please stud that spear with nickel (stockpile of nickel bars and silver spears giving to forge) and put Cornelius into squad of Flame - he carries that artifact tin axe, and Cornelius would be glad to train with him. Put an armor stand somewhere at the corner for them.
Yes! And together we can go on a crusade against the bats and the cave spiders!

Also, we have an artifact floodgate called Glowingbreaches. We're using this thing to either seal off hell or build a magma cannon.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 05, 2014, 03:14:24 pm »

Also, we have an artifact floodgate called Glowingbreaches. We're using this thing to either seal off hell or build a magma cannon.
I never mentioned that in the thread, but it got made during my turn. It has a picture of dwarfs fighting Bloodkin on it, referring to The Crazed Siege of 324. Also, considering that it will inevitably catch on fire and burn forever, I say weaponize it.

I'll actually test this out on the save. I have an idea for a weapon that could start grassfires on demand, whenever the grass happens to grow back. It'd look like this;
|_|     - Floor (At some point, magma needs to get pumped here to light the Floodgate on fire)
|x|     - Eternally Burning Floodgate (over grass) linked to a lever via a fire-proof mechanism
|. |     - Grass
To operate it, you simply close the floodgate; I'm not sure if opening the floodgate will put the fire out or if it will stop the floodgate from  lighting nearby grass while retracted, hence the testing. If the floodgate (a) remains on fire while in the open position but (b) can't light nearby grass on fire while open, this would be an extremely easy way to clear out sieges of non-fireproof invaders.

Alternatively, if only (a) is true, you could put it between two fortifications and have marksdwarves shoot through it with wooden bolts and see if that results in flaming arrows. I doubt it will, but you can hope.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »

If it works we could have our 5 legendary miners level the whole embark to make the weapon more effective. I was planning on making the fort more... regular... during my turn.

EDIT: I've been playing the fort on my own, and the hospital is great! The dwarves get fed and watered, and even the worst injuries are healed within a season. I just had a dwarf that got caught in a cave-in go missing from the hospital. Where is he? Walking around the fort with no injuries.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:36:12 pm by TheFlame52 »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 05, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »

My general workaround for dealing with the low priority of everything related to health and cleanliness is to have a lot of redundancies in place, e.g. everyone with any medical skill gets all medical jobs turned on. Who cares if they're done slowly, as long as they get done.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 05, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »

If it works we could have our 5 legendary miners level the whole embark to make the weapon more effective. I was planning on making the fort more... regular... during my turn.

EDIT: I've been playing the fort on my own, and the hospital is great! The dwarves get fed and watered, and even the worst injuries are healed within a season. I just had a dwarf that got caught in a cave-in go missing from the hospital. Where is he? Walking around the fort with no injuries.

You can thank the abundance of rubbing alcohol that Cornelius keeps in the back room.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 05, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »

So, here's the current results of testing;
-The Floodgate continues to burn while in the open position.
-Our frequent rains can extinguish the surface fires and the Floodgate, regardless of its position. So, rain at the wrong time can stop the device; it is recommended it's built close to the entrance to maximize effectiveness because of this.
-Igniting the Floodgate was not simple. I noticed that during my first attempt, the grass lit before the Floodgate (which had magma on the other side). Subsequent testing revealed that simply having magma on one side of the Floodgate didn't manage to get it to start burning.

Taking these into account, here's the 2nd Generation of what I'm going to call F.U.C.K. (Floodgate Unnecessarily Causing Killing) until someone comes up with a better acronym (please do);

Floor One:
 , , ,              -1 (Grass)
║+║             -2 (This is where flammable trash drops)
║X╚═           -3 (Floodgate (To ignite, let 1 unit of magma through, igniting a dropped log, then close the Floodgate again)
║~~~          -4 (Magma Imput (for lighting Floodgate, although this can easily be converted into short-range magma weapon)
╚═══           -5 (It's a wall. Ooooh)
+▲+             -6 (Ramp)

Floor Two:

╔═╗            -1
║=║            -2 (Floor Bars linked to lever; dump something flammable (i.e. all of our trash) here and pull lever to ignite grass fire)
║+║++       -3 (Wow, it's nothing!)
║+║- -         -4 (see 3) (- means empty space btw)
║+║++        -5 (it keeps happening)
-▼-             -6 (Access ramp)

Another feature (not depicted for obvious reasons) for the 2nd Generation plan is to build a 3x4 set of floors across the brook, muddy it via irrigation, and roof it off so cave moss will grow. This way the fire can spread across the brook, increasing our range.
Of course there's no reason to build this at all, since it requires you to have the basic setup for a magma weapon to do anyway, but damnit, it was fun to design.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 05, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »

From reading the original post again, it seems like my turn will begin in June, in surface-dweller terms.
Would it be a bit greedy to request a second turn, since that would put that turn three turns after my previous turn, given the other in-dispute turns?
Try not to let the fort collapse before I get a crack at it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 05, 2014, 04:40:44 pm »

From reading the original post again, it seems like my turn will begin in June, in surface-dweller terms.
Would it be a bit greedy to request a second turn, since that would put that turn three turns after my previous turn, given the other in-dispute turns?
Try not to let the fort collapse before I get a crack at it.

Hopefully not every player takes 2 weeks to finish their turn. If that happens, I won't be able to take my next one, on account of work starting and me having to go back to the frigid wastelands of northern Canada. Frigid during summer. Yes.
I see no real reason you can't request a second turn, although keep in mind every second turn gets bumped down if a new player comes along. Although it's a little questionable to be requesting a second turn before taking your first. Idk.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 05, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »

I was just asking.
The current person has a second turn.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 05, 2014, 06:05:35 pm »

I was just asking.
The current person has a second turn.
... no they don't.
Just said it's questionable. Never said you shouldn't do it if you want. Just that it's a little iffy.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:08 pm »

Yeah, you can have a second turn if you want, but I reserve the right to take it away if you ruin everything somehow.

Regarding the save:

1: Was it really necessary that our graveyard be a helix?

2: Why does Tarmid have no friends besides his pet rabbit?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 05, 2014, 06:30:03 pm »

2: Why does Tarmid have no friends besides his pet rabbit?

All work and no play makes Tarmid a lonely boy.

Also, that rabbit is a goddamned ninja. It was outside during every single ambush during my turn. The cattle got slaughtered. The rabbit didn't. Runs too fast, apparently.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 172