MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Двач
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>You shouldn't leech images from websites you don't own it's illegal   :(</STRONG>

I can't think of any location in the world where this would be a true statement.

Impolite yes, but no more illegal than me cussing at my cat.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MuonDecay:
<STRONG>

I can't think of any location in the world where this would be a true statement.

Impolite yes, but no more illegal than me cussing at my cat.</STRONG>

Actually, it is illegal (I'm pretty sure). And it's fucking stupid.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Even if it's not illegal (which I can't find any sources concerning, admitedly), it is bandwidth theft and generally frowned upon on most places.   It's not a big deal, I just think it's more gentlemanly to use one's own space to upload and show images off from.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Danaru:
<STRONG>

Oh my god I can't stop laughing at that image, I'm a horrible human being</STRONG>

It's tragic because a guy died, but as I've several times gotten stuck doing 12mph behind bicyclers who refused to believe they weren't cars, there's a very cold part of me laughing my ass off at that bike-splosion.  It's horrible, yes.  It's also an epic picture.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Even if it's not illegal (which I can't find any sources concerning, admitedly), it is bandwidth theft and generally frowned upon on most places.   It's not a big deal, I just think it's more gentlemanly to use one's own space to upload and show images off from.</STRONG>

Not to mention the fact that image boards like those generally don't archive images forever. Meaning this topic will be completely contextless and useless when that happens. Meh.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>

Just like how breaking into houses is the homeowner's fault for not buying security bars?  That's a terrible argument.</STRONG>

Actually, there are stories of thieves suing homeowners because they were injured trying to break-and-enter.

Crazy world, eh?

And while hotlinking is impolite, I doubt it's illegal. And that's kinda void on a forum with it's days numbered.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

/shakes fist at Fenrir

Cut that out!

Also that Dwarf Fortress advert is awesome, however rude it may be.

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

I'm a bit confused, what is the link to the russian df thread doing here... Also the community their loves swearing more than I. Other than that, it's OK =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Yeah to be a complete buzzkill here, hotlinking is not illegal. It's also legal to *gasp* give a link to another website so you can go there and see their information.

When you image-link, all you're doing is accessing just one part of their website. Their public, anyone-can-see-this-anytime website.

The moral question involved here is whether it's okay to use their bandwidth to look at just the image, without loading their advertisements. It's an assumption that they put the image and article up because they knew they would make more money in ad revenue than they would spend in bandwidth fees.

That said, CNN.com took the story and image wholesale from other news sources. One might argue that they deserve no profit from it because they didn't create it or pay anything for its creation. The Associated Press, which wrote the story, is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to news gathering and distribution. So effectively CNN.com is turning their virtuous labor into money for themselves.

I say the moral grey area here is pretty slim. Hotlinking small public files from news-leeching sites like CNN.com is perfectly fine. Hotlinking 4 mb videos from the Audubon Society website that they originally produced is probably not a nice thing to do. But it's still not illegal.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Damn, I use a picture of goats in a tree as my background...

But hey, there are a lot of goats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

I've had the BFG wallpaper that installed itself onto my desktop when I got my new graphics card since Christmas, I should really change it.
Shoes...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »

... I just realized I don't even have a wallpaper at the moment. Just a black background. 'swhat I get for having Firefox as my backdrop 90% of the time, heh.

I got a kick outta that picture. Have to admit a sort of sick fascination with the Car vs LotsOfBikes, too. Nothing wrong with that. Right? Right? *Looks over shoulder*

Pages: 1 [2]