Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999451 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6705 on: December 07, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »

I'm thinking about making a amorphous plus mod with modding but I don't know how to mod, any tips on how to get started.

You may want to start reading here: DF2012:Modding guide

And here: Shaostoul's Guide

Also, this is highly useful: Category:DF2012:Modding

And don't be shy about asking questions here. We don't bite. (Well, most of us. :P )

I've learned quite a bit just from following this thread and threads like it, reading about other people's modding problems and solutions.

Another tip:
If you don't already, I strongly suggesting hanging around on #dfmodding on irc.NewNet.net.  There are constant idea discussions and mod concepts being thrown around, and you're likely to need assistance with a mod of this size and scope.

And here's a few words of advice by profit:

A modder, and mod-user, rant

In particular, I'd like to point out this post where profit outlines what every mod readme should contain and shows just how easy they are to make. (There's no excuse for a mod lacking any sort of readme file!)

Next, I'd like to point out the Community Mods and utilities list.

In particular, you may be interested in this category of the list:

Modding Utilities: These are tools that help with modding your fortress.

In particular:
* Project: Modder's Resource
* New Notepad++ raw file highlighting mode!
* Syntax Highlighting for DF raws
* Modding Tool: Raw Explorer
* DF Raw Cloner
* Time to Ticks
* Custom Workshop Workshop
* Creation Forge - A Useful Custom Workshop
* ParseDFLogs - parse worldgen files to give a summary of various races & civs
* ParseDFLogs Executable
* DF World Tinker 0.34.11.0
* RantingRodent's Dwarf Fortress Raw Patcher
* DF Mod Manager
* DF Entity Checker v0.23
* Blast [V0.8.0a] - Now with syntax highlighter and raw formatter!

And here's a few more interesting ones:
* Creature alphabetizer
* NightS Easy Metal Creator

Also, while it's something of an advanced modding technique, DFHack allows modders to do many, many things that are otherwise impossible. For example, with TrueTransform it is now possible to permanently transform one creature into another creature. You can also instantly heal someone, including missing limbs. Or bring them back from the dead. You could even (in theory) have a catapult launch special projectiles that, on impact, transform into angry critters that attack nearby enemies. (Also, the Steamengine Plugin is cool! :D)

Finally, you may or may not find some useful ideas and info in the following older modding threads. Some of it may be outdated, though. And some haven't had a reply in months or years.

* --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --your chance--
* [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
* [MODDING] REACTIONS QUESTIONS THREAD
* The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository
* [MODDING] INTERACTION & SYNDROME QUESTIONS THREAD
* [MODDING] GRAPHICS & TILESET QUESTIONS THREAD
* Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:19:02 pm by Thundercraft »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: December 07, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »

Actually, all of those links except the first and last are newer than this topic.

It's just that this topic is slow enough without all the categorization :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: December 08, 2013, 12:56:34 am »

I know this is something that's come up a lot, but I'm not looking for the typical answers.

I'm tired of damn near every hit on an unarmored dwarf resulting in permanently crippling nerve damage.  It's kind of ridiculous.  I can understand how large slashing weapons and the like might frequently result in severed nerves, but I just fought some lizardmen blowgunners earlier whose freaking darts were permanently disabling limbs half the time.  Not to mention any successful bite/shake always severs all nerves, which can be even more ridiculous at times.

It's not something that I want to get rid of.  It's a core feature of the game that I really do like.  I just want it toned back a bit.  Is there any way to make nerves tougher or less likely to be hit?

Or another idea - I've known for a long time that spinal nervous tissue can be made to heal, while motor/sensory nerves cannot.  I just found a few days ago that the reason for this is the nervous tissue in the spine is modeled as a tissue by the game, while motor/sensory nerves aren't.  Would it maybe be possible to replace motor/sensory nerves with a tissue similar to the spinal nerves, and make it function sort of the same way?  Could this be used as a step towards what I'm looking for?  My ideal setup would have temporary disability be fairly common, but permanent crippling be the rare result of an especially gruesome blow.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: December 08, 2013, 01:28:07 am »

No.

And it's a damn shame.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: December 08, 2013, 01:37:36 am »

Damn.  Alright.  Thought it was worth asking, since every time I'd seen it brought up before, it was "how do I make this not happen ever."  But I guess that's the route I'll have to take, because as much as I want to have the potential for permanent crippling, I'm too worn out on how unbalanced it seems.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:07 am »

I know this is something that's come up a lot, but I'm not looking for the typical answers.

I'm tired of damn near every hit on an unarmored dwarf resulting in permanently crippling nerve damage.  It's kind of ridiculous...
...[snip]
...It's not something that I want to get rid of.  It's a core feature of the game that I really do like.  I just want it toned back a bit.  Is there any way to make nerves tougher or less likely to be hit?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there:

Maybe mod clothing items like shirt or trousers to function as a type of light armor - as in a bit below leather armor in protective value? That way, as long as your dwarves aren't completely naked, they always have a bit of protection.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:06:22 pm by Thundercraft »

molkemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: December 08, 2013, 11:22:54 am »

I need some help dealing with Loincloth, as they generate a lot of unhappy thoughts while rotting away on my dwarves.

I want to EITHER make it

a) be producable by my dwarves

OR

b) not allow my dwarfs to equip it at all, without affecting the goblins - they should still have loincloth.

Any help appreciated. (Note: I realise that I could dump the loincloth after every siege, but that is an unacceptable solution).

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: December 11, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »

'ello again. I seem to be crashing the game upon spawning one of my new creatures. Is anyone willing to read my raws and point out where I screwed up?

The creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The CENTAUR body template  might have something wrong with it. It's also located in its own txt file outside body_default. Is that a problem?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: December 11, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »

For starters, I see that you have two body tokens, one at creature level, one at caste level for males only. You also redefine the hoof tissue in the male caste, and the horns body part shouldn't be lower-case. Take a look at, for example, the elk raws for reference on how to give males horns (I do wonder about horned centaurs, but it's your mythology). Also, did you remove the centaur entry in creatures_fanciful?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »

For starters, I see that you have two body tokens, one at creature level, one at caste level for males only. You also redefine the hoof tissue in the male caste, and the horns body part shouldn't be lower-case. Take a look at, for example, the elk raws for reference on how to give males horns (I do wonder about horned centaurs, but it's your mythology). Also, did you remove the centaur entry in creatures_fanciful?

The fanciful centaurs have been removed. TY for your help, I'll redo the castes.
(First time I made a creature from scratch,  so I'm not surprised I screwed it up)

EDIT: Redid the caste body plans based on how it's done in the Elk raws. Removed the horns (didn't notice it was lower case) and replaced it with 2HEAD_ANTLER. Still crashed.
EDIT2: Well I'm dumb. I never defined the creature tile. Explains the crashes; the game spawns an object that isn't graphically represented.
EDIT3: Still crashes. Huh.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:18:30 pm by MDFification »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: December 11, 2013, 03:26:21 pm »

I need some help dealing with Loincloth, as they generate a lot of unhappy thoughts while rotting away on my dwarves.

I want to EITHER make it

a) be producable by my dwarves

OR

b) not allow my dwarfs to equip it at all, without affecting the goblins - they should still have loincloth.

Any help appreciated. (Note: I realise that I could dump the loincloth after every siege, but that is an unacceptable solution).

A few options here, in order of least dwarfy to most dwarfy.

1) Add [PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:FORCED] to your entity.  Now your dwarves can make their own loincloths.
2) Change the body size of goblins to make them significantly smaller or larger.  This will cause their clothing to be either "large" or "small," and your dwarves will be unable to equip them.
3) Remove clothing definitions from the goblin entity.  Goblins don't need clothes anyway, stupid green ale-less savages.
4) Dispose of goblins using magma.  Loincloths tend not to survive that.  Funnily enough, neither do goblins.
5) Use itemsyndrome to make any dwarf the equips a loincloth bleed to death from every orifice.
6) Same as #5, but adding [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] to prevent bad thoughts in other dwarves.  SHUN THE LOINCLOTH WEARER!  SHUN!

That's about as close to [ETHIC:WEAR_LOINCLOTH:PUNISH_DIVINE] as I can get.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:30:18 pm by narhiril »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: December 11, 2013, 03:49:32 pm »

5) Use itemsyndrome to make any dwarf the equips a loincloth bleed to death from every orifice.
6) Same as #5, but adding [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] to prevent bad thoughts in other dwarves.  SHUN THE LOINCLOTH WEARER!  SHUN!

Oh my. That's not quite intended usage, hehe.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: December 11, 2013, 09:27:36 pm »

So I just went through my errorlog, and GODDAMN that thing stretches for miles. I have made a lot of errors.
Apparently the Body Token Centaur cannot be recognized. All other body tokens are recognized, but can't connect. Upon closer inspection I left [OBJECT:BODY] out of it altogether.

Bleh, the Freehold mod version 0.6.9 also won't work either upon closer examination. This entire thing is a mess of bugs. It'll crash when certain castes spawn. I apparently just forgot to detail texture thickness on everything.

EDIT: I've fixed the game crashing error. The centaur still has some errors.Specific errors I'm running into with the centaur:
-Most of the attacks don't function due to referencing bodyparts that don't exist. I'll fix it later.
-For some reason the HORN template isn't working, and the antlers are being made of something else.
Also the creature is a BEAST right now in arena mode, even with only pushes, grasps and bending limbs. This is probably due to its great size, which I'll have to nerf. Otherwise centaurs are wrestling gods. Although, that does fit the mythology... but I wasn't aiming to make a new semi-megabeast.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:24:49 pm by MDFification »

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #6718 on: December 12, 2013, 03:50:22 am »

I'm tired of damn near every hit on an unarmored dwarf resulting in permanently crippling nerve damage.  It's kind of ridiculous.  I can understand how large slashing weapons and the like might frequently result in severed nerves, but I just fought some lizardmen blowgunners earlier whose freaking darts were permanently disabling limbs half the time.  Not to mention any successful bite/shake always severs all nerves, which can be even more ridiculous at times.

It's not something that I want to get rid of.  It's a core feature of the game that I really do like.  I just want it toned back a bit.  Is there any way to make nerves tougher or less likely to be hit?

Or another idea - I've known for a long time that spinal nervous tissue can be made to heal, while motor/sensory nerves cannot.  I just found a few days ago that the reason for this is the nervous tissue in the spine is modeled as a tissue by the game, while motor/sensory nerves aren't.  Would it maybe be possible to replace motor/sensory nerves with a tissue similar to the spinal nerves, and make it function sort of the same way?  Could this be used as a step towards what I'm looking for?  My ideal setup would have temporary disability be fairly common, but permanent crippling be the rare result of an especially gruesome blow.

You could write a program which keeps track of the damage to each dwarf and repairs them using dfhack after a certain period of time/set of things occur. You could add some randomness to it so that injuries which meet certain perameters are left as permanent.

I see no reason why this isn't possible,but it would be a fair amount of work. Do you have any programming experience?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:20 am »

Less work for the user than for the computer, TBH.
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 544