Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002278 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7305 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:19 am »

As far as I know, worldgen doesn't actually use custom reactions.
Define 'custom'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7306 on: March 10, 2014, 09:17:42 am »

As far as I know, worldgen doesn't actually use custom reactions.
Define 'custom'.
Actually define "Use"

as above I stated how it works in a generalized sense regarding reactions http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100707.msg5076642#msg5076642

Did you mean for items? because materials work just fine, I know giving a reaction like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FREE_IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:IRON]

will allow a civ to always have access to IRON (Meph perfected this method) even tho it's permitted there is no way for players to use it ingame but worldgen looks at the PRODUCT and assumes if they can make it, they have it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: March 10, 2014, 09:41:32 am »

Hi everyone,

Just getting my feet wet with modding, and I'd like to see if a few things are possible before I go too far down a potentially blind alley.

• When a creature has [MALE] and [FEMALE] castes, any sterile castes show up as female.  This seems to be based on insects with queens and drones, but is there some way to have a sterile caste referred to as "he" or preferably "it"?  Putting [UNGENDERED] in the sterile caste generates an error, so that's not the way to do it.
  • Is there a way to hook a check/reaction/syndrome/whatever into a standard action like mining?  In vanilla, there is a 25% chance that mining a rock leaves a stone, 0% for soil and 100% for gems.  Is there a way to slip in a % chance of something else happening?  One idea is hidden gems (for example, 0.5% of granite spaces yield a specific rough gem) and the other is living rock (0.05% of granite spaces yield a granite fiend, 0.05% of marble spaces yield a marble fiend, etc.)
  • Ideally I'd like to be able to remove any loopholes with the above, such as carving up-staris then removing the stairs to avoid the possibility of creature spawning.
  • Can a workshop consume the person constructing it without insta-killing anyone else who ever tries to use it? ("Urist McSoapmaker, welcome to the fortress!  Step right over here...")
  • If I mod the wagon to be made out of stone, will treehuggers use them?

Thanks everyone.

1. There is no [UNGENDERED] tag however with the use of interactions you can have a caste make themselves sterile even if they are MALE or FEMALE, the how do I made already, and can share it since it's so simple:
Spoiler: Interaction (click to show/hide)
2.Can't add anything such as hooks saddly, all you can do is make custom reactions with percent chances, or special VEINS of imposter minerals/layers (CLAY, CLAY_FAKE) CLAY_FAKE might on mining drops a boiling stone that when inhaled causing syndromes, or look at DFHack they might have made something for this already. (I don't follow it much, I don't like making mods that rely on third party utilities)
3. ^^^
4.Not construction, but a reaction that makes a boiling stone (DFHack has an autosyndrome function that might be your thing) that when on repeat makes boiling poison stones.
5. Treehuggers will use wooden wagons because wagons are the only multi-tile creature in game atm, and creatures even if made of wood don't count as wood (by-products will so don't sell the butchered bits to them) if you want the tree huggers to use wagons enable them in their ENTITY.

EDIT:
Also for number 1. as I reread it over again:
MALE gives a "he" descriptor
FEMALE gives a "she" descriptor
having neither of the above gives an "it" desciptor
Thanks for the help, Hugo (who looks an awful lot like Murphy...).  I would like to avoid reliance on DFHack, so I like that you didn't take the easy way out.

Aside from the hidden gems, I was trying to get the effect of "once in a while, those rocks you mine out turn out to be rock creatures."  I thought about trying to modify the evil biome re-animation reaction, but only if I can make it a rare-enough occurrence that the game is still playable.  One would need to cut the stones into blocks to make sure they stay down (analogous to butchering corpses in an evil biome).

I could definitely see your hidden veins idea working as well, or more likely hidden small clusters.  In that case, the rock creature would only need to be killed once and drop a rock as its "corpse".  I'm sure the miners would prefer your solution.

My first attempt to put in a neuter cast was to experiment with a "golem" cast of Dwarves that simply lacked a [MALE] or [FEMALE] tag.  They seemed to be female in DF descriptions and in Dwarf Therapist, which is consistent with the worker-ant idea but not the effect I was trying to get.  Your interaction solution seems like the best fit, and it is much appreciated :)

The "pour your soul into the workshop" was just a nice-to-have, no biggie if it's impossible.  Urist McSoapmaker will just have to join the militia to make himself useful.

I read somewhere on the wiki that civs averse to KILL_PLANTS would not use wagons.  I should probably have tested that myself first.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: March 10, 2014, 09:59:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks for the help, Hugo (who looks an awful lot like Murphy...).  I would like to avoid reliance on DFHack, so I like that you didn't take the easy way out.

Aside from the hidden gems, I was trying to get the effect of "once in a while, those rocks you mine out turn out to be rock creatures."  I thought about trying to modify the evil biome re-animation reaction, but only if I can make it a rare-enough occurrence that the game is still playable.  One would need to cut the stones into blocks to make sure they stay down (analogous to butchering corpses in an evil biome).

I could definitely see your hidden veins idea working as well, or more likely hidden small clusters.  In that case, the rock creature would only need to be killed once and drop a rock as its "corpse".  I'm sure the miners would prefer your solution.

My first attempt to put in a neuter cast was to experiment with a "golem" cast of Dwarves that simply lacked a [MALE] or [FEMALE] tag.  They seemed to be female in DF descriptions and in Dwarf Therapist, which is consistent with the worker-ant idea but not the effect I was trying to get.  Your interaction solution seems like the best fit, and it is much appreciated :)

The "pour your soul into the workshop" was just a nice-to-have, no biggie if it's impossible.  Urist McSoapmaker will just have to join the militia to make himself useful.

I read somewhere on the wiki that civs averse to KILL_PLANTS would not use wagons.  I should probably have tested that myself first.

For the hidden gems and rock monsters spawning, you can make something like that with the mentioned veins/clusters of hidden gem/boiling monster stone rock. When inhaled the miner will turn opposed_to_life, hide, transform into something that drops a bp, turns that bp into a stone monster OPPOSED_TO_LIFE miner then becomes normal once the OPPOSED_TO_Life wears off, and in the meantime there is a horride monster that will either roam around the fort killing everyone, or discover the miner kill him and move on to other people. (If you want the miner to leave hiding give him an interaction that fires a projectile at himself, that will exit him from ambush/sneak mode)

Items can't be interacted with (interactions, syndromes) so killing it and it dropping like a boulder or something works. but can't have dug stone turn into something (unless you figure reactions transforming things, which they more or less don't old goes in, new comes out)

Also I looked a bit deeper into the raws for the wagon issue, The wiki might be right, but i'm quite sure it's the fact that elves don't have any wagon puller animals (even the animal races they tame PET_EXOTIC/PET that are not COMMON_DOMESTIC) so if you add in [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] they "should" have animals to pull their wagons (I quoted should because now i'm not 100% sure now :P)

EDIT:
Also dwarf therapist and such if they can't find a gender they will simply add one mainly FEMALE because it's higher in the array list (Alphabetical)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:08:57 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: March 10, 2014, 12:38:40 pm »

During my testing of Better Dorfs (playing as saurians) when using the "More Armor" addon (which, as its name suggests, adds more kinds of armor) random pieces of scalemail armor were not available to make.
   I have no idea what is causing this, as all pieces were correctly registered in the entity and the unavailable pieces could be made via custom reaction.
   For the record, it was only one piece at a time and a different piece every world (and a different piece for each entity).
   (Is there a chance that DF will not use a piece of armor for a specific entity even if you tell it to?)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »

If you have [ARMOR:<armor>:COMMON] in your entity, then sometimes entities won't have that kind of armor. To prevent that, type [ARMOR:<armor>:FORCED].

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: March 10, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »

If I do that will it mess with vanilla COMMON armors?
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: March 10, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »

be warned: this is a very stupid question.
Has anyone tried to make dwarfs egglaying instead of viviparous? :)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: March 10, 2014, 01:03:26 pm »

be warned: this is a very stupid question.
Has anyone tried to make dwarfs egglaying instead of viviparous? :)
Yes has been done. only the eggs from a married female will hatch, and I think the female has to stay on them. Also eggs get stolen and stockpiled so it makes trying to have baby dwarves a bit harder.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: March 10, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »

If I do that will it mess with vanilla COMMON armors?
It's already messing with them, try it out and see for yourself. The only reason that vanilla armor is always available in vanilla DF is that it is unique to a certain extent. I believe that for each set of armor types with the same body slot and metal armor level, it is ensured that you will get at least one of them. Don't quote me on that though.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: March 10, 2014, 01:15:21 pm »

Another question: can a *reagent* in the reaction have a GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT material, pointing to another reagent?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: March 10, 2014, 01:17:22 pm »

@MagmaMcFry
Oh... I guess I'll just have to do some testing to see if I can find a way for all armors to be consistently available.
Thanks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: March 10, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »

Another question: can a *reagent* in the reaction have a GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT material, pointing to another reagent?
I don't believe so, you can give it a shot but It makes no logical sense "REAGENT:A:1:Wood but now REAGENT:B:1:SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE". But for the purpose that you may be trying to employ it may be what you want? But I don't see it, as it could be done with REACTION_CLASSes on materials

REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:HOLY_TREE:WOOD
REAGENT:B:1:SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD:NONE:NONE[REACTION_CLASS:PLAIN_WOOD]
PRODUCT:100:1:SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD:PLANT_MAT:HOLY_TREE:WOOD_HOLY

so I don't think you can, like I said give it a shot, and see if the errorlog spits any venom.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »

The thing is that I'm working with guns right now, and I want to have bayonet-adding reactions. So, the two reagents are the gun and the bayonet, and I want the bayonet's material to match the gun.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:13 pm »

Then your only option is one reaction per material, which considering that there are only a few materials that make sense to make guns from...
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 544