Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 482955 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #2325 on: February 10, 2015, 09:56:13 am »

Never seen brains for sale here in Britland. Most organs aren't - hearts, kidneys and livers are sold, but tripe, brains, and the other various bits don't tend to appear on the shelves any more.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: February 10, 2015, 10:36:31 am »

Yeah, even here in 'Murica you have to find a butcher for that sort of thing. Still, if you do, it's usually cheaper than grocery store meat, good-quality, and if you're into sausage-making you can pretty much just walk in and say, "I'd like the garbage parts of the animal, please." and it'll all be good. Helps reduce waste, too.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: February 10, 2015, 11:31:44 am »

I would love to try heart or kidneys, I've heard they taste good... I don't know where a butcher is though nor do I think my mother would let me cook and eat that kind of stuff in the house .-.

Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: February 10, 2015, 12:51:47 pm »

Hearts I make into stews. They taste like more organ-y meat, if that makes sense. They can be very tough if you cook them wrong, similiar to...

Liver and onions is damned good, though it's very easy to cook the liver into lumps of rubber. Avoid this and they're great.

Kidneys tend to be made into a pie. I've not seen anything that just has kidneys, though I don't see why you couldn't.

The increased difficulty of cooking and worst of all people being far too squeamish means they don't appear very often.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: February 10, 2015, 07:22:20 pm »

Bangers and Mash, nom nom nom. Caramilized onions are best onions.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: February 10, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »

I would love to try heart or kidneys, I've heard they taste good... I don't know where a butcher is though nor do I think my mother would let me cook and eat that kind of stuff in the house .-.
Why, does she think they'll smell or something? If it's any consolation heart is just muscle and tastes/smells as such. It's a bit different to skeletal muscle but not hideously so. Kidneys I can't give the same confirmation for but chances are you'll be cooking them with a bunch of other stuff so won't create a huge odour problem.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: February 10, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »

Why, does she think they'll smell or something? If it's any consolation heart is just muscle and tastes/smells as such. It's a bit different to skeletal muscle but not hideously so. Kidneys I can't give the same confirmation for but chances are you'll be cooking them with a bunch of other stuff so won't create a huge odour problem.

Heart doesn't smell overly much - it's got a more richly iron smell to it than muscle does. Kidneys on the other hand have a very particular odour that slightly tangs. It's pretty awful.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: February 10, 2015, 08:29:44 pm »

As my late grandfather once said, you've gotta make sure you boil the piss out of them.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: February 11, 2015, 12:05:17 am »

She doesn't like organs at all, probably just regular American squimishness. She also doesn't eat game meat.

I've seen the guy on bizarre foods go to one of those South American all you can eat meat restaurant things and his whole meal consisted of exotic (to Americans) meats such as just seasoned and cooked livers, hearts, kidneys, lungs, and just good all steaks and pig butts
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:02 am »

Listen, find a good Asian restaurant and you can do much the same. Had some pig intestine just last week.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: February 11, 2015, 01:37:34 am »

She doesn't like organs at all, probably just regular American squimishness. She also doesn't eat game meat.

Hey. We Americans will eat that sort of thing. Just as long as it's in a hot dog like it should be, along with several other mystery meats, and various chemicals with inpronouncable manes.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: February 11, 2015, 02:11:21 am »

* Sirus points out that Americans come from a huge range of cultures, many of which have no problems with organ or bush meat, and that one's nationality doesn't really have anything to do with their tastes
* Sirus is promptly ignored in favor of more "hurr durr murrica" jokes
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: February 11, 2015, 06:06:27 am »

As somebody who's never eaten any part of an animal, y'all gross me out.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: February 11, 2015, 07:00:12 am »

For the most part, I won't touch offal. Texture and taste is too weird.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:52 am »

I know a place where you can get kidney dürüm. It's pretty awesome.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 333