Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 462948 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics: Attractive ASCII
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.0
With that I can mix your tileset with the cla mock version I did and get a nice looking picture without the text issues:

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2014, 12:34:45 pm »

With that I can mix your tileset with the cla mock version I did and get a nice looking picture without the text issues:

Seeing that makes me want to add the graphical tiles back in, and put that up as an option. It looks great. (Optional) things I want to do off the top of my head that won't affect the text/map/etc with the new plugin:

- get nice, graphical barrels without making my screw pumps look weird
 - have a graphical lever and better staircases again
 - weapon/armour racks
 - if possible, use the text tileset for wall and river tiles, and then figure out something that'll work for both tree trunks and minecart rails for the graphical set
 - finally get nicer floors and stockpile icons (probably a darker floor + with the corners shaded for a nice pattern, and use four dots in a square formation for the stockpile)
 - graphical potions/coins
 - better "water level 1-7" tiles, so that turning that option on looks nice.

I could go on. I sense my free time spiralling down the drain and I'm really busy this month, so I've tried hard to not think about the "Text will be Text" plugin much. ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:51:49 pm by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2014, 01:24:42 am »

- get nice, graphical barrels without making my screw pumps look weird
 - have a graphical lever and better staircases again
 - weapon/armour racks
 - if possible, use the text tileset for wall and river tiles, and then figure out something that'll work for both tree trunks and minecart rails for the graphical set
 - finally get nicer floors and stockpile icons (probably a darker floor + with the corners shaded for a nice pattern, and use four dots in a square formation for the stockpile)
 - graphical potions/coins
 - better "water level 1-7" tiles, so that turning that option on looks nice.

I thought about it a bit and assuming we have complete control over all tiles I think the easiest would be to organize tilesets like this

• one for text, UI (the frame borders), and ideally interface/status stuff on the map (cursor, W/D in the [D]epot access view, status icons like asleep/injured/insane)
  • one for objects (the "main tileset"), on which you use the text tiles to have separate symbols for things like bins/u-d staircases and barrels/screw pumps
  • one for all "wall derivatives": walls, engraved walls, tree trunks, minecart tracks; maybe floors, stockpiles, zones. I guess if there's enough space all the plant stuff might be added here as well.
  • one for adv mode-, world- and quicktravel-maps
  • secondary "main tilesets" when the first one isn't enough

You could add another tileset for workshops, but I always thought it's unnecessary to change them.
I'm a bit afraid the override format could make the init file really big and complex fast though, which would make it hard to maintain if you go all the way. But man am I looking forward to using my original stairs again without bins and the cursor looking like shit.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2014, 05:52:30 pm »

So long, and thanks for all the fish. I put up the instructions for the new version up as promised. It largely revolves around changing init.txt, which I'm not even certain will change. I might get lucky and skip out on all the more egregious bugs of the new release. Will update in early-mid August, unless the new Dwarf Fortress release get delayed further.

I thought about it a bit and assuming we have complete control over all tiles I think the easiest would be to organize tilesets like this

• one for text, UI (the frame borders), and ideally interface/status stuff on the map (cursor, W/D in the [D]epot access view, status icons like asleep/injured/insane)
  • one for objects (the "main tileset"), on which you use the text tiles to have separate symbols for things like bins/u-d staircases and barrels/screw pumps
  • one for all "wall derivatives": walls, engraved walls, tree trunks, minecart tracks; maybe floors, stockpiles, zones. I guess if there's enough space all the plant stuff might be added here as well.
  • one for adv mode-, world- and quicktravel-maps
  • secondary "main tilesets" when the first one isn't enough

You could add another tileset for workshops, but I always thought it's unnecessary to change them.
I'm a bit afraid the override format could make the init file really big and complex fast though, which would make it hard to maintain if you go all the way. But man am I looking forward to using my original stairs again without bins and the cursor looking like shit.

I'm still tempted to update everything into a nice solid "ASCII" inspired pack reminiscent of an early Ultima game with tinier graphics. I give permission for people to use my pack as the basis for a "Text will be Text" pack, and humbly request that my name go alongside yours in the name if one of my tilesets is the basis. (No such credit necessary if it's only a few tiles, of course.) If nothing emerges I might end up working something out myself.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:06:32 pm by Taffer »

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:56 am »

Does Taffer tileset works with DF 2014?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2014, 04:34:18 am »

There's no reason why it shouldn't, since it's just ascii.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:09 am »

Does Taffer tileset works with DF 2014?

Yep.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2014, 01:31:59 pm »

There's no reason why it shouldn't, since it's just ascii.

Well the keybindings and the init.txt needed to be changed, but those were just for convenience. I have racial graphics but so far as I can tell they still work. They're still on by default, although having out-of-sight people in adventure mode revert to their letters remains annoying so that may or may not change.

I'm uploading an updated version. I'll be putting up some great screenshots once I get Adventurer mode going for a while. Will likely update soon. Removed support for Fantastic DF as it doesn't appear to be updated for the new version.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:40:31 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2014, 06:02:22 pm »

Updated for the newest release. I dropped the keybindings from the download partly to save time releasing, and partly because I never use them. When a more stable release of Dwarf Fortress happens I'll add the keybindings and some mod support again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The racial graphics were bothering me in Adventure mode so I turned them off by default. I'll set it back if that proves controversial. The limitations were bothering me and I don't want to add DFHack as a requirement.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:34:17 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2014, 03:07:48 pm »

Another update. I'm not going to inflate the version number if all I'm doing is a simple update to a new version. In this case I have a new version number because I have new tiles - the 1/4 and 1/2 tiles were adjusted by a little. Hopefully the trees look a little nicer now. I may update them again in the future.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:10:48 pm by Taffer »

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2014, 04:53:15 pm »

Hm, how did you mix the tilesets like that? Since I'm pretty sure TwbT is included in the latest LNP, I'm interested in that mix. It looks really good.

Another update. I'm not going to inflate the version number if all I'm doing is a simple update to a new version. In this case I have a new version number because I have new tiles - the 1/4 and 1/2 tiles were adjusted by a little. Hopefully the trees look a little nicer now. I may update them again in the future.

While I'm looking forward with this mix with cla's, I'm gonna run your tileset a bit in my current fortress pure, to check out the changes. Keep up the good work Taffer.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »

While I'm looking forward with this mix with cla's, I'm gonna run your tileset a bit in my current fortress pure, to check out the changes. Keep up the good work Taffer.

Thank you kindly! Glad you like it. If you can spare the time, I always appreciate screenshots. Let me know if you have any suggestions or problems. I've been a little busy, so I've not played the new version as much as I'd like to.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:17 pm »

Hm, how did you mix the tilesets like that? Since I'm pretty sure TwbT is included in the latest LNP, I'm interested in that mix. It looks really good.

I made this to go with it:

Naglfar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2014, 10:49:24 am »

I thank you for your work. Your tileset is my favorite.
There is no cow level.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »

Hello! I started using your tileset to get an understanding of what a good simple tileset feels like. I wanted to ask your permission if I could use similar tiles in my tileset. These tiles would be your sand/water/magma tiles, and my punctuation tiles will be heavily influenced by yours as well.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50