Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50

Author Topic: Taffer's Tilesets v6.6.0 for v0.47.04, 9x9 or 18x18  (Read 462112 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got a little carried away fixing up the Taffer colour scheme and ended up creating a new one entirely. It's my personal new favourite, but I decided against making it the default.

These changes remain the same:

I'm still somewhat uncertain about the new Gothic font: it probably needs more work. I did try to give it its own aesthethic in various ways. If anything bothers anybody, please speak up.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:46:08 am by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The color scheme is fucking fantastic.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minor changes that wouldn't have warranted a new release just yet:
Bigger changes that did:

Reasoning:

Yes, I really am done for the moment. I've run out of itches to scratch, near as I can tell.

The color scheme is fucking fantastic.

Thank you kindly~! I just made it the default with version 33. I still plan on revisiting my CLA addon for you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:02:07 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, some tiles that I've been using myself but I know people dislike:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never really liked my current shading, but haven't ever come up with anything to replace it.

Another one:

I'm not proposing them. Hopefully somebody finds them useful.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:57:26 pm by Taffer »

Nopal

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:08:58 pm by Nopal »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you really just make a little edit on the comma to solve the small and hard to see rock tile problem?
I was expecting something else Mr Taffer :(

The new update on the tileset is awesome by the way

Thank you! Apologies: I did state that it was a first attempt. I don't personally find the boulders hard to see, so I wasn't sure if it would be enough. You'd be surprised what "little edits" can do sometimes. Thank you for the feedback.

Does this meet with everybody's approval?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:39:29 pm by Taffer »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never mind, I just committed the above change.

Also, the sparring notification is pretty hard to see.

Also made another effort to fix this this. At least, it's much better than it was. The default colour scheme has changed in any event, but you can always go back to using the new and improved "Taffer" colours.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:39:52 pm by Taffer »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another one:

This looks interesting. I think something like this might be a good way to do it. I'm not sure if that thinnest one makes complete sense when used as glacier tiles on the map, though.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Taffer
Does this meet with everybody's approval?
I never thought the boulders were hard to distinguish in the first place, but this does make them even easier to see.
Did you check how they look next to Cut Gems (i.e. whether the new boulders symbol is easy to distinguish from tile #004)?

Quote from: Taffer
Also, some tiles that I've been using myself but I know people dislike:
I've never really liked my current shading, but haven't ever come up with anything to replace it.

Another one:

I'm not proposing them. Hopefully somebody finds them useful.
I'm thinking that while I like that kind of shading in general, the differently sized circles make it look too cartoony, and not tidy and regular enough and that it clashes a bit with the style of your tileset.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minor update to v35 to better differentiate gems from boulders: The tile on the left is the older tile, the middle tile is the new gem, and the far right is the new boulder. Looks a little like cut glass now, which also uses this tile.

Hopefully things are a little more stable after this, but I'm happy to update more based on feedback.

I never thought the boulders were hard to distinguish in the first place, but this does make them even easier to see.
Did you check how they look next to Cut Gems (i.e. whether the new boulders symbol is easy to distinguish from tile #004)?

I thought it was fine, but now that you've pointed it out you're probably right. Better differentiation was necessary. Thank you.

This looks interesting. I think something like this might be a good way to do it. I'm not sure if that thinnest one makes complete sense when used as glacier tiles on the map, though.

Well there's always this variant.

I likely won't be pursuing any of this further, as far as shading goes. I'm mostly posting them for people to cut and paste in themselves, if it interests anybody.

I'm thinking that while I like that kind of shading in general, the differently sized circles make it look too cartoony, and not tidy and regular enough and that it clashes a bit with the style of your tileset.

You're right, I looked over the criticism from last time as well. Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:03:33 pm by Taffer »

Nopal

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:09:43 pm by Nopal »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woah thanks!

I just made this crappy comic for you:

Thank you for the art! I hope that you enjoy the new release. Happy "dorfing"!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics 35: better "default" graphics [10x/20x]
« Reply #402 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:56 pm »

Oh boy a lot of changes.

The new colorscheme is nice, and throwing a little extra style on the commas and such is also better, makes them fit more in line with the rest of the set.

The bigger stones as you have them, I'm not so sure about those. They're definitely more nicely visible but I don't know if they really fit with the set.

I really like those textured walls

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 09, 2016, 07:36:15 am »

The new color scheme is the only thing I hate. It's borderline depressing! I'm not kidding. Good grief the default pack looks like depressing film about stocks and Hitler and SS atrocities.

Even the new alternete "original" taffer color.txt is depressing. I'm sorry but I strongly prefer the v30's vibrant color scheme, already put that "old" color.txt back and I'm feeling much better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:45:41 am by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 09, 2016, 10:37:31 am »

Oh boy a lot of changes.

The new colorscheme is nice, and throwing a little extra style on the commas and such is also better, makes them fit more in line with the rest of the set.

The bigger stones as you have them, I'm not so sure about those. They're definitely more nicely visible but I don't know if they really fit with the set.

I really like those textured walls

Thank you for the comments! I'll think about the new boulders for a while, but I might end up keeping them. I don't really see an easy solution that's not what I already have: I can revert to what I had, but then Nopal's criticism returns (and it is valid critique). I can make them ovals like they are in vanilla, but I was hoping to avoid doing so as I like Adventure mode and the tile is used as a moon there.

At any rate, glad that you like the changes, for the most part.

The new color scheme is the only thing I hate. It's borderline depressing! I'm not kidding. Good grief the default pack looks like depressing film about stocks and Hitler and SS atrocities.

Even the new alternete "original" taffer color.txt is depressing. I'm sorry but I strongly prefer the v30's vibrant color scheme, already put that "old" color.txt back and I'm feeling much better.

Not sure why it's necessary to bring Nazism into your criticism, but I'm sorry that you dislike the new colours. Glad that you like the new changes otherwise.

I find Pastel Psygnosia to be cheerful, personally: everything may be desaturated, but it's pastel coloured. It reminds me of children's chalk drawings. The greys are quite dark by design, to contrast with the pastels: digging is dangerous, but the surface still looks nice and cheerful. I probably won't touch this colour scheme at all, I like it too much as it is.

I'm not really sure what to do about the "Taffer" colours at this point. Chase made a valid point that revealed a deeper problem with the set: it was difficult to differentiate red from light red, blue from light blue, etc. The grey's were far too light for the places Toady uses them, as well. I made the greys slightly darker to help with contrast. While this did end up making everything look a bit darker, things also got easier to see. Light grey in particular had a tinge of green that it probably shouldn't have.

I did darken many colours, but not dramatically so. I tried to bring things more in line with vanilla--which is much darker than what I have for most colours--but when I find time I'll go back and redo this colour scheme again. I'll probably use the v30's colours for everything except for the greys, but make the dark colours only one shade darker. Readability in some areas will still suffer, but it should still end up better than it was and it will be closer to what you prefer than what I currently have.

Thank you for the critique!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:52:16 am by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50