Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239534 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Open Beta: January 23, 2013 (Check the timer on PoE site)
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2013, 03:10:40 am »

Stash space in PoE is generous to the point where I'm not sure if GGG intends to make money on stash sales (or perhaps they're banking on extreme hoarders getting addicted to packratting).

This could be my downfall..... I have always been, and always will be, a packrat of the absurd kind.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2013, 03:14:25 am »

So, the site says "final Character wipe" and open beta tomorrow. Does that mean characters made under open beta carry over to the final release? Any words of advice for a brand newbie?

They have specifically stated that open beta characters will stay after full release.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17:51 pm »

I got in on the American servers right at the bell, and suffered no serious problems in the two hours I fiddled about.  The website is creaking and groaning under the strain, though... looking through the cash shop was an exercise in patience.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:47 pm »

Installer won't even work reliably for me. Not really a good first impression.

It periodically times out with an error of "Can't find File X" and just... stops. Doesn't attempt to retry. Can't resume without closing the installer and doing an integrity check on everything. I'm not going to sit here and babysit the thing while it takes all my bandwidth... so...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »

This game looks pretty good, but:
What does 'Open Beta' exactly mean?
Does this mean it is F2P For people until release?
Does it mean it was intended for F2P at release and they were just waiting for Closed Beta to iron out the worst kinks before Open Beta?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

It means its good enough to show publicly without restriction, but some things are missing. Mostly minor things and some specific skills (like AoE skills for claws). Basically a semi-release.

And no, its not a limited F2P thing. Its F2P with a cosmetics shop, along with extra stash tabs if you so desire.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Open Beta!
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »

Holy shit, why are all the F2P Games so amazing for the most part nowadays.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2013, 08:46:15 pm »

A LONG time ago people predicted that the microtransaction based MMO would completely overtake the old subscription model and essentially outdate it.

F2P games basically have an alternate payment plan.

Which to admit is oddly the ONLY time the "Casual effect" works in reverse. Since it is free to play BECAUSE there are soo many obsessive compusive people and soo many casuals. As well this has yet to fully backfire as even casuals are freekishly wary of "pay to win" games. So actually improving the game is there.

Mind you I will always have to compare the F2P model in terms of "improving the game" to the subscription model.

Afterall Dungeon Fighter Online has now JUST FINALLY finished filling in all its content... no wait it is still incomplete.

Though I am not sure if I should do Herald versus Herald. Afterall what game has EVER come close to the sheer almighty quality of City of Heros subscription model? Perhaps a more fair comparison is in order.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »

Honey n'vinegar, brethren. The best (if perhaps not the most effective) way to get people to give you money is to do something impressive, and then make giving you that money as painless as possible, while giving them as few reasons not to as you can. Quality attracts financial quantity. Sometimes.

What you're seeing is a business model, one of several that's currently competing for a (still fairly) new market. One of my preferred business models, t'be honest :P

Anyway, in the process of downloading. Last time I tried (during the closed beta), the only computer I had access to couldn't run it. This'un's a bit more game capable, so... we'll see. Sometime tomorrow, when it finishes downloading.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:57 pm »

Out of curiosity, is this a slow-paced strategy type thing, a fast-paced action game, or a fast-paced-action-cram-strategy-in-somehow-game?

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:10 pm »

Out of curiosity, is this a slow-paced strategy type thing, a fast-paced action game, or a fast-paced-action-cram-strategy-in-somehow-game?

It's an action RPG, lots of Diablo 2 DNA involved...  I personally haven't gotten deep enough to weigh in on matters of in-context strategy.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:39 pm »

You had me at Diablo 2.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »

You had me at Diablo 2.
Inventory tetris, shared stash, barter economy, massive customization, skills that can be modified by other linked skills. Do we need to continue with the D2 references?  :)

Also, feel free to mention who you are ingame, the loot system is by no means the greatest but a party could be interesting every now or then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:46:49 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:09 pm »

Also, feel free to mention who you are ingame, the loot system is by no means the greatest but a party could be interesting every now or then.

I did a namegrab for each class, but they're all a bit verbose...  is the friends list based on character names or account names?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »

I think you add a character in there, but then it keeps the account.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 100