Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239582 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #705 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:40 am »

Weapons are varied as hell, though each class has an armor that's best suited to them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:02 am »

It's all stat capped. So what you wear/wield is a function of your stat prioritization.

Maybe go Maurauder? He's between the Templar and Duelist Trees, so he can go Str/Vit early on then swing down into tons of delicious DPS upgrades, or go up for yet more tankiness. Shadow puts you between Witch and Ranger, and you have to go quite a ways through the skill tree to get to anything really tanky. Shadow offers a lot of non-standard defensive options, which to date I've never really been impressed with.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:08 am »

Weapons are varied as hell, though each class has an armor that's best suited to them.
Yeah, that's what I though is the case. I was more interested if any class is really limited in their option, but I'm guessing no.

-snip-

Here's the funny thing - I don't actually feel like rolling a tanky, barbarian-like juggernaut on my first try. I know it's silly and this is based entirely on my personal preference. But maybe it's because barbarian was one of my favorite classes in Diablo 2 and now I don't want to go with the usual? Dunno.  ???
As for unmentioned classes - necromancer was the other favorite class of mine in D2 but because I can't go full necro skill tree here (lack of useless bone walls makes me sad :P) I refuse to play the witch. As for ranger - funny how I almost always put bow-wielding classes on lowest-priority place on my list, but very often they tend to become one of my favorite classes...

Well, I guess I'm over-thinking this too much, but sack it, I'll keep thinking. Thanks both for the info so far.  :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:56 am »

You may want to check wiki about how the different defense mechanisms work, if you haven't already.

Red is associated with strength, fire and armor.
Green is with dexterity, ice and dodge/evade.
Blue is with intelligence, lightning and energy shield.

So your class' starting position will tell you what their most natural options are.

You can go for a different options of course, provided that you plot an efficient path to grab sufficient nodes. My witch for example, is running Eldritch Battery (converts all your energy shield into mana), Mind over Matter (takes 30% damage with your mana) and Iron Reflex (converts all evade into armor). So she has a bit of all the defense nodes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:39 am »

Also remember the expansion comes out today, and the PoE site's skill tree doesn't update until the patch comes in ~5:30 hours. (however, other places like poebuilder have the skill tree more-or-less correctly already)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #710 on: August 20, 2014, 11:30:39 am »

Still need to get a second facebreaker and some more support stuff before we can start viably using these dudes tho.

Also PTW.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:27 am »

I'm surprised those weren't taken before :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #712 on: August 20, 2014, 11:36:40 am »

As was I, incredibly so.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:01 am »

Even moreso if thats in Standard.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:06 am »

Also remember the expansion comes out today, and the PoE site's skill tree doesn't update until the patch comes in ~5:30 hours. (however, other places like poebuilder have the skill tree more-or-less correctly already)
Oh, right, that. I know about expansion, but I forgot they also tweaked skill tree a bit. Well, I guess I'll wait till tomorrow and think a bit more carefully what I want to roll.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »

Not sure what I want to do with this other than 'Claws!' (maybe try Reave?), but I thought I'd link to it and see what you guys thought of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:14 pm »

For planning your build, there's PoEBuilder, which has the updated skill tree, but the icons are all fucked up, and there's the Offline Skill Tree Planner which I personally prefer.
Keep in mind that everyone has to build kind of tanky. With the new skill tree and the increased life per level(along with nerfed reflected damage), you need at least 150% life on tree, though you can get away with 130% or lower.
Also shadow doesn't seem all that hard to play anymore. I feel like his difficulty came from the weird start, which has been simplified to just  choosing physical damage and elemental damage.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »

Not sure what I want to do with this other than 'Claws!' (maybe try Reave?), but I thought I'd link to it and see what you guys thought of it.
So, apart from Reave, what skills would you use on this build? Frenzy? Puncture?

-snip-
Ok, good to know. I leaning more and more towards shadow, took a bit closer look at his mines and traps and somehow I'm starting to like them... we'll see, I'll play around a bit with the builder and I'll decide.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 20, 2014, 02:17:18 pm »

So, apart from Reave, what skills would you use on this build? Frenzy? Puncture?
Honestly, I dunno. I only poke into melee occasionally (usually when something like this happens and I feel like doing something not-spellbased, and I haven't tried reave yet so I wanted to do that), so I was kinda hoping someone that knew more about melee skills would answer, heh. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:18:55 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 20, 2014, 02:20:05 pm »

Lightning Strike is always fun on claw Shadow, because the life leech/life gain on hit works with the projectiles as well, plus it benefits from both physical and elemental damage boosts, regardless of whether they're general boosts or weapon boosts.

That build only has +50% life, but it has +90% ES and a staggering +383% evasion, plus bonus flat evasion on top of that, so it wouldn't be as bad as it may look. I would probably pick up Ghost Reaver and Ondar's Guile though, since they're both close and would help out with survivability.

Edit: Maybe not Ghost Reaver, because I just remembered that claw change from life gain on hit to life leech as you get to higher levels and you'd lose most of your life healing (so chaos damage would probably be a pain). Also, there are a fair number of dual wielding block nodes around that might be worth picking up too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:24:03 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 100