Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089660 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3345 on: October 19, 2012, 07:39:22 pm »

I am on now trying to get someone

will try again later
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:43:30 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:31 pm »

Well, i joined the Vanu on Thebe under the name "Aeliel", but i keep dying as soon as an enemy appears. I also have trouble identifying friend from foe, is there any option to make it clearer ? Because this second or so where i'm unsure seem to be all that is needed for me to die. (Also, i'm colorblind)

Maybe there's some sort of tutorial or something ? I don't feel like i know what i'm doing, even though i'm not new to FPS games. I've played "Quake live" for several months for instance, and i like to think that i was a decent player. I also played Tribes : Ascend, and while i wasn't doing great, i still had an almost positive K/D ratio.

For some reason, movement feels clunky and slow. I noticed that shift allows me to sprint, but it still doesn't feel fluid. I dunno. Maybe i just need to give it time.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:31:20 pm by Sirian »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: October 19, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »

For some reason, movement feels clunky and slow. I noticed that shift allows me to sprint, but it still doesn't feel fluid. I dunno. Maybe i just need to give it time.
I felt the same. Nothing quite works together.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: October 19, 2012, 09:15:51 pm »

Well if as you say the only FPSs you played are quake and tribes its only natural that you feel the movement as slow, becouse it is a LOT slower than in those games.
Regarding target identification... well i dont know what is like to be color blind but its good your are a vanu becouse you have the most "special" outfit, while TR and NC armors look quite alike (one red one blue) the vanu are marvelous with their purple lycra tight fashion dress. Even being colorblind i think you can get used to it easily.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: October 19, 2012, 09:24:40 pm »

You might try pressing Q when pointing at someone, if they're an enemy it'll make a bar show above their head for a while, it's very useful.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:03 pm »

Meh, IFF is basically broken.  Friendlies don't show up with triangles 60% of the time.  My advice in regards to this is to learn to identify silhouettes and to test fire.  If you've got a light-ish gun, firing a burst at an unidentified vehicle can clear matters up without hurting them too much.

Reavers have very noticeable wings.  Mosquitos look similar, but are more streamlined and more bulbous around the center of the aircraft.  Scythes are goofy-looking.

Vanguards have a centerline cannon, while the prowlers cannons are on the right side of the vehicle.  Pretty sure vanguards are a little taller and prowlers are a little wider.  Mag-rider is a lawnmower.

And uh.  Yea, color blind makes life hard.  As ukulele says, it's better because you're vanu.  You'll just shoot anyone who doesn't look like they're in latex.  For common pool vehicles, just pop some shots into them if you've got a smaller cannon (probably avoid shooting the magriders main cannon into an unidentifed lightning).  Hopefully they'll fix IFF so that you can depend on it to mark targets.

edit: And I think ukulele meant that Vanu are fabulous in their purple lycra uniforms  :P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:48:43 pm by Rez »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: October 19, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »

Hopefully they'll also be fixing base turrets soon.  I got this persistent problem of the mouse not synching with the turret, and when exitting, I was standing on top of the turret - very disorienting and sometimes, a long drop.

Also can't figure out why a 38 Mb patch takes several minutes to DL.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: October 19, 2012, 09:52:58 pm »

Seriously consider getting the skyguard if you're active right now.  it only costs 48 certs.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: October 19, 2012, 10:13:11 pm »

Oh, lord, the skyguard.

I don't know what demon possesses me to go there, but I occasionally visit the official forums. AA whining is currently in vogue, along with whining about the shotguns being nerfed (which, naturally, came about after people whined about the shotguns being too powerful).
Nothing important here, move along.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:21 pm »

I will say, air units have a really hard time now. Between greater accessibility to AA and higher populations being on the ground in general, there are very few battles where I can take, say, a liberator into effective range without being shredded. This even after the 10% liberator health buff and 5% flak nerf. Infiltrators hacking AA turrets can be a huge issue too, but I presume they're meant to be.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »

TBH, the effective reduction (at this time, 48 certs is a ton less than 10000 aux) in price has made skyguards ridiculously common.  I foresee a price increase soon.  The second burster arm costs 120 iirc.

Not that it stops liberators and ESA from zerging into blobs of 40 or 50 people, ie 4 or 5 skyguards and 4 or 5 MAXes with a burster arm.

If an ESA reacts immediately upon me finding the right trajectory, they live.  If they hover thinking that that first burst of flak was random, they'll almost always get into red or outright blow up before I lose my firing solution.  I've noticed that most pilots aren't accounting for fire damage when they're thinking about evasive maneuvers.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: October 19, 2012, 10:56:50 pm »

There is an issue with draw distances. Aircraft can be seen out for nearly a kilometer, and shot at as well. The guys in the air couldn't look straight down and see an MBT at that distance. So a skyguard or burster MAX could shoot at an aircraft and the aircraft wouldn't even know it until they started taking damage, and usually there's not much of a way to escape once the enemy has you zeroed.
Nothing important here, move along.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: October 19, 2012, 10:58:35 pm »

I got in long enough to join the outfit (thanks Ukulele), lag a lot, and crash to desktop.  That's why it's a beta, I guess.

Is there an optimization guide and/or recommended spec listing?  Going to go update video card drivers now- they're probably way out of date.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:23 pm »

I got in long enough to join the outfit (thanks Ukulele), lag a lot, and crash to desktop.  That's why it's a beta, I guess.

Is there an optimization guide and/or recommended spec listing?  Going to go update video card drivers now- they're probably way out of date.
Yeah, do that and turn your graphics to minimum. If that still doesn't cut it, I think there are some tricks you can use by looking through INI files to reduce to quality of textures even further below what they would normally be. If the problem is your CPU though there's little you can do (the game doesn't like dual core CPUs very much, last I checked, though they intend to improve that).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: October 19, 2012, 11:19:03 pm »

the game doesn't like dual core CPUs very much

This is 2012, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 826