Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089482 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5730 on: February 03, 2013, 12:22:05 am »

In the UserOptions file I really like the one line that says:

MaximumFPS=250

I needed something to laugh at.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: February 03, 2013, 01:58:56 am »

Counterintuitivly, increasing the graphics can help a bunch. The reason being some of the lowest settings offload the work from the gpu to the cpu, which makes sense in most games, but is absolutly a terrible idea in this case.
Or more accurately, it makes sense if your GPU is the bottleneck. If the CPU is the bottleneck, as is the case for... quite frankly most people playing Planetside 2... then it will slow things down.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5732 on: February 03, 2013, 02:26:26 am »

Looks like the hotfix broke even more things, somehow. Most vehicles now shoot blanks, and the low FPS issue hasn't been fixed.

I am not impressed.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: February 03, 2013, 02:52:35 am »

SOE: Lowering standards of expectations since April 1998?

Meh, it'll all get fixed eventually. Or not.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: February 03, 2013, 02:55:26 am »

I have to say though, the recent patch changes have made things incredibly fun to play. In particular, the +25 certs for G2A damage is goddamn magic for those who play with the G2A rockets. And the recent changes mean the rockets actually hit 90% or so of the time in which flares or obstacles aren't used. It's great! Especially compared to the original 'your missiles will do damage about 20% of the time.' The +25 xp really helps, since the usual situation a G2A rocket infantry encounters is a full hp ESF. When the ESF takes the first rocket, it usually GTFOs. Since it takes 2 rocekts to take one down, it usually doesn't result in a kill; then simple go back, repair, and you get no xp at all. And now we do. :D Now when I'm at the top of a tower doing pure AA defense, it actually feels like I'm being useful, rather than simply trying to steal kills from burster maxes. It actually feels like a 1000 cert weapon on par with the ESF A2G rockets; which is great!

The changes to spawning really seem to help at least make spawn-camping interesting, rather than the stupid-fest it was before. Both the spawners and the campers are on a much more even footing it seems.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:01 am »

As long as they tune down the insane turn rate and tracking, especially for A2A missiles. I'm still amazed at the lack of any successful ACMs for countering lock-on missiles.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: February 03, 2013, 03:50:03 am »

I'm really liking the upped exp for killing Sundies, too. I got 585 exp for C4ing one last night. I've been seeing quite a few Gals, too, which is always nice because om nom free exp from easy targets.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: February 03, 2013, 11:25:21 am »

I'm just going to ask here:

What are the recommended settings for somebody with an Intel Quad core i5 and an AMD radeon HD 5650?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: February 03, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »

If you've got an AMD card, I believe the proper approach is to bend over and kiss any chances of playing the game goodbye. Unless they've fixed all the problems with that lately.

That aside, I've got a 2.4GHz i7 core and a NVIDIA GTX 660M, and I can barely pull 30FPS with optimized settings (textures and model detail to medium, shadows turned off in UserOptions.ini, and all other settings at minimum, with a 3km draw distance). Mostly it's a matter of figuring out exactly what balance allows your GPU to pick up as much slack as possible, but as above the game seems to hate AMD cards for whatever reason.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:00 pm »

Yay for being the minority and not even choosing for it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: February 03, 2013, 01:24:11 pm »

Look on the bright side. You have an Intel CPU in a CPU intensive game. Could be worse with AMD CPU and GPU like me.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: February 03, 2013, 01:28:15 pm »

I get a solid 40fps in fights with my AMD. Of course its a monster 4.2 ghz 8 core, so maybe thats besides the point then :P

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »

looked around a little. Not enough to make a definitive critic of this update, but I can say a couple things already.

-The anti-ground facility turrets do fire blank, which is an annoying bug.
-The new spawn points are AWESOME. they look awesome and they play awesome. Awesome.
-The new watchtower design (the ones with 4 air pads) is much, much better than the old one. Good lord, they are so much more fun!
-Can't find the tunnels...
-The warpgate rotation is cool. It refresh the fights. And now NC owns pretty much half of indar. Apparently the north warpgate is advantaged.
-The new UI is cool too. Take a bit of time to adapt to the "Blue! Shoot!" or "Red! Don't shoot!" for VS/TR, but it's fine. We can now know who is who, at least.
-The "explosions" on the map, to show where the fight is, are cool.
-Continent-based pop bonus XP is cool. Population seemed more equilibrated (though VS pop took quite a hit in favor of NC. What?)

Didn't test much more than that. But it was the funniest session of PS2 I ever had so far. Can't ask more. Hope that bugs get fixed and that the fun last.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:11 pm »

Hotfix for the vehicle projectile bug is up.

3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5744 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:26 pm »

You know, despite all the mix ups, it's been pretty fun. I'm not sure what it is, but I was doing extremely well today using my DMR. Ended up with a 4.8 K/D ratio for the day, which, for me, is mind blowing for a non-LA class. It feels like they made some changes to it, but maybe I just had a good day.

Lots and lots of FPS issues, though. I had to avoid certain areas because they would inexplicably drop my FPS below 20.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 826