Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089143 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5910 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »

I'll admit, this is fucking hilarious.  :P
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »

He made it for all 3 factions.

*sniff*

It's beautiful.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5912 on: February 10, 2013, 03:53:55 pm »

Higby (One of the developers) was talking about running animations back during the Empire Showdown, and did a brilliant impression of what he thought the VS run animation should be. I can't find the video, but it was pretty classic.

Here it is.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: February 10, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »

I would absolutely switch to Vanu for magrider shoes. In a heartbeat.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:06 pm »

No. Cone of fire is a pseudo random direction, originating at the end of the barrel, generated when the weapon is fired.
Totally agree with this. It's a completely made-up handicap that is completely counter-intuitive, and breaks my immersion all the time.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:05 pm »

I would absolutely switch to Vanu for magrider shoes. In a heartbeat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2NUbh_iqxg
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: February 10, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »

For gameplay simplicity, it doesn't show your gun waving in the air, so all you see is a solid cone.

Yeah, pretty much that, it's easier to do a stock recoil animation that plays every time you fire and have the CoF work separately from that despite them being connected in reality.
I'm quite aware of this. I said I didn't like it, not that it didn't make any sense.

However.
Cone of fire represents when a player has insufficient control over the weapon.
The whole point of what I'm saying is that Cone of Fire is an insufficient representation of this.
Since you're firing from the hip, you don't have any reasonable grip on the weapon
That's not really the case. Your grip on the weapon is just fine. Yes, it's not as effective as holding it up to your eye, but the weapon isn't going to jump out of your hands.
and when you fire, the first bullet has poor aim because of hand-eye-coordination issues (it's difficult to aim the gun at a pinpoint if it's not in line with your eye).
This isn't really the case at all. While yes, it's not easy to get a perfectly accurate shot like this, the first shot of the gun is going to land exactly where the gun is pointing, and pointing a gun at a target that's a few feet ahead of you from the hip really isn't as difficult as this game makes it out to be.

If you really think this cheap substitution is good enough (for a game entirely centred around guns), then perhaps having a narrower CoF when standing still is in order. And probably a wider one when moving to boot.
It's also somewhat irritating that sniper rifles have weapon sway but medic rifles... Or pretty much any other gun doesn't.
Killing snipers as a medic is just far too easy... Not that sniping is really that hard either. The weapon sway is just a small sine wave after all.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: February 10, 2013, 09:56:46 pm »

You are aware you can steady your aim by holding Shift with snipers, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: February 10, 2013, 09:57:48 pm »

But in close range, a sniper can't hit shit firing from the hip.  You're either 16x zoom, or you're at like 90 degree cone of fire.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »

That's why you sub out that silly bolt-action rifle for a SMG and play like a spy should.

Or switch to Engy and get the battle rifle.  I am a far better sniper with that thing, except with the added ability to drop tank mines, be (moderately) useful in close combat, repair vehicles and MAXes, and resupply ammo to teammates and myself.

Too bad you can't get the battle rifle with LA.  People would be growing bullets in their head with no idea where they were coming from.

(Also that video would have made me spit my drink out if I had one.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: February 10, 2013, 10:19:42 pm »

You are aware you can steady your aim by holding Shift with snipers, right?
I was fully aware, and have been for quite some time.
But I've also been very aware for nearly the same amount of time, that holding shift is completely unnecessary because I know exactly where the cross-hair is travelling.

But in close range, a sniper can't hit shit firing from the hip.  You're either 16x zoom, or you're at like 90 degree cone of fire.
Also, you're sort of right. And as Siquo said it's just an unnecessary handicap. Not that sniper rifles need a buff at close range, considering they're sort of like a gambler's shotgun right now, but they certainly won't throw the balance if you consider the power of other weapons.
In fact I'm starting to think that this isn't a case of the Orion, the Trac-5 and unguided rockets being too strong, it's just everything else needs to be brought up to their standard. And then infantry health needs to be increased in line with that. :P

Oh, and as a little tip. I've found at a certain range, about 10 meters and below, even iron sights become useless and with whatever gun you have, you're unfortunately better off just gambling with hip fire.

Ninja edit:
Or switch to Engy and get the battle rifle.  I am a far better sniper with that thing, except with the added ability to drop tank mines, be (moderately) useful in close combat, repair vehicles and MAXes, and resupply ammo to teammates and myself.
Killing snipers as a medic is just far too easy...
Sounds like you've certed into things you really didn't need to.
Besides.
That's why you sub out that silly bolt-action rifle for a SMG and play like a spy should.
How many certs is an SMG?
Considering for 250 you can pick up a bolt action rifle without a scope, which only helps prove the relevance of my analogy of the gambler's shotgun. Only now with decent sights.

Double Edit: Just a quick explanation, as if it weren't blindingly obvious. I'm not one for the pray and spray kind of tactic.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: February 10, 2013, 10:27:14 pm »

Secret:  I have extremely little experience with the infil class because I can't stand actual sniping.  I just like the SMG as a concept better for them- I'd rather sneak up behind someone and unload a clip in their back as opposed to ventilate their head from 500 meters.

I do, indeed, like the medic AR, but I'm not a huge fan of actually playing medic.  I'd focus on the AR if it was available in a class I liked.  I just don't much care for carbines.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:31 pm »

Secret:  I have extremely little experience with the infil class because I can't stand actual sniping.  I just like the SMG as a concept better for them- I'd rather sneak up behind someone and unload a clip in their back as opposed to ventilate their head from 500 meters.
HA! I can tell you're not lying when you say you don't like sniping. I don't think I've ever seen anything in this game at 500 meters. I think the view distance on infantry is somewhere between 100-200 meters.
Though I guess the bio labs do render at about 1000m. Do terrain features count?

Not that I can stand sniping much myself, it just happens to be helpful sometimes when there's an enemy approaching me from a distance.
It's just that I feel, why waste a magazine to kill someone when just two or three shots will do the job just as well.
(Two or three being for the more expensive, semi-automatic rifle. You don't need more than two with the bolt action.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:16 pm »

I'll never need an SMG for my infiltrator, because I have the Artemis. A fully automatic scout rifle with a 20 round magazine and ironsights? No question in that for me.

Unrelated happiness: Got a direct impact kill with my underbarrel on a TR infiltrator as he was in mid-jump from a tower. It was like little salsa-y fireworks. :3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5924 on: February 10, 2013, 11:41:38 pm »

Eeesh. There are two kinds of tanks; invulnerable, infinitely damage-dealing tanks, and inflatable tanks. For some reason, I never spawn the former, only the latter. How many tank shells does it take to blow up a sunderer anyway?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 826