Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089895 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6900 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »

Shotguns are pretty useless beyond point blank. The pump action ones can one-hit people if you get most of the shots on the head, though, and can one-hit Infiltrators, which is nice, but beyond that, any other weapon is most useful in 90% of the situations you find yourself in. At best, they're good for those tooth and nail CQC fights, but even then there's usually not a lot of room for error.

I think you've got your numbers backwards. 90% of the fights in the game are tooth and nail, CQC, could use your knife if you felt like it fights. They're definitely a situational weapon, but their situation is a pretty common one.

Sadly the slugs do not work as well on the auto shotties what with the poor accuracy on consecutive shots. The slug ammo much more favors one accurate apha shot. I just hope they nerf slugs somehow, it's silly when the choice is a no brainer as it is now.

My testing in the VR shows pump-shot slugs two hit out to around 30 meters, unless you hit the head. The auto shotties three hit pretty much up until point blank range. Not unlike standard ammo, the pump-shot works better if you're accurate enough to hit every shot, and the autos better if you're not. I found the accuracy penalty to be somewhat irrelevant, by the time you've corrected for recoil it's basically gone anyway.

Slug ammo does seem pretty neat, I'm keen to try it out.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: April 11, 2013, 07:00:15 pm »

VR? Is that where you can test weapons? Where is that?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: April 11, 2013, 07:05:12 pm »

Go there by following the magic link trail at the bottom of the continent select screen in your WG terminal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6903 on: April 11, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »

I think you've got your numbers backwards. 90% of the fights in the game are tooth and nail, CQC, could use your knife if you felt like it fights. They're definitely a situational weapon, but their situation is a pretty common one.

According to the Devs, most infantry fights occur at 40m, well outside of the range of shotguns. I'm sure that varies from player to player, but even in fights less than 10m the shotgun's low capacity magazines and need for precision put it at a disadvantage.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:55 pm »

I've been using the auto-shotty almost exclusively on my medic since it was the only weapon onhim that I already unlocked upgrades for... And I'll be honest, it's a pretty bullshit weapon. I usually keep slugs on it, the VS still don't have any bullet drop with the slugs soooo... Yeah, I've two-shot people from a distance with a 2x scope where an auto-rifle would require at least a 4x to keep a decent train. The slugs don't even have a downside in CQC for the auto-shottie, you can't realistically one-shot a person even without them on so putting the slugs on basically has no downside. Combine that with the extended magazine and you've got a high ammo capacity weapon excels at close-range and is decent or sometimes better than other options for mid to long range.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »

Yeah, shotgun snipe is pretty ridiculous in this game.  ::)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6906 on: April 11, 2013, 11:45:22 pm »

yeah i do the shotgun sniper thing, I use the sweeper on a light assault. Gotten pretty good with it, and I can jet into hard to reach spots.
I got nothing

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35:29 am »

Three nights this week, during prime playing time in Australia, Briggs has been shut down for around three hours.  So frustrating.  Went to Matherson, but being 3 AM server local, very few players.  Gonna give up on Planetside 2 for today and hope they get their shit together by tomorrow when I expect to put in a solid, uninterupted, crash-free 30 minutes.  FFS. >:(
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:33 am »

Good thing I don't play Briggs during primetime.

Anyway, I have a question: is there ANY weapons I can get without having to spend real life cash?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: April 12, 2013, 05:53:07 am »

If you have the certs, you can unlock any weapon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:57:02 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: April 12, 2013, 05:56:55 am »

If you have the certs, you can buy any weapon.

This. SC just lets you get them faster and lets you get decorative items. If this game was very P2W this thread wouldn't have survived this long.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: April 12, 2013, 09:00:19 am »

If you have the certs, you can buy any weapon.

This. SC just lets you get them faster and lets you get decorative items. If this game was very P2W this thread wouldn't have survived this long.

Yeah. It's a very well designed system as well as being an extremely fun and innovative game due in part to it. My hats off to Sony for this one and I think it will have a very long and successful run.

EDIT: Mattherson NC has it going on today.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:09:52 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: April 12, 2013, 03:13:19 pm »

I'm on the verge of buying my first shiny with certs. I'ma rock the PS1 TR quintuple launcher, because I hate aircraft, and it seems pretty solid. It sucks arse at close range, but one of those and a Burster max can down aircraft at any range.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:13 pm »

I finally got my brick of C4. My suicide runs are now more effective.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: April 13, 2013, 12:33:27 am »

Ah, I thought the price display was Certs + SC,  not Certs OR SC.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 826