Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089403 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8370 on: October 31, 2013, 09:33:06 am »

Someone will make an idiotic comment about 'game vs. reality' after i say this, but as a US Army 19k (M1 crewman) I can say with absolute assurance that any F.A.V. struck by any tank shell should be reduced to flaming wreckage, I do not care what materials you think you have, I do not care if you can repair on the fly, the heavy tank is the undisputed king of cavalry warfare for a reason, and that reason is it's own capacity to survive incoming fire while destroying enemy equipment.

Now, to assuage the 'reality vs. game' people I will say this, in the interest of balance it would likely be best if a harasser can take one (1) hit from any tank shell and survive, the next shot should kill period.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: October 31, 2013, 09:37:01 am »

Let's see... every single air vehicle in the game, light assault's personal jetpack (which generates fuel out of thin air,) a tank that levitates, and resurrecting people from the dead are all concepts I have a harder time accepting than a light vehicle that can withstand tank shells. Just throwing that out there.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: October 31, 2013, 09:41:49 am »

I really don't care whether or not you have difficulty accepting it.  I am not willing to even acknowledge the possibility that a vehicle massing less than 2 tons can withstand a munition massing 50+ lbs moving at any velocity beyond 40 mph, the kinetic force alone should flip the vehicle over and tear it to pieces.  The physics engine is obviously incapable of modeling that properly, so I would be very happy to accept the F.A.V.s 'HP' being removed in a logical manner. /argument

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:16 am »

What would you suggest be done about jetpacks, then?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:17 am »

Nothing, they're balanced just fine, able to get you just to the top of building less that three storeys tall, and vulnerable while doing so.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: October 31, 2013, 09:49:33 am »

Nothing, they're balanced just fine, able to get you just to the top of building less that three storeys tall, and vulnerable while doing so.

But they make absolutely no sense with regards to physics!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:46 am »

I'd like to point out that SoE tries to avoid oneshot kills and low TTK in general with some exeptions where things are just completely out of scale (Tank main cannon vs a Infantryman for example).

In fact a Lightening with a AP cannon can't kill a ESF with one shot if i recall correctly.

If the harrases was nerfed to the point it can't even take one shot then the only use for it would be... AA.
Just put a Walker on it and park near a zerg just as you would do with a skyguard and hope no ESF decided to blow you up.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: October 31, 2013, 09:53:39 am »

I don't care about the jetpacks, the mechanic frankly doesn't impress or interest me, I can kill a human in the air just as effectively as on the ground.  The harassers main role in battle should be anti-infantry (the role that F.A.V.s excell at) and scouting the damned thing should not under any circumstances be the 'best' anti-vehicle option in the game, and given how often I see them someone clearly thinks they are.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:41 am »

So it's okay to not make sense as long as it doesn't kill you?

Got it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:49 am »

I don't mind being killed, my KD is actually pretty bad, but I usually HA, my issue is that vehicles have no kind of discernable balance at all, lightnings outfitted for AA or AI are halfway decent, but outfitted for Anti-Armor are garbage, ESFs are mysteriously good at everything  if you have just the tiniest bit of skill, heavy tanks can be effective against infantry (LOL) but can't kill another vehicle in an acceptable timeframe without scoring rear-shots exclusively (on a future tank? some modern tanks can't be reliable disbled with rear shots the Merkava for example) the balance is simply non-existant in vehicle warfare, when compared to the infantry balance.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: October 31, 2013, 10:17:37 am »

Harasser's natural defence is avoiding getting shot in the first place, it doesn't need to be able to take shots at all. With how fast it goes, an MBT really only has time to get one or two shots off before it's out of sight, and such a small and fast target is really hard to hit. Anyhow, my problem with harasser is that it's role is *everything*, when the damn thing should be the LA of vehicles.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: October 31, 2013, 10:26:24 am »

Harasser's natural defence is avoiding getting shot in the first place, it doesn't need to be able to take shots at all. With how fast it goes, an MBT really only has time to get one or two shots off before it's out of sight, and such a small and fast target is really hard to hit. Anyhow, my problem with harasser is that it's role is *everything*, when the damn thing should be the LA of vehicles.
This, completely, the harasser is stupidly fast and very capable without needing any additional survivability, infantry should be able to take it out with concentrated fire if they can keep a freaking bead on it  it should not be able to one on one a tank, unless the tank pilot is completely garbage.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: October 31, 2013, 12:23:17 pm »

Everybody hates Harrassers, so those are getting nerfed. Here's what caught my eye:

Proximity Radar Change
  • Proximity Radar is being moved to the defense slot
    • Proximity Radar is intended to be the defensive warning against approaching infantry with C-4, but it’s become obvious that the other options are vastly preferred in the Utility slot.
    • We feel that moving it to the Defense slot makes more sense for the cert line and that this move gives players clearer defensive options to choose from.

Noteworthy also is the effect this has on murderwagons, given they liked to rock radar and blockade.  Now, however, they can instead go gatecrasher.

Will this change affect Scout Radar on the Flash?  It's more utility than defensive.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: October 31, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »

I was lucky enough to gun for my platoon leader while he drove his tricked-out Harasser around leading. I basically just kept the air off his back. But it was cool to watch him keep an eye on everything and direct traffic without actually getting in the scrap personally. His Harasser was tough enough to survive, but fast enough to get from battle to battle ahead of the push. Also on the ground so it wasn't such a big target as a plane. If he did a sundy he'd have become a target because enemies would be trying to cut off the spawn, plus it's slow. I think the Harasser was just the best vehicle for the job he was doing.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: October 31, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »

So i had one of my very rare pure canon air victories against a rival ESF several minutes ago.
After a minute or so of sharp turns i managed to shoot down a scythe!
The name of the pilot?
WorstPilotEU.
Well that's one way of cockblocking your opponents.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 826