Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089215 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9735 on: February 27, 2014, 01:56:37 pm »

I have such a love-hate relationship with this game and the people behind it. They remove jumping ADS, but then give everyone forever my favorite shotgun, so I'll never have to actually jump and ADS.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: February 27, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »

One thing to grumble about is no refund for duplicate camos and starter weapons that I already have

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:07 pm »

Since I'm TR at first I thought "oh, crap, burst rifle? It's going to be like the Prowler, but as an infantry...", then I remembered hardly anyone stands still out of cover these days so who cares about headshots, I'll gladly take easier double body-shots - if that's what this rifle delivers (fingers crossed).

It's more like the SABR-13 than any of the existing sniper rifles. It kills with six body shots at any range, three head shots at any range. And the burst fire mode has low recoil and fires rapidly, like the Desperado's burst fire mode.

It's a good gun. I want to buy it, and maybe I will when I get the certs.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: February 27, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »

The Warden is a beast now, but I'll have to give up the silencer on it, the drop is even more noticeable for some reason, but, for a sniping engineer, I'll be holding off the Scythes again.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: February 28, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »

Haven't been able to fully download the damn game (internet problems :(), so...
How are the ES SR's?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: February 28, 2014, 01:25:27 pm »

TR's a godly decloak and rape machine.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: February 28, 2014, 02:32:58 pm »

So the quiz on the new patch gives you a gun based solely on what class you pick. Your answers to the questions don't matter as you can just pick a class afterwards regardless. Only works for the first character you take it on per account. All possible weapons are worth 250 certs. The breakdown for each class;

Infiltrator: SAS-R, TSAR-42, Ghost.
All low zoom, rapid reload bolt actions.

LA/Engineer: Razor, T5 AMC, Pulsar C
All 'long' (well, solid medium) range carbines.

Medic: Carnage AR, Cycler TRV, Corvus
NC/TR are close/medium range assault rifles, VS get a high damage AR.

Heavy: EM1, Rhino, Pulsar LSW
Support based LMGs.

Max: Grinder, M2 Mutilator, Cosmos
High capacity weapons. Note that these are for the left arm, the same as the default AI weapon and so should be treated as an upgrade of the starter weapon. They do not let you run with two AI weapons. You need to pay the 250 certs for the other arm.

I'm not all that impressed by any of the NC choices. I mean, at least three are good, but I feel I have reliable weapons for those slots already. The AC-X11 works frankly better as a long range carbine, the GR-22 is just as good as a close range AR, and the EM6 is better long range/support LMG (I even own the 200 round expanded mag for full on spray cover fire sessions). I don't snipe so the SAS-R is out. Almost tempted by the Grinder just so I have one of each of the four AI weapons, split evenly across the two arms...

To a new player I'd say the Carnage is best as a really nice medic weapon. Also probably the one to take you furthest from the class starting weapon. Similarly the TR should probably go with the TRV. It's a truly disgustingly weapon. For VS it's probably the Pulsar C which adds a nice punch to the VS arsenal.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: February 28, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »

Haven't been able to fully download the damn game (internet problems :(), so...
How are the ES SR's?

NC AF-8 RailJack

I like the feel of it, and I'm not sure where people are getting too much of an issue with a delay on it. Fast bullet velocity, reliable one hit kills with headshots (and severely wounding anything else), but quite a bit of bullet drop. Solid end tier sniper rifle, though SOE may have backed themselves into a corner with giving any better bolt actions in the future. It originally had 10 rounds in a clip, but now is back to 4, and has a fairly long reload time.

VS Phaseshift VX-S

It's... different. You don't have to worry about running out of ammo, just running up the heat meter. Biggest issue with it is the travel time and the charge up time, making it more of a midrange rifle if you can't find someone standing still. The charge up delay is about a second, but it auto fires after about two, so you have to make the shots count or reveal your position. The bullet velocity (550m/s) is lower than even the recently buffed battle rifles (VS Eidolon, NC Warden and TR AMR-66), making it very difficult to hit moving targets with at any range. No bullet drop, though, which means you can use a suppressor with impunity. Overall I like it, though it takes some getting used to.

TR TRAP-M1
I haven't personally had the chance to try it yet, but from what I hear the TR got shafted in this round in comparison to what the other two got. Essentially a burst fire battle rifle with lowish damage and bullet drop that makes it impossible to hit anything beyond mid range. Most people feel shafted by this rifle compared to the other two, but only time will tell if that holds true.

On a semi related note, I'm wondering where they put the straight pull bolt equivalent, an attachment which would let you continue to use bolt actions without leaving the scope. SOE is pretty silent on what they did to it, though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:56:40 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: February 28, 2014, 05:52:38 pm »

To a new player I'd say the Carnage is best as a really nice medic weapon. Also probably the one to take you furthest from the class starting weapon. Similarly the TR should probably go with the TRV. It's a truly disgustingly weapon. For VS it's probably the Pulsar C which adds a nice punch to the VS arsenal.

The Carnage is a nice gun, but it's a bit strange to me why they chose that over the GD-22. For a new player it is preferable to have recoil that's easier to manage, and to this end I believe the actual default gauss rifle to be much more suitable. The default gauss rifle is already pretty awesome in its own right, the only reason I don't use it is because the S version can mount more stuff on it.

The gauss SAW is not a good weapon for a newbie, so it's good that they're offering an alternative for them.

I want to get around to playing this again so I can see all the changes, but things keep coming up. Is there a place to see the questionnaire thing if you're not a newbie? i'm curious to see what it's like.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: February 28, 2014, 06:04:43 pm »

It hits you immediately on login, once per account (so no getting the bonuses on multipe characters). Fairly generic, with questions like "do you like fighting at short/medium/long range," "do you like specialization or versatility," and the ability to change/choose what you get at the end of it anyway.

Do note the "as soon as you log in to a character" bit, as people are complaining that they logged into an alt and missed the bonus on their main character.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: February 28, 2014, 10:54:12 pm »

It hits you immediately on login, once per account (so no getting the bonuses on multipe characters). Fairly generic, with questions like "do you like fighting at short/medium/long range," "do you like specialization or versatility," and the ability to change/choose what you get at the end of it anyway.

Do note the "as soon as you log in to a character" bit, as people are complaining that they logged into an alt and missed the bonus on their main character.
Well myself i did not get the prompt, i had to initiate the tutorial manually by going in the help menu.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9746 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:09 am »

Just as an addendum to palsch's overview, if you picked up the Alpha Squad pack when the game launched, don't select LA/Engineer if you are Vanu or Medic if you are TR, as the weapon given was already included in that pack.

Just had a look at the recent patch notes, 30 second timer on revives being allowed should be interesting and will make it harder for maxes to rampage to far ahead of their support. After taking down a max it may now be worthwhile camping the area to take out medics until the timer runs out. It also makes the higher level medic tools more useful as they will give you a couple of extra seconds to reach a revive target.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:25:37 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: March 01, 2014, 06:15:27 am »

I'm getting a Game Error G10
(that is the real formatting, apparently) after I try and login. The wiki tells me it is a problem with my character. I want to play. What do? It gets to maybe 65% loaded.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9748 on: March 01, 2014, 07:10:16 am »

Anyone else having the launcher repeatedly crashing to desktop when trying to download the recent update? It doesn't seem to be able to stay up for more than 3 minutes.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: March 01, 2014, 03:03:54 pm »

Anyone else having the launcher repeatedly crashing to desktop when trying to download the recent update? It doesn't seem to be able to stay up for more than 3 minutes.

Yes, I haven't been able to figure it out.
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 826