Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089321 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10440 on: May 12, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »

You wouldn't believe just how many of those vehicleless peasants you can kill with thermal optics. I wouldn't bother with vehicles as an ESF unless they were smoking, takes way too long to kill them and you're liable to get hit by something scary if you hang around in one place that long. For libs, a rotary is more then adequate, all you need to do is steer clear of the guns (ie shoot it's top or the sides). If it starts to point a gun at you, afterburn away and then just turn back for another pass.

As for solo Libbing, I see people do it now and then, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:38:23 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: May 12, 2014, 01:43:50 pm »

Locust got a bit of buff not too long ago so it doesn't completely suck.

Its still not worth the cost though.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: May 15, 2014, 10:45:55 pm »

Afterburner is more useful than rockets in a dogfight because you can reverse maneuver more, but doing that is an arcane art I have yet to master after 47h of flying a Reaver (which to be fair was mostly spent shooting infantry).

Oh, and dogfighting airframe is plenty useful IMO. It gives a huge boost to yaw, which increases overall agility by a good deal.

Dogfighting is good for flying near the ground and around terrain because you can yaw faster. It's also pretty good if you can afterburn right behind an enemy fighter, it helps you stay on their tail if they turn to try to escape instead of stopping and starting a hover fight. It's kind of useful with stealth. I like using the airhammer this way because it works well to get within a few feet of them if you can.

I'd still recommend getting hover over it though. Dogfighting doesn't increase yaw fast enough that you can use yaw to do maneuvors like the Immelman turn or a 180 degree spin like a Fokker Triplane could in World War One. An enemy on your tail will just roll on their wing and nose up/down faster than you can yaw.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:48:33 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: May 17, 2014, 03:31:52 am »

Most of us play on Mattherson, right?

Who else is in the Server Smash today?
SMASH MILLER! SMASH MILLER!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: May 17, 2014, 06:34:49 am »

If you pitch and yaw at the same time you can do a slightly faster 180 then with just pitch alone. I saw it in a video on youtube, but I can't find it now :( In that same video I learned that a pitch down turn is faster than a pitch up one.

Also, dogfighting airframe increases your roll speed, so you can get onto your side faster and start a pitch turn faster.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: May 17, 2014, 06:35:15 pm »

Mattherson won the Server Smash!
Great job to everyone who was there!

http://www.twitch.tv/inicast/b/529684135
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: May 17, 2014, 07:30:01 pm »

Mattherson won the Server Smash!
Great job to everyone who was there!

http://www.twitch.tv/inicast/b/529684135

Ooh, I had the date saved and was thinking about going, but I had no computer for a few weeks so I forgot about it.

I didn't have computer access for a few weeks as my monitor broke so I'll post about some stuff I missed:

... How did you get 500 certs in the first place in a single day? o-o
HE Lightning with thermals and proximity radar, all day long. Find an enemy base under siege and shell away, keeping one eye on the minimap for C4 fairies. I also had some good runs with an SMG infiltrator, but it's mostly the Lightning. The XP flow does dry out after a while, because enemies simply stop coming out on the outside balconies, but then friendly infantry has a lot more freedom for moving around so they take the base quickly, and then you just rinse and repeat on the next one. This BTW is also why vehicles actually matter, despite how some people claim that the only thing that matters is CQC infantry.

HE lightning is an incredible farm machine. Once you can snapshot and still hit a moving infantry despite the drop it's amazing. Maybe not liberator gunner amazing, but it was the first thing I auraxiumed. I still use it when there is a need for anti-infantry vehicles with splash damage like Mattherson VS turning a room into a deathzone. I use it with a 2x zoom, maxed reload speed, as many ammo storage upgrades as I felt wasn't exorbitantly priced. HE runs out of ammo very fast. I also use Rival chassis, which allows faster turning and reverse speed. I use smoke launcher to create a smoke cloud when a tank is shooting at me, and reverse to keep the forward armor pointed at them until I feel I can spin and drive full speed ahead. I use stealth armor on all my vehicles.

Flash just needs it's handling fixed... if they wanted to be really nice, they might give it default turbo like the Harasser, but that might be a bit excessive.

Cloak gives you pretty good survivability, right up until you hit a bump, tumble a few times, and get shot since you're now going 2 kph.
They fixed the flash physics on the PTS.

Flash just needs it's handling fixed... if they wanted to be really nice, they might give it default turbo like the Harasser, but that might be a bit excessive.

Cloak gives you pretty good survivability, right up until you hit a bump, tumble a few times, and get shot since you're now going 2 kph.

I hope turbo is fixed so that landing has no chance of instant explosion. It's funny at first, but after a while exploding all the time is just annoying unless a bunch of people are watching or you land on some unfortunate. I would love to see innate turbo in the flash; I have my turbo at max level and it's what makes the flash for me. It would indeed make the flash much stronger. I would in particular use the turbo plus a scout radar. Nowadays I tear around like hell on the ground and sometimes the sky trying to find some unaware infantry on their way somewhere and either M40 or roadkill them; Another target is damaged tank butts for a clip of m40 and an escape before the turret swings around and one shots me. If I take fire I try to turbo to safety up the nearest terrain.  If the enemy does not kill me, landing after turbo has a fair chance to do so. With a scout radar I could do that, plus be useful to my team! It might cause me to play a bit more conservatively. In addition, think of how few flashes you see nowadays. With innate turbo you'd see a heck of a lot more, because a harasser would no longer be better transport in every way except as an infiltrator's assassination ride.

I know most people swear by the cloaking device for killing ability, and I agree with them that it is easy kills if done right. However I could never switch to it in exchange for launching my flash hundreds of feet in the air and landing on someone, or going mountaineering on Amerish and jumping around like some kind of rocket powered goat. That's fun if you are an engineer and aren't in a hurry. I tried it as a light assault the other day and I didn't even make it over the mountains to the other lattice route before I was stranded from tumbling a bit on most hops and taking a sliver of damage. My poor flash eventually caught on fire and I had to put my suffering girl out of her misery with a pistol round between the headlights in some forgotten low point in the mountains of Amerish.

A good example of the awesome that is a turbo flash is this story. In some small skirmish with the TR somewhere and time, I flew into the second balcony of tower somewhere after a turbo over a ramp shaped rock. I landed a bumpy but safe landing and crashed into the far wall with the nose of the flash. I had noticed a startled TR heavy on the balcony as I rocketed past them. I started taking damage from behind while stuck against the wall, and due to having max turbo ranking I had regenerated just enough juice to drive up the wall and onto the ceiling. I dropped off the ceiling having ran out of turbo and my wheels landed against the balcony railing, and I ended up facing the same direction having essentially completed a backflip. What did I see but that very same TR heavy I had apparently just backflipped over, looking away from me where I had just been before turbo. I quickly emptied my m40 grenade launcher into his back and killed him. I was then killed by another TR I hadn't seen when I stopped to try to remember my screenshot button.

I haven't had much luck with Lightnings, they seem fairly slow and clumsy (at least compared to what I'd expect from something named lightning) out of the box, and the 6-shot gun doesn't seem to be all that effective against infantry post-nerf (feels like I need to land the entire clip to kill someone), and ofc isn't the greatest against armor.

If you think about it, all the other main guns require a reload to kill an infantry. I also saw your aircraft troubles thing; if you are having trouble landing I recommend binding Aircraft analog throttle to g key. Analog throttle makes the throttle go from empty to full instantly. W and s are graduated and is slightly slower than analog. Analog is also useful in a dogfight. Note that analog places you essentially in full speed and hover mode. This means you will have to hold s for a second to settle to the ground. In addition consider binding descend to x key if you are having trouble reaching the default.

I'm scared it'll get me banned for client modification :P

In other news, Vandal is pretty good. So is Flash Fury, but I'm not getting good results because I need to learn to shoot on the move. Right now I just get 2-3 kills and then die because I'm stationary.

I haven't used the Vandal much, but I don't like scout rifles in general. I have the semi-auto and I'd just rather use the close range bolt action sniper rifle. It's odd because I like the Warden a lot on my engineer, but I think the Sasser fits better on the infiltrator.

To kill on the move with a flash fury, you need to learn how to slide sideways on it. I use racer three and turbo. By holding space and turning, you start sliding sideways in the way you were initially travelling until you stop (space is handbrake). If you keep on the gas you get some propulsion in the way the nose is pointed and if you hold space, you will slide sideways and then spinout and stop facing roughly 180 degrees off. Tap it as needed instead. Add turbo to that spacebar tapping and you will be rocket sliding sideways. Unless you hit some bumps it's not too hard to hit an infantry or at least the ground near them that way with a fury, plus it looks boss as you can get.

I don't understand how everybody keeps accidentally jumping out of their planes, what exactly are you doing to cause it? >__>
E is next to R. R is reload.

I had some trouble with this too. It's embarrassing when you bail out of your galaxy and it kills your team. I found that the comma key doesn't have a default bind key, and now it's my exit aircraft button. A bonus is if my slash key doesn't register as I open chat with that, and I start typing a sentence. It's less likely to contain a comma than e.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:54:15 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: May 17, 2014, 08:05:26 pm »

Turbo+Cloak Flash would be pretty ridiculous for the ~10 people that know how to fight with their Flash.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: May 20, 2014, 01:43:17 pm »

I logged in just now and there's now a 'nanite cycler' in the menu. I heard something about implants but I wasn't expecting them to be released, has anyone had any experience with them?

EDIT: Oh, and there's a new AR for each faction and NS shotguns as well. Thoughts on those? It's a bit odd to add an NS shotgun after giving each player a free shotgun.

looking at the NS shotgun... apparently it fires 2½ pellets? Am I reading this wrong?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:46:08 pm by OzyTheSage »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: May 20, 2014, 01:53:44 pm »

It'll be interesting to see how the new implant system works out.  Was it ever on test?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: May 20, 2014, 02:37:28 pm »

It'll be interesting to see how the new implant system works out.  Was it ever on test?

It was. No one really liked it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: May 20, 2014, 03:53:07 pm »

There was a patch last night.

looking at the NS shotgun... apparently it fires 2½ pellets? Am I reading this wrong?

No, it shoots pellets in a 2.5 degree cone. Same as the Jackhammer.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: May 20, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

The outfit Sky, Tiruin and I am in on Briggs, "PG12", as well as the no 1. TR outfit JUGA MAX Crashing Saurva.

Featuring such highlights as:

-Almighty Leader Bungins' glorious Western Australian Accent
-Damn good tactics "DON'T DANGLE YOUR PRIVATES OUT THE DOOR"
-Sky repairing the guy filming ("You are being healed by: Ociella")
-And TR proving how easy it is to cap a biolab when you've got good teamwork.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: May 20, 2014, 05:38:56 pm »

There was a patch last night.

No, it shoots pellets in a 2.5 degree cone. Same as the Jackhammer.

The reticule is larger than that of the Jackhammer. Either it, or the stats display is incorrect. I have no idea which, though.

Edit: Flash handling is significantly better. Yaaaaaay!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:18:17 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: May 20, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »

TORQ is okay, its basically a high MV SMG with crappy hip fire.
Really could use a bigger clip size to offset its lower damage though.

TRV is cheaper and has a much better TTK than the TORQ too, although the TORQ is a lot easier to handle and does have a compensator too
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 826