Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002098 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »

Yep.  If it doesn't directly hurt me I generally don't care.  I've never really understood the brony and furry hate.
It's different therefore attack? That seems to be a common theme for stuff like that.
I dunno, I have a hard time believing its as simple as that.  If people naturally hated everything that is different we'd never invent or create anything new.
No, if ALL people hated everything different, we'd never invent or create anything new. It's the minority of people who embrace change which keep humanity progressing forward.
This is the part where we all get sad.
If you say so.  :'( :(

Off to the sad thread!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

To the above discussion:

If you want to do anything, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else, knock yourself out. If it's really harmful, then, hell, conservatives, let the self-harmers kill themselves off. I mean, if AIDS is really God's vengeance on homosexuals, let the "wretched sinners" kill themselves. Note that this is emphatically not what I believe, just to ward off hate.

This, of course, is in regards to real issues, like gay marriage and drugs. Bronies and furries are not real issues. For 99.9% of both groups-and their critics must realize this-it's a hobby, not a goddamn way of life.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:34:42 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »

Depends how you define "way of life." Some people identify with and are passionate about certain things, and there's nothing wrong with that. If your beef is with those who become short sighted and lose track of priorities, then fine; I agree. One can't buy more figurines living in a cardboard box. But otherwise, it being a "way of life" is perfectly fine.

The hate stems not only from "you're different so I don't like you," but also people projecting their own life priorities on others. Not everyone considers financial success to be actual life success, for example. But things like "you work at mcdonalds" are common insults. When someone finds a bit of happiness and fulfillment in something that another deems irrelevant and trivial, that other person tends to be less than sympathetic. It's the entire bullshit logic behind "get a life."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-stupidest-things-we-use-to-judge-people-we-dont-know/

By my definition of "way of life," I'd consider most furries to be justified in calling their hobby that, a small portion of bronies, some sports fans (the ones that go to every game and have a room dedicated to their team), connoisseur of every type, and quite a few others. And if there's a difference between hate directed at these people, and hate directed at homosexuals/people of certain race/etc, it's that the latter get far worse treatment. That's it. The hate is no more or less justified.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:26:47 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:56 pm »

In light of your statement, my own words back there probably qualified for this thread. I had no intention to appear as anti-(anyone) as I may have. I did not mean that having anything as a "way of life" was necessarily bad. I meant that a large portion of people in any given group would emphatically not characterize their membership (whether official or de facto) in that group as being central to their very being, so it is foolish to argue against all of them as if that is their belief.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »

How the hell do you come to that conclusion from the speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q

"I'm always struck by people who think 'Well it must be because I'm so smart', well let me tell you there's a lot of smart people. They think "well, it must be because I worked harder than everybody else", well let me tell you, there's a lot of smart people"

Even if it was about infrastructure, it's an irrelevant point. I give my future children half of their DNA, the wife provides the other half. Therefore, we've had a key role in their success, bigger than the government. Are we allowed to regulate their behavior for their whole lives? Of course not. We provided those things, and their childhood environment, because it's our job as parents. Its the governments job to make roads. Its the governments job to make bridges. It is NOT the governments job to decide which businesses fail and which succeed. It is not their job to make people purchase a product.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »

A person isn't a business or a product. I'm not entirely on board with Obama, but the situation is different.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2012, 07:54:36 pm »

It has been requested a number of times that political 'debates' be moved to the politics thread.  Use below link for further discussion please.
If I may suggest, B12's American Election Megathread is a relevant place to discuss the finer details of Obama's speech.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2012, 08:50:47 pm »

It has been requested a number of times that political 'debates' be moved to the politics thread.  Use below link for further discussion please.
You mean this thread might actually be on topic for once? Oh goody! :D

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »

complaining customer "I worked for 9 years in a software company, don't treat me like i know nothing about computers!"

response: "Yeah and i was a janitor for Microsoft 9 years, I know Windows front and back" ::)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:15 pm »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 11, 2012, 05:56:31 am »

Yep.  If it doesn't directly hurt me I generally don't care.  I've never really understood the brony and furry hate.
It's different therefore attack? That seems to be a common theme for stuff like that.

Pretty much this. People hate and fear what they don't understand. And it is hard to understand grown people watching MLP and dressing like anime cats, so those people get hated. It is really ignorant and incredibly backwards. People should endeavour to understand one another's likes and dislikes, but that would be too utopian. ::)

To expand on this, it often becomes a case of the ego getting in the way. Lots of people end up thinking in one way or another "I'm a smart person. If there was any rational reason for someone liking X, then I would be able to understand it. I don't like X, so therefore liking X is irrational and wrong.

It's a really damn pervasive train of thought. For example, how many people have you met who claim to be open minded, and then go off declaring some music bad because they don't like it?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 11, 2012, 06:50:22 am »

Depends how you define "way of life." Some people identify with and are passionate about certain things, and there's nothing wrong with that. If your beef is with those who become short sighted and lose track of priorities, then fine; I agree. One can't buy more figurines living in a cardboard box. But otherwise, it being a "way of life" is perfectly fine.

The hate stems not only from "you're different so I don't like you," but also people projecting their own life priorities on others. Not everyone considers financial success to be actual life success, for example. But things like "you work at mcdonalds" are common insults. When someone finds a bit of happiness and fulfillment in something that another deems irrelevant and trivial, that other person tends to be less than sympathetic. It's the entire bullshit logic behind "get a life."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-stupidest-things-we-use-to-judge-people-we-dont-know/

By my definition of "way of life," I'd consider most furries to be justified in calling their hobby that, a small portion of bronies, some sports fans (the ones that go to every game and have a room dedicated to their team), connoisseur of every type, and quite a few others. And if there's a difference between hate directed at these people, and hate directed at homosexuals/people of certain race/etc, it's that the latter get far worse treatment. That's it. The hate is no more or less justified.
See, I don't really think that you get the whole hate directed towards "bronies" since you're a brony yourself. From what I've seen, it's the general "In your face" attitude the fandom as a whole has, and trust me this doesn't just apply to the small "vocal minority" that seems to be referred to often in arguments relating to certain fandoms. For comparison, look at the Justin Bieber fans. They're fans of a pop singer but have that "In your face" attitude that I mentioned before. I can guarantee the hate isn't as simple as "They don't understand, therefore they hate it.", it's literally based upon the fact that the fandom likes to be very open and pushy about their hobby, especially if they find out someone doesn't approve of it.

People don't actively hate on furries like they used to because they're not trying to force their hobby on other people anymore, they stay in their own communities and there isn't a lot of active hate directed towards them anymore. But hey, take whatever I say with a grain of salt considering the majority of the other websites I visit are pretty much anti-brony to the core and my opinion may be completely biased for all I know.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #312 on: August 11, 2012, 07:07:22 am »

-words-
-more words-
Being both a brony and a furry, I couldn't agree with you more. There's few things more annoying that someone else trying to force their hobby down your throat despite your clear statements that you're not interested, it also largely depends on your definition of forcing it on other people though, there's people who seem to think that having a pony avatar qualifies as forcing it down their throat; which is complete and utter bollocks.

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2012, 07:13:05 am »

-words-
-more words-
Being both a brony and a furry, I couldn't agree with you more. There's few things more annoying that someone else trying to force their hobby down your throat despite your clear statements that you're not interested, it also largely depends on your definition of forcing it on other people though, there's people who seem to think that having a pony avatar qualifies as forcing it down their throat; which is complete and utter bollocks.

I also agree with you, and I am not a brony nor a furry. It's an avatar. I hate anime, but seeing anime avatars, I don't get all flame-war-y and start trashing them for shoving anime down my throat.

Also, as for the shoving things down people's throats:

Also, she started talking about church to me, and to make her stop, I told her I was a muslim (I'm not, nothing against them though). An hour later, the cool cashier came up to me and said the dumb ass cashier was worried I was a terrorist. Based on the fact I said I was muslim and didn't want to talk about jesus with her.

Don't talk to me about church please. :D Or I will turn into a terrorist, apparently.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2012, 07:44:54 am »

Also, as for the shoving things down people's throats:

Also, she started talking about church to me, and to make her stop, I told her I was a muslim (I'm not, nothing against them though). An hour later, the cool cashier came up to me and said the dumb ass cashier was worried I was a terrorist. Based on the fact I said I was muslim and didn't want to talk about jesus with her.

Don't talk to me about church please. :D Or I will turn into a terrorist, apparently.

Inexplicably works a bit better if you say you're Jewish instead. Just shuts them up without any of the terrorism connotations. Unfair, but true.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 510