Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002001 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7365 on: November 17, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »

Pre-history-A.D. 500: Sporadic banging, collective grunting.
500-1200: Perfecting banging, Advanced grunting.
1200-1600: Varied by location, ranging from drums and rhythmic chanting to depressing harpsichord.

Seems 'bout right.
Suuuuuure...
200 B.C greek theater will have a word with you. And 400 A.D celtic harp and songs. And medieval choirs and church organ. That kind of stuff.

Did you just file late medieval era under prehistoric times?

I think I've done a perfectly accurate job in methodically labeling all periods of musical history. As for putting late medieval era together with pre-history, well, why not? Not much got done in the Dark Age. Peasants starved to death, knights beat each other with phallic objects, and royalty killed each other over wanting additional slices of pie or concerning which flavor of ice cream Jesus Christ preferred.

For a "disco revival" this decade doesn't seem to have much sunshine.

Two of the biggest hits this year have been disco songs. And both Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake have released disco tracks. And wasn't there a disco song or two on GaGa's ArtPop?

On-topic, I heard this gem today:

"Tupac didn't get killed in Las Vegas, he survived but then he died in the Earthquake in Haidy [sic] so when he comes back we'll all be dead anyways."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:36:54 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: November 17, 2013, 05:21:32 pm »

Personally I'd rather not even think about laying my hands on organs of the Church.

Yeah, the Church sure does like Bach, in particular Concerto for Organ in A Minor.

This made me cringe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: November 17, 2013, 05:25:16 pm »

Holy hell, that actually is one of Bach's pieces. One I've heard, even.

... makes me wonder if the language back then was such that, well. That.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: November 17, 2013, 05:26:22 pm »

Or you're breaking your fingers laying down some sick mad new shit, yo.
Well yeah, but there's very little modern stuff for the organ. Plus the classical stuff is awesome, just listen to Davy Jones play in Pirates of the Carribean!
I demand a link.
Your wish is my command:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UfT0jVzNkw
It's not an organ solo piece, though.

And for some Bach organ, no pun intended:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVraVgzC9U
Pretty much the standard organ piece, I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PyBWLALFLQ
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: November 17, 2013, 05:56:57 pm »

Holy hell, that actually is one of Bach's pieces. One I've heard, even.

... makes me wonder if the language back then was such that, well. That.
Actually, a "organ concerto in A-minor" by Bach does not exist at all, but is a modern construct. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_concerto#Johann_Sebastian_Bach_.281685.E2.80.931750.29 . Apart from that, any such innuendo would be missing from the german or italian translation, anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: November 17, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »

Huh. So what exactly is BWV 593? M'not really parsing what that wikipedia article is trying to get at, unfortunately  :-\

Though yeah, translation. Forgot about that. Shame.
Ask not!
Ask!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: November 17, 2013, 09:24:55 pm »

BWV 593 is a solo organ transcription by Bach of Op. 3 No. 8 for 2 violins and basso continuo by Antonio Vivaldi.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:19 pm »

... so it's a organ transcription by Bach of ... Opera? Operation? 3, Number 8 (which I have no idea how works. Is it Op. 3 or Op 8? Op 11?). That's done by Vivaldi? Your words confuse me further ;_;

Or... it's a transcription by Bach for two violins, and a basso continuo by Vivaldi?
Ask not!
Ask!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:53 pm »

Opus.

It's a transcription for organ by Bach that was originally a piece for 2 violins and basso continuo by Vivaldi.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: November 17, 2013, 11:26:15 pm »

That. That makes more sense. Thank you.

Though, uh. How is that not an organ concerto in A minor? Organ transcription of a concerto'd still be a concerto, right?
Ask not!
Ask!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: November 18, 2013, 12:35:50 am »

I think I've done a perfectly accurate job in methodically labeling all periods of musical history. As for putting late medieval era together with pre-history, well, why not? Not much got done in the Dark Age. Peasants starved to death, knights beat each other with phallic objects, and royalty killed each other over wanting additional slices of pie or concerning which flavor of ice cream Jesus Christ preferred.
This was going to the stupid things you've heard people say, but then I realized it already was.
I mean you can't be serious.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: November 18, 2013, 09:54:56 am »

i think in music history it is, since proper musical notation wasn't a thing until about the baroque. everything before is just called antique music... that's what my brother told me from his music history class

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: November 18, 2013, 11:48:41 am »

i think in music history it is, since proper musical notation wasn't a thing until about the baroque. everything before is just called antique music... that's what my brother told me from his music history class
Well, if you define "prehistoric" by "before the invention of writing", then yes it is prehistoric.
EDIT: Wikipedia says, in a very lenghty article, that musical notation was indeed a thing all the way before the 13th century though. In fact, modern notation method was born somewhere around 1000 AD (If I read that well. Might be earlier even).

What I am fairly offended about is that TCM puts ancient celtic music (amongst others) in the "advanced grunting and perfecting banging" category. I mean, shit, when you enter "medieval" in Youtube's search engine, "medieval music" is the second suggestion, and this is the first result of the search. I dare you to dismiss it as "banging and grunting". It's like dismissing everything between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance as "the Dark Ages".
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: November 18, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

It's like dismissing everything between the fall of the roman empire and the renaissance as "the Dark Ages".

So, pretty much everyone except those who specialize in the field don't realize it's wrong? :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: November 18, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »

Well, if you define "prehistoric" by "before the invention of writing", then yes it is prehistoric.
that's pretty much the definition of prehistoric. i think the thing about medieval, and greek, and cuneiform, etc. notation was that it was incomplete by modern standards and leave much to interpretation. but one can say that about early alphabets, and they still count as historic, so... eh.
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 510