Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451489 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2012, 11:26:07 am »

*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
(when you have 40~ provinces...)
*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
event 6602 *9000.

Really, War Exhaustion is the reason I don't play this game. You get to the point where you need stacks of 15k~ soldiers on your borders to stop the 10+ bordering nations from steamrolling you as one - but you can't put this defence up, because you wind up getting +7 WE every month.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »

Quote from: Paradox thread.
Use of spies will be reduced.
Am I the only one who finds this a little strange? I was expecting spies to get a little bit more love in EUIV. Personally I never found them all that great in III if you weren't a monarchy and therefore couldn't fake claims. You could occasionally start a rebellion or the like but the risks were for the most part not worth it when you're giving a country a free CB + a rather high reparations stab. Most gameplays (outside monarchies) my spy bar stayed at 5 and I'd only use a couple when there was a rather nasty siege or to get natives to raise some colonies.

EDIT: Also doesn't seem like they're changing the population mechanics which is a little disheartening. It was possibly the weakest part of EUIII
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:40:00 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:37 pm »

I hope they bring back the pre DW levels of province decisions and stuff you can do.

Really, War Exhaustion is the reason I don't play this game. You get to the point where you need stacks of 15k~ soldiers on your borders to stop the 10+ bordering nations from steamrolling you as one - but you can't put this defence up, because you wind up getting +7 WE every month.

Huh? Where does the WE come from? I normally have at first tens and then hundreds of thousands of border guards, they don't give WE unless they are dying.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:50:50 pm by Criptfeind »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 02:01:46 pm »

*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
(when you have 40~ provinces...)
*cast war*
infamy -50
stability
event 6602 *9000.

Well, if you are really getting into so many wars that your WE is always going over the top, then you should really be taking a break from all that Conquest :P

Also you should feel horrible for cheating so much.

Huh? Where does the WE come from? I normally have at first tens and then hundreds of thousands of border guards, they don't give WE unless they are dying.

You War Exhaustion when you are in War (Durr), and when you are taking a lot of attrition. I'm pretty sure thats all the ways it can happen. (You can also get it from certain events, but those are fairly uncommon.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:05:52 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:33 pm »

I believe attrition, major losses in battles, blockades and captured home cores are the biggest sources of WE.

Anyway, back to EU4 shall we?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2012, 02:18:41 pm »

A common mistake (which I'm guilty of doing) is leaving a force in a province that has a low supply limit and therefore causes attrition. I was wondering why my war exhaustion was so high when I realised that I left a whole bunch of my Papal Free Shooter squads on some tropical Indian provinces when I sent them to wreck rebels.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2012, 02:51:52 pm »

A common mistake (which I'm guilty of doing) is leaving a force in a province that has a low supply limit and therefore causes attrition. I was wondering why my war exhaustion was so high when I realised that I left a whole bunch of my Papal Free Shooter squads on some tropical Indian provinces when I sent them to wreck rebels.

Yeah, it happens to the best of us. In other Paradox games like CK II I always accidentally leave some of my troops raised in some obscure province.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:36 pm »

Quote from: Paradox thread.
Use of spies will be reduced.
Am I the only one who finds this a little strange? I was expecting spies to get a little bit more love in EUIV. Personally I never found them all that great in III if you weren't a monarchy and therefore couldn't fake claims. You could occasionally start a rebellion or the like but the risks were for the most part not worth it when you're giving a country a free CB + a rather high reparations stab. Most gameplays (outside monarchies) my spy bar stayed at 5 and I'd only use a couple when there was a rather nasty siege or to get natives to raise some colonies.

EDIT: Also doesn't seem like they're changing the population mechanics which is a little disheartening. It was possibly the weakest part of EUIII
Maybe they mean they'll fix the problem of warring in the HRE meaning that you'll forever have twenty OPMs sending spies your way.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

One of the things that really annoys me in EU III is that enemy nations can send tons of spies your way, and if you have a truce/white peace (or whatever its called in EU III) with them then you are unable to do anything about it, I don't know about you, but I think that sending tons of spies to a enemy nation would be a hostile enough action to justify a declaration of war and void a truce.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 10:35:13 pm »

On the plus side, AI spies are ignorable. They just annoy me by spawning a rebel stack every once in a while, its not like they actually use spies in a way thats likely to hurt you much.

With that, I'm going to look into turning off the notification for spies... I really don't care if I have lithuania throwing a thousand spies at me.

I'm hoping EU4 makes them less of a spammy-spammy thing and adds more weight to them. In EU3 the only spy action that was likely to be very important is Forge Claims, and maybe Patriots.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2012, 11:43:07 pm »

On the plus side, AI spies are ignorable. They just annoy me by spawning a rebel stack every once in a while, its not like they actually use spies in a way thats likely to hurt you much.

With that, I'm going to look into turning off the notification for spies... I really don't care if I have lithuania throwing a thousand spies at me.

I'm hoping EU4 makes them less of a spammy-spammy thing and adds more weight to them. In EU3 the only spy action that was likely to be very important is Forge Claims, and maybe Patriots.
Well its not actually dangerous (I don't think enemy spies have ever done anything that has actually threatened me), but its really annoying getting rebellions way off in your colonies (eg. The Azores) and having to send a squad of troops over there (by boat since the colony in question isn't large enough to necessitate a standing army over there and because it usually has a 0% rebellion rate).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2012, 01:56:43 am »

Well from what I've seen on the forums it seems like they're changing the the "foreign support for rebels" mechanic. It doesn't seem to be an act of espionage anymore and rather an act of diplomacy where you can vow support for a particular group of rebels. I assume the rebels count as some sort of mini-faction with limited diplomacy options. 
This should hopefully combat the AI doing nothing but insisting to spam spy rebels while possibly also negating the "whack-a-rebel" problem. Having rebels rise on an Island province and have to put units on a boat on shipping them out will always be annoying.

It seems like Pirates might be getting changed too. Hopefully they'll just stick to unprotected trade lanes instead of having an isolated colony with 54 inhabitants get a pirate blockade in a few months. Also heard Privateers mentioned a few times, could we finally see mercenary boats? 

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2012, 02:44:10 am »

I've never considered AI spies to be more then a minor nuisance.  And my play style tends towards pretty much non-stop over expansion.  If your infamy is zero you are doing it wrong.

Spies are fantastic in the hands of a player though.  Lift fog?  Yes please!  Fund patroits?  Groovy.  Claim throne?  Practically cheating.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2012, 04:20:00 am »

I just remembered one of the things I really truly hate with EU3. The lack of ships having an automatic upgrading system. It's so annoying to have a hundred or so completely outdated ships with no way to modernise your navy without an extreme amount of micromanagement and tedium. So many cogs even very late into the game. 
Would also be nice to see different tech/culture groups get different ships. Chinese junks and South American rafts are needed in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:49:42 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 04:38:43 am »

I think modernization needs more fleshing out in general. It seems strange to me how all your soldiers suddenly know how to use these new-fangled musket things, and how ships are just completely static in that respect.
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 216