Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451545 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2013, 04:27:46 pm »

even if I can keep up with tech western troops are just magically better and it's silly.
I always found that annoying in the original- I get that Europe has the highest tech level in the game for essentially no reason (instead of inventing a cool mechanic connected to trade and plurality, it's just straight up '5 times better at !!SCIENCE!!- suck it, natives!') but why do they also get better troops at the same levels (for, again, no reason besides "white means might")?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53:31 pm »

So the converter is out - anyone have cool saves they'd want to hand over? I kinda accidentally overwrote the save I was supposed to convert. Yaaay.
Do you want the save file to convert or the already-converted file for EUIV?

EDIT: place this in "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\eu4_export\mod"

Either way is fine, but the latter sounds simpler. What's the world like in that one? Looking for interesting starts here.
There are some megablobs over europe. Also Roman Empire, christianity reunited (orthodox won. you need to take the same places to make the roman empire and to mend the schism), and SI-enabled save, so uber-aztecs/incas with zero tech penalities. It was converted at year 1109, starting from Old Gods.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:43 pm »

My god westernising is hilarious. Events are constantly going on, eating up my points. Whenever I make any progress towards stability, an event takes away from me or...

My 6/6/5 ruler died. Cutting down the 1 stability I had regained. An average ruler was put on the throne, no biggie. Then I get an event. 33% +1 stab, 33% -2 stab, 33% ruler dies. Ruler dies. No valid heir, regency council. Same event comes a week later, kills the friggin regency council.

So right now I am gonna be sitting on a 0/0/0 regency council until a 3 year comes of age. I assume the regency council is also all 3 year old, and it has its own regency council.

Why does paradox hate me so much?

Also, extra from a RETREEEEAT!-ing boat from a bit earlier.
Spoiler: Warning, huge image (click to show/hide)

Note about westernizing, tooltips state that after it's over, I should get western units.

EDIT: An explanation for those who haven't tried it yet. If you have +3 stability and a core next to a western countries core, you can westernize. This instantly puts you in the western tech group and resets all your points to -100, and starts the process of westernizing.

Westernizing is done by having a bar that reaches up to 100. The way to increase this bar is to raise stability(-3 stab = -3, 3 stab = 3, don't remember if monthly or yearly). Along the way are many events, including random losses of points, lowered tax income, quitting merchants, change of religion, and other such things. It also causes a considerable amount of unrest and rebels. If the rebels win, they lower your westernization progress by 10.

If you survive the process, you should get western units and may now enjoy your non-ludicrous tech costs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:03:53 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »

I'm assuming that is a standard Aztec game? Not a SI import job? Because with a SI Aztec, I thought the "High American" tech group was considered equal to Westerners.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:35 pm »

Well, one thing I can tell from playing this is that France is absurdly stubborn.

-46 enthusiasm, 13 WE, 6 years of war, several occupied provinces, and a crushed army, and they are still fighting. They are now losing provinces to heretics. Seems like the AI still doesn't know when fighting is futile regardless of their size.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »

Well, one thing I can tell from playing this is that France is absurdly stubborn.

-46 enthusiasm, 13 WE, 6 years of war, several occupied provinces, and a crushed army, and they are still fighting. They are now losing provinces to heretics. Seems like the AI still doesn't know when fighting is futile regardless of their size.
Maybe the king is on a long holiday in Florence and hasn't bothered to check the news or read his mail. All his advisors are not bothering to tell him because "well... technically if we don't admit we've lost it doesn't count."

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »

Don't you just love France, I just saw them duke it out with Luxemburg in my game, they won because Luxemburg had so much war exhaustion and rebels.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »

Ok, so from what I can tell, coalitions are completely fucking broken.  Its possible I'm missing something and this is a rant about nothing, in which case... oops.  But I'm pretty sure about this.

If you attack someone in the coalition, the warcore is calculated as if all the coalition members were in an alliance against you.  However, you can't make peace on them separately... and you can't make demands of them, except the one you attacked.  You can't ask for them to cede provinces, return cores, annul treaties, ANYTHING.  As far as I can tell, any money you ask for will come from the main target.

This means that if you wanted to annex 4 one province nations, and they were all in a coalition against you along with France, you would have to beat France 4 times to annex each one province nation individually, and you could never make any demands of France, unless you chose to attack them directly, at which point you couldn't annex any of the smaller nations.  On top of that, those four tiny nations could hate France's guts, but they would still join the coalition and fight to the death together.

It also means that if you're in a coalition, you essentially get a free war with no risk of losing land, unless someone else is attacking you.  Seriously.  Your armies scattered, your bitter rival occupied every last inch of your land?  No biggy.  Since you aren't guilty of anything other than joining a coalition sworn to fight said rival unconditionally, they'll have to forgive you, and leave your lands without taking so much as a single gold coin.  *incoherent rage*
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:18 pm »

Ok, so from what I can tell, coalitions are completely fucking broken.  Its possible I'm missing something and this is a rant about nothing, in which case... oops.  But I'm pretty sure about this.

If you attack someone in the coalition, the warcore is calculated as if all the coalition members were in an alliance against you.  However, you can't make peace on them separately... and you can't make demands of them, except the one you attacked.  You can't ask for them to cede provinces, return cores, annul treaties, ANYTHING.  As far as I can tell, any money you ask for will come from the main target.

This means that if you wanted to annex 4 one province nations, and they were all in a coalition against you along with France, you would have to beat France 4 times to annex each one province nation individually, and you could never make any demands of France, unless you chose to attack them directly, at which point you couldn't annex any of the smaller nations.  On top of that, those four tiny nations could hate France's guts, but they would still join the coalition and fight to the death together.

It also means that if you're in a coalition, you essentially get a free war with no risk of losing land, unless someone else is attacking you.  Seriously.  Your armies scattered, your bitter rival occupied every last inch of your land?  No biggy.  Since you aren't guilty of anything other than joining a coalition sworn to fight said rival unconditionally, they'll have to forgive you, and leave your lands without taking so much as a single gold coin.  *incoherent rage*

How did coalitions function historically? Or its closet historic analog?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:46 pm »

Well... they would fight among each other. Be incredibly inefficient. Fail to achieve their purpose. And were generally a waste of time. With one or two exceptions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2013, 11:29:09 pm »

Well... they would fight among each other. Be incredibly inefficient. Fail to achieve their purpose. And were generally a waste of time. With one or two exceptions.

Pre-Han dynasty?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2013, 11:36:51 pm »

Glad to hear that Westernizing has apparently become even more catastrophic. Personally, I was always of the opinion that nations should be able to go down in tech level as well, should they suffer a crushing enough defeat (representing the long-term economic and social consequences of total defeat).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:47 am »

Pre-Han dynasty?
I was thinking the *seventh* (lol) coalition to fight Napoleon since that's the timeframe but that works too haha.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #313 on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:23 am »

Straight up catholic. Silliest damn event ever. Even the text was like "Since we are taking on western customs, we might as well convert too." Like you were going to the store to buy some groceries and decided to grab a box of cereal too. Didn't even convert a single province.

Historically, countries that Westernized were also being converted around the same time. Don't think of it like going to the store to buy some groceries and deciding to grab a box of cereal, think of it like going to the store to buy some groceries, and the entire time you're in the store there's a sermon going on over the PA system and the cashier hands you a free mini-bible on your way out and inside is a 15% off coupon for your return visit to the store.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:03 am »

...and they were all in a coalition against you along with France...

Thankfully, it's as likely, if not more likely that France itself will be the target of a large coalition.

At least, it's this way in my game. I'm going to need it if I want any chance of surviving next to that big blob of doom as Brittany. And even then, I'm not sure we can survive.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 216