Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451555 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2880 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:35 am »

There seriously needs to be some sort of recommendation in the OP. I feel like that question gets asked every 5-10 pages or so.

The only difference this would make is people would say 'read the OP' instead of providing answers.  The question will still keep on coming.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:19 am »

Gosh, AI became so bad since 1.18.4! It suddenly retreats when you try to save your ally's sorry butt, it can't concentrate on sieges, it doesn't help you! My Hungary run is FUBAR thanks to France (I was under PU with France. How I got PU'd? RNG happened, that's how) suddenly retreating on their own will. I wanted to give you chance to win this freaking fight, France! If Paradox will not return combat width (or give us new combat mechanics) in 1.20 patch, I'll start whining on their forums 'till they apologize and return combat width in the next hotfix/patch.

P.S Anyone noticed that France is kinda weak most of the time? The only time they were truly blobby is my Russian campaign.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: December 12, 2016, 02:30:40 pm »

I mentioned a bunch of pages back about a bullshit event that's either 'get a random heir or LOTSA MONEY but -3 diplo rep and some other thing for ten years.' Because your wife is super duper powerful and totes ruins your foreign affairs.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: December 13, 2016, 06:23:11 pm »

New dev diary is up introducing the new big feature for the next DLC, aaand it's effing nothing.
I still have some hope, though, that ages system could bring in some good things. Right now the game has this problem that gameplay is far too homogeneous and there really isn't anything new or interesting to see beyond the late 1600s, differentiated mechanics for different ages could perhaps make that a litttle better.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: December 13, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »

I think I'm pretty much done with EU4 now. The game has a serious problem where it doesn't feel like you're playing a country at all but just charging through small gamey objectives so you can snowball more and more. There's just no dynamism, everything is railroaded instead of being a reflection on how well you've managed your country/economy. The new era system serves as a perfect example of this design.

I might jump ship to MEIOU when 2.0 comes out. I'm hoping I can stand the bloat and performance hit for the institutions and population overhaul. Historical HRE borders might make me go blind though.
Here's a link to the video diaries if anyone hasn't seen them. Some good stuff right there.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:32 pm »

In the past I haven't liked M&T because of the many disparate changes causing bloat (same probably as vanilla's development really), but I think with the pop system and estates there'll be a solid unifying mechanic that'll allow everything to work well together.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: January 01, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »

Just got the game yesterday, started on it today. I'm trying to play as Castile in the 1444 start, but every time I declare war on Granada they call in their Ottoman Moroccan doomstack friends and wipe the floor with me. I've restarted a few times because I'm sure I've missed something stupidly fundamental.

Simply put, how do I beat the Granadans?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:11:55 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: January 01, 2017, 11:07:22 pm »

wait for ottomans to engage in another war

on the war declaration screen, if you hover over the check or cross next to a nation's name, it gives you a detailed breakdown of why a nation would or would not join in that war

being in debt, having high war exhaustion, and already being in a war are typical reasons why a nation would dishonour the call to arms

you could also try threatening war, it's not guaranteed, and not very efficient in terms of truce timers, but it can be an easy way to bully weaker neighbours, especially if you're focusing on expanding on another front

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: January 01, 2017, 11:13:38 pm »

Wait, I meant Morocco. Close enough :P

Thanks! The tutorial gave me the idea that it should be a piece of cake to take on Granada immediately.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: January 01, 2017, 11:51:12 pm »

ah, yeah, that makes a lot more sense, especially if it's happening every time

i was gonna say, i don't think i've ever seen granada ally ottomans, or ottomans become defender of the faith that early

the trick there, then, is blockades

with strait crossings, you can park your navy in that sea tile, blockading it, and preventing the moroccan troops from entering iberia and defending granada

then, once you've dealt with granada, you can move your armies (which should be larger and superior tbh) across the strait to deal with morocco

keep in mind tho that if someone controls both sides of a strait, they can ignore blockades and pass uninhibited, so (assuming you're allying portugal and bringing them into the war) you'll need to siege down gibraltar before the moroccans siege down ceuta

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 02, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »

Or you becoming the junior partner in a Personal Union with France, which has happened to me before.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:38 am »

Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:51 am »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 20, 2017, 09:16:26 am »

Oh my god. I'm torn between the two. Both are absolutely hilarious.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 216