Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 316

Author Topic: Terrible Jokes  (Read 661104 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Jokes
« Reply #2640 on: October 07, 2015, 03:25:31 pm »

Having read through this thread, I learned some things.

First, Latvians really love potatoes.  They just love them from afar.

Second, it's better to have five dead baby jokes show up in one part of the thread than to have the one dead baby joke show up in five parts of the thread.

Third, I suspect that the Russian jokes are actually funny and only become terrible when translated into English.

Fourth, do not follow any links in this thread.  They are either unsafe for work, or Rick Astley (which might also be unsafe depending on where you work).

Fifth, reading too much of this thread ensures you a ticket to Hell.

Sixth, it will also ruin your eyes. You're squinting because you're going to Hell.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: October 07, 2015, 03:53:33 pm »

I am always so weirded out by the Latvian potato jokes. I mean, I get Irish potato jokes, but the Latvian SSR (which I guess where those jokes are supposed to be set) always had one of the highest consumption levels per capita in the whole USSR. And during the Latvian Republic times before that, it didn't really lack for potato either, IIRC. Now, Latvia has plenty potato as well (even though it is all probably imported from their Euroverlords </joke>). As far as I can tell, there has never been a period in which Latvia had less potato than neighboring lands.

Are those jokes supposed to be Latvian as in told by Latvians, or Latvian as in about Latvians?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: October 07, 2015, 04:05:12 pm »

You see, Dirst, you speak about Russians on the net, there is a ~90% chance a Russian will appear and comment on your opinion.

I'll leave out the part where there is also a chance that there is a strong probability of another Russian emerging immediately after first one with a radically different opinion, and those two start a flamewar.[/joke]

I'm actually with Avis on this particular topic. I also don't get the Latvian potato jokes for the very same reasons.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: October 07, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »

I think it's a case of Eagleland geography skills: All that was needed was a funny-sounding sort-of-Russian place to tell jokes about.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: October 07, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »

Speaking as an American, I don't get the Latvia jokes either and the Wikipedia article offered no clues.

My best guess is that they're a sort of extension of "hee hee the commies are poor"-type jokes, adding Polandball English into the mix.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: October 07, 2015, 04:49:05 pm »

My best guess is that they're a sort of extension of "hee hee the commies are poor"-type jokes, adding Polandball English into the mix.

Well, let's leave it at that. Seems plausible.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: October 07, 2015, 06:22:02 pm »

What's the warmest organ in a dead baby?

My dick.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: October 07, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »

Sheb, no.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: October 07, 2015, 07:31:28 pm »

Want to hear something bad?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Totally terrible?

Horribly horrific?

Fully fucked-up?

The worst part?

The worsterest part?

Completely corrupt?

I used to have a coworker who was all about dead babies. And extreme sports. Not necessarily mutually exclusive interests, depending on how persuasive you are while in front of a jury of your peers.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: October 07, 2015, 07:51:21 pm »

Those were awesome terrible jokes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: October 07, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »

Latvian SSR (which I guess where those jokes are supposed to be set) always had one of the highest consumption levels per capita in the whole USSR. And during the Latvian Republic times before that, it didn't really lack for potato either, IIRC. Now, Latvia has plenty potato as well (even though it is all probably imported from their Euroverlords </joke>). As far as I can tell, there has never been a period in which Latvia had less potato than neighboring lands.
That's exactly right, good job. (except those sneaky Eestis hoarding 10% more potatoes </nojoke>) The way I figure this one is that the Latvians brought the Irish jokes back with them after going there to pick strawberries (again, nojoke- this is kind of a national problem) and added a bit of Soviet flavor to them, while, ironically, taking out the heavy drinking aspects.

In that spirit:
Latvian find potato and wonder: do I eat it? He try keep it for to make better. Potato doesn't ferment because is rock. Latvian can't forget horrible life.

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: October 08, 2015, 12:41:28 am »

Q.) Why did the racist chef not notice when he accidentally chopped his finger off?
A.) He was cutlery insensitive
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:16 am »

In that spirit
I see what you did there :D
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: October 08, 2015, 04:04:49 am »

Do i have to do wit the babies and the carb-on at the same time?

Wheeplash. Sorry, you make the ans wer.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile