Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69717 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 5 - Slap of Destiny
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 04:50:33 pm »

[Hovel occupant roll: 6-->5]

Idle curiosity, but what exactly does that mean? Is it a five, or a six? What causes it to have the arrow, and what determines the second number?

Exploding die. It goes a little bit like this:

I roll a six, so I roll again to determine whether what happens next is a critical success or an overshot, with 1-3 meaning overshot (a 1 having rather unfortunate consequences, a 3 having relatively mild consequences), 4-6 meaning critical success (with the number rolled determining severity). Similarly, if a 1 is rolled, this gets exploded as well, where 1-3 means complex, multi-layered failure that should be savored and remembered and 4-6 just means a slightly depressing failure.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »

Ask for directions to the Medokalaam Temple. Go there. Pray before I get within sight of it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 06:05:32 pm »

((AhahahaIcan'tstoplaughing
Honestly though, that turn was awesome.))
Gronok attempts to look solemn and awesome.
"That, friend, was just a smidgen of the power that Mo'kar possesses. He knows all, young one, and he wishes to speed us on our enlightenment - presumably for good conversation - and he has the power to do so. So come and join me. When word of Mo'kar spreads, as it rightfully should, the faithful will flock to my side, and together we will advance beyond what we can even dream. So will you not come with me?"
Gronok uses Inspiring Speech!
The Speech's power is boosted by his +1 charisma!
(hopefully) Success! The bandits have been converted!

No seriously though, I forsee great fun with this. Feel free to substitute my crappy conversion speech with a better one should the urge take you, GM.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:51:35 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 07:15:58 am »

Shashari perked up immediately at the sound. She wanted to be able to sing like that!

Striding purposefully up to the door, she gave a few loud raps before calling in. "Hello? Me and my ram need shelter and love your singing! Could you teach me how to sing like you do?"

Knock, request shelter and singing lessons.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:20 am »

((Are the aspects we gave our gods shared, so everyone benefits/suffers from all of the likes/dislikes/traits? I'm guessing yes from Gronok getting +1MP from a show of power, which was my Lady's thing. Shame none of the traits openly conflict, that would be interesting.))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:43 am »

((Are the aspects we gave our gods shared, so everyone benefits/suffers from all of the likes/dislikes/traits? I'm guessing yes from Gronok getting +1MP from a show of power, which was my Lady's thing. Shame none of the traits openly conflict, that would be interesting.))

If they conflict, they only appear for the particular prophets that chose them and don't really show for the rest or at best appear inconsistently. If they coincide, the trait becomes stronger and shows more often in the god's holy quests. But otherwise everything is shared across prophets, though naturally the prophet's choices are the most prevalent.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 05:07:11 pm »

Elizas grinned and clasped his hands together.

"Very well, let's head on over to your friend's home!"

Continue onwards.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 6 - The Siren of the Woods
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2013, 02:30:21 pm »

Turn 6 - The Siren of the Woods

Phiali is about to head down to the Kezilamite temple, but he realizes that he doesn't know where the place actually is, so he chooses to ask for directions.

"Where's the Medokalaam Temple, if I may ask?"

"Three hours of walking to the west. In a valley, you can't miss it. Now go."

Phiali does so immediately, seeing no point in waiting around. After all, the sooner he deals with these Kezilamites, the sooner he can enjoy the positive benefits of having a backwoods cult following his god's teachings and hopefully gain great favor in his god's eyes. After walking westward for two and a half hours, he gets the sudden urge to say his prayers for some reason. Not seeing any point in fighting said urge (it might save his soul one day, after all), he performs his water-prayer in the relatively peaceful woods, then proceeds on his way. Considering that he only got up in the early evening due to his great filibuster back at the camp, it's already beginning to get dark by the time he reaches the temple.

The sight of the temple is an unusual one, as it sticks out from the forest like a sore thumb with its monumental spires reaching off into the heavens and light marble pillars supporting a roof covered in golden plates. The Kezilamites must be quite rich to be able to afford building something like this in the middle of the woods.

[Perception roll: ?]

The windows are a bit too high to reach from where he is, but there is a huge wooden gate leading inside the temple. Six people in long, flowing white robes are standing in front of it, looking rather intense and watchful.

Having slapped his way to what he thinks is a somewhat decisive victory, Gronok tries to look solemn, but impressive at the same time.

[Charisma roll: 1+1-->3]

He only manages to look very smug and cheeky, not being all that good of an actor. He then tries to smugly deliver a speech to convert these foul heathens and make them the first disciples of Mo'kar the Teacher, the new deity that's sure to be sweeping the nation in no time.

[Conversion roll: 4+1-1]

"That, friend, was just a smidgen of the power that Mo'kar possesses. He knows all, young one, and he wishes to speed us on our enlightenment - presumably for good conversation - and he has the power to do so. So come and join me. When word of Mo'kar spreads, as it rightfully should, the faithful will flock to my side, and together we will advance beyond what we can even dream. So will you not come with me?"

The boy stares at him vacantly for a bit, then asks a question.

"Wait, so you're not the Master Assassin in service of that... uh... that king person?"

"Uh... I retired? You can't be a Master Assassin forever, you know. Besides, I have a god to serve. That's more important."

"So you can slap people around like that because you serve this god fella?"

"Yep."

"Could I slap people around like that if I served this god fella?"

"Maybe? Depends on how "in" you are with Mo'kar. Becoming one of His first disciples would be a good start, I believe."

""Well, I'm sold on that idea. What about you guys?"

"I dunno, sounds suspicious. What if Kezilamites hunt us down?"

"We slap 'em around like the old guy here slapped Azikim around."

"Well, can't argue with that. Would be pretty fun."

The last bandit nods in agreement with the other two, but does not speak. Looks like Gronok has his first converts! Well, they might be in it for the divine power, but at least they're actually in.

"Should we drag Azikim along?"

[Azikim endurance roll: 3]

Azikim suddenly howls in pain and rolls around on the ground. Must be the stiff wind that just started blowing. He seems to be getting up.

"Nobody's dragging me anywhere! I'm going to kill this old bastard and I'm going to kill him now!"

He stands unsteadily and looks at Gronok hatefully, his face bloodied and lacerated to the point of unrecognizability. He looks somewhat angry, to say the least.

Upon hearing the beautiful siren song emanating from the filthy hovel, Shashari decides that whatever's inside probably can't harm him. Nothing bad could sing that well! She strolls up to the door and knocks a few times.

"Hello? Me and my ram need shelter! And we love your singing! Could you teach me to sing like you do?"

The singing stops. There is the sound of hurried footsteps, then the door opens to reveal, interestingly enough, a man. Though he seems to be quite young, he seems to have a beard beyond his years, stretching all the way down to his chest. His hair is similarly long, and there is a haggard look about him that almost successfully masks the fact that he may have been rather attractive before moving to a hovel deep in the woods. The strangeness of the situation is magnified when he speaks - the voice that was singing was undeniably his, and it lacks any hint of its owner's male nature.

"Oh, a girl alone in the woods! How horrible! Come right in, girl! The dark woods are no place to be for a proper young woman!"

He pulls Shashari inside and shuts the door behind him tightly.

"There are witches about, you know. No place for a young lady like yourself, no way. So, what were you saying out there? I'm afraid I only heard the knocking."

[Shashari shock roll: 1-->1]

Shashari merely stares at him. She stares at the man in complete shock and confusion.

"Please ,don't stare. I can't help my voice. It is what I have always sounded like, I'm afraid."

She merely keeps staring unblinkingly.

"Please, stop. Stop now."

Shashari fails to stop doing so, though not really of her own volition. This is quite a lot for a sheltered girl like herself to take in all at once, after all. She needs some time to process this. After a few moments, the man begins to look self-conscious, which then transforms into great anxiety, culminating in the man making a rapid escape to one of the corners of the hovel, disappearing between two odd bits of furniture.

Liking the prospect of sampling somebody's wine collection, Elizas opts to follow the merchant to his friend Patalim's establishment.

"Very well, let's head on over to your friend's home!"

"We should. It is about to get dark."

As they proceed through the streets, the sun is indeed well on its way down. It has almost set by the time they reach... a locked door. The merchant gets off the cart and knocks. It doesn't open. He knocks again. And again. And again. Still nothing.

While the merchant is knocking ever more fiercely, Elizas finds himself looking at the front of the locked building. As he draws perilously close to finishing the bottle of amazing wine, his attention is drawn to a board on one of the windows. It bears an interesting message:

Den of Debauchery closed by order of King Hazamor.
Glory to Kezilam!

Elizas gets the feeling this Kezilam person is not very fond of fun, at least not the kind he prefers.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »

"Azikim, was it? You look a smart man; surely you're not going to turn down the potential I represent, are you? Because really, how many of your victims have anything of value on them? How many are armed? How many visitors do you even get? We're in some random patch of desert that it took me at least 2 hours to stumble upon, and you gain nothing by killing me. Join me, however, and I can offer you much more.
What was the name of the reigning cult? Whatever - anyhow, the only reason that they rule is that no one knows any other worship in Tezelom, at least not one as widespread as them. But they lack power - we do not; you are evidence of that. What we must do is simply let them know of Mo'kar's power, convince them of it's veracity, and ...
Have you ever lead a revolution? Think of it. You could go from being some bandit in the desert to being a leader of the people - a prophet of the New God! Your name could be forever remembered as one who changed the course of history itself.
What do you say?"

If he refuses, kick him in the nuts, take his knife and tell my converts to tie him up or at least bring him along to convert later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:34:36 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:04 pm »

"I'm sorry!" Shashari said apologetically, "I'm just not used to... well, anything. I just recently left home, I didn't mean to stare.

But, you really do look rather odd, don't you? Like a really young hermit, hah... um, might I ask why you're living all alone out here? It must be rather rough, and you're such a good singer..."

Apologize and inquire about hermit status.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:57 pm »

Well. This is where it gets tough. They've got six guards, plus everyone inside. I may have the might of my God behind me, but I'm a pacifist. Hence, I'm going to take a bit of a...less conventional method of defeating them.

Go towards the front gate and greet the six men there. No way they can have a kill-on-sight policy, right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:35 am »

((Err, sorry for not posting for last turn. I didn't realize how long I was taking.))

---

Sejena studied the wretch before her for a moment. She almost felt ashamed of her effect on the man. Almost.

'Get up,' she said. 'If you keep to the faith, you will rise far yet. Now... you will tell me how you access the palace and deal with the guards' bribes. I will also require a safe place to sleep for tonight - I would not wish to intrude upon your home, especially with your father present.'

She softened her tone. 'But first... I will tell you what I know of the Lady.'

Tell Satjap all about Aulanna, the Bloody-Red Lady, Mistress of War, Chain-breaker. Command him to find a place for Sejanna to sleep in.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 7 - A Proper Reception
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »

Turn 7 - A Proper Reception

Faced with a very aggressive Azikim once again, Gronok once again opens the unending floodgate of words that is his mouth and tries to talk some sense into the fellow.

[Charisma roll: 4+1]

"Azikim, was it? You look a smart man; surely you're not going to turn down the potential I represent, are you? Because really, how many of your victims have anything of value on them? How many are armed? How many visitors do you even get? We're in some random patch of desert that it took me at least 2 hours to stumble upon, and you gain nothing by killing me. Join me, however, and I can offer you much more."

"Oh, you can offer me so much, obviously. Look at you. You're an old man who slaps people! What could you possibly offer me?"

Gronok pays him no mind and continues his speech.

"What was the name of the reigning cult? Whatever - anyhow, the only reason that they rule is that no one knows any other worship in Tezelom, at least not one as widespread as them. But they lack power - we do not; you are evidence of that. What we must do is simply let them know of Mo'kar's power, convince them of it's veracity, and ... Have you ever lead a revolution?"

"What?"

"Think of it. You could go from being some bandit in the desert to being a leader of the people - a prophet of the New God! Your name could be forever remembered as one who changed the course of history itself. What do you say?"

[Azikim reaction roll: 5+1]

He stands for a few moments, lost in thought. He lowers his dagger and scratches his chin, then winces in pain as he accidentally sticks his finger in a bleeding bit.

"I will go with you. For now. But I reserve the right to be the one to kill you if things go wrong."

"You got it, chief!"

"Yeah, chief. You'll even get to choose the method of execution."

Something about this makes Gronok highly uneasy. Being pressured is never fun, after all.

As Shashari snaps out of her shocked state, she peers over to the corner the man disappeared in. She then apologizes at it, hoping to catch the ear of the poor fellow.

[Apology roll: 3+1]

"I'm sorry! I'm just not used to... well, anything. I just recently left home, I didn't mean to stare."

"Nobody ever does. They always just look at me and say nothing, then stare, and I feel ashamed of my voice and my looks and... and... everything! How is a man to live like this, sounding like a woman! I was the laughingstock of my home ever since I became a man! Called me the Bearded Lady, they did!"

"But, you really do look rather odd, don't you? Like a really young hermit, hah... um, might I ask why you're living all alone out here? It must be rather rough, and you're such a good singer..."

"I am a hermit, and I'm living all alone here because society will not accept me as I am, at least not in my village. There are witches about in this area, yes, but at least they leave me alone for the most part, unlike other people. Unlike you. I sing to keep myself sane in this lonely existence, and it really helps. It's something to help pass the time between hunting and water-gathering trips."

A hand emerges from between the rather poor furnishings and points to one of the corners. Some straw seems to be laid out there.

"You may sleep there, if you wish. I will remain here to spare your ever-so-delicate eyes and my far more delicate pride."

With six guards ahead and no good way to bypass them, Phiali decides to just try the direct approach and speak to the men. He calmly proceeds toward the first gate and tries to appear as non-threatening as possible.

[Guard visitor policy roll: 1-->1]

He waves to the guards in a friendly manner. The guards reply by drawing wicked-looking blades from their robes and raising them high up in the air.

"He treads on holy ground! Slay him immediately!" one of them yells! The other guards seem to like this plan quite a bit. They proceed to shout in unison and charge at Phiali.

"GLORY TO KEZILAM!"

They must not get a lot of visitors, Phiali figures.

Seeing Satjap grovel before her does Sejena's heart some good, though it is getting a bit too pathetic at this point.

"Get up, if you keep to the faith, you will rise far yet. Now... you will tell me how you access the palace and deal with the guards' bribes. I will also require a safe place to sleep for tonight - I would not wish to intrude upon your home, especially with your father present."

Satjap gets up and stands completely still, then answers stiffly.

"Find Naphizim of Vipuka, he will arrange things. All of them. Guards, living quarters, everything. Tell him I sent you. Tell him I will pay for you as well."

A simple answer to a seemingly complex problem. Interesting.

"Very well then, I shall depart soon. But first... I will tell you what I know of the Lady."

"Whatever you say!"

Sejena then informs the hopelessly frightened Satjap of who this god she serves is, how she prefers to conduct her business and how serving is quite possibly the most important thing Satjap will be asked to do his entire life.

[Conversion roll: 5+1+1]

"Sounds like a very good goddess, yes. Very good goddess indeed. Better than Kezilam, assuredly. Will worship her immediately if you want me to. Now, please, could you... uh... leave? Please?"

Though he appears to have understood everything Sejena said, his eyes still have a look of pure fear in them. It seems that Sejena's presence might be causing him actual physical discomfort.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:01:32 pm by Harry Baldman »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »

Oh. Uh......

Elizas asks the merchant if there is another safe haven for them to travel to.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

Are there farms in the temple or something?

Pray for a miracle to strike these violent heathens down.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60