Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69946 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 64 - A Prophet's Pastime
« Reply #630 on: June 23, 2013, 03:28:55 pm »

Shashari let out an exasperated groan. Great. Just great. Someday she was gonna shove him down a hole and see how he liked it.

Speaking of which... was there actually a relic in here? Seemed like a strange place for it...

Wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark. Crawl forward to get out of the light if that'll help with that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »

"Alright. Here you go."

Give her the bucket.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:02 pm »

"Heretic guard!" shouted Lars.  "Throw down your weapons and surrender, or face doom!  The power of the One True God is behind us!  Your false Kezilam cannot save you!"

Order the guard to surrender.  Failing that, kill him with the group.  Storm the Armory.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:48 pm »

Elizas hits the streets, looking for someplace open to spend his hard earned cash.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 26, 2013, 03:56:23 am »

[To assuage the GM, I am working on a post, but I got caught up in creating a creation myth that makes sense. I'm essentially writing the book of Genesis. So it may take a day or two for me to write it up.]
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:33 am »

To clarify: The whole book of Genesis, or just the first chapter and a half or so?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 26, 2013, 02:25:30 pm »

To clarify: The whole book of Genesis, or just the first chapter and a half or so?
Which bit is where the world is created and organized and stuff?
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:45 pm »

Creation is darn near entirely contained within the First Chapter of Genesis.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »

Mine might be a tad longer.
Sig! Onol

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 26, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »

Well if you are talking about how humans were created, that is chapter 2.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 26, 2013, 05:07:47 pm »

Well if you are talking about how humans were created, that is chapter 2.
Humanity, sure. Pretty sure Adam was in the First Chapter.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 28, 2013, 02:33:48 am »

Ah, so you wish to know about God, do you? Well, best sit yourselves down, for the tale is long in the telling.
While neither I nor any mortal can claim to know the true extent of God, we do know that He - or She - created the world, and all others. This is the basic truth that everyone knows, but there are details that are left out for the sake of translation. These details are what I reveal to you now.

In the very beginning, there was nothing. Absolutely nothing anywhere at all. But the very nature of nothing counteracted itself and before the nothing was conceptualized as anything, God was there. And God was everything there was.

Because time had not been invented yet, God floated - or the equivalent of floating, as floating did not exist - for an eternity in pure nothing. But eventually God's mind became bored with reflecting only God unto God, and desired to know something other than itself. So God willed something else to be, and the nothing was thrown back to create void. And the void was endless, but for God at it's center.

God loved the void. It was something new, it had substance, an analyzable property - three, no, four - more, where there where previously none! He analyzed its length and found it to be endless, and when She looked at its width and height, they too were endless. It wandered the void for ages beyond counting until God had explored every iota of it. And with full knowledge came boredom, for God now knew all, and with nothing new to learn, nothing new to figure out, God was bored once again.

There was naught else but God and void, and thus God willed substance to be, and in the process created all the concepts that come with substance of any sort -weight and all its derivatives, texture, color, reactions, solidity, permeability, and hundreds upon hundreds of other things. All were manifested in this thing that God willed to be - Time, Space, Attraction, Death, Life; all contained within a perfect sphere containing everything that exists today, whether it be rock, wind, water, war, love, birth, or death. And God looked into the Eternal Sphere, and saw everything there is, was, and shall be.

As with the last, God eventually knew every facet of everything He gazed upon. He knew all language, all permutation of the mating dance of the octopus tree of Glarnakitch, everything there was, but one thing.
He never saw anything be created. He had willed these things into existence, and they were existant by that measure, but She had never seen anything interact. Never seen anything created by the combination of two things. So with a force of will, He shattered the Eternal Sphere, and let everything within it pour out.

It was chaos. Everything clashing all at once! The sun scorched all too near it to ash, the wind took those ashes and blew them willy-nilly all across the tumbling things of creation, all out of place! But God did not intervene, for She had never seen anything interacting or combining as these had, so He watched and waited. Men tumbled and died in the void, great swooping hordes of locusts consumed all in their path, and eventually all was made dust. Eventually even the sun itself failed and died, and all the wonderful things that God had created were consumed again by the void. And for the first time, God was left unknowing.

The chaos had taught Him much, but it was all ended too soon, and God wished to see it happen again, but She knew that if He were to create another Infinite Sphere, the same result would occur, and God did not wish for that, for He had divined a most interesting possible future inside the Sphere - there would be Others. Others who would create in turn, and Their creations would in turn arise and spawn more creations, in an endless cycle of genesis, granting God the one thing She had desired since He became self aware - the possibility to always be learning. For that was why God continued to create, even seemingly pointless things - if He did not know what it was when it was created, then He could learn about it and what it was! And that was the sensation that God treasured above anything. And within the mysteries of infinity She had seen a way to make that wonderful future happen.

God took hold of the ashes that remained from the previous catastrophe and shaped them into a perfect ball. She saw how, despite it's geometrical perfectess, it was cold and dead, and He took a tiny, miniscule fragment of His infinite self and imbued the Earth with it to give it life. As God's spirit fused with the ground, it lit up as if in some great joy, and the thoughts that God had channeled into that fragment grew and grew and became the first life. Not even I know how this first being looked or what it did, but it is known that eventually it split into many different creatures after God placed the blanket over the sky to shield it from Her brilliance. Those thoughts that made up the first creature and were split up, one for each subsequent creature, multiplied as the creatures did, and eventually the world evened itself out to be as it is right now.

Gronok grins.

That is the ultimate truth - all that we are, everything that we ever do, say, or think - that which we call our soul - is but one thought of God. Everything in this world, from the smallest pebble to the mightiest wind, is but an expression of a thought of God. And that is why I worship God not under any particular name, be it Kezilam, Mo'kar, Hewantok, or any number of sacred syllables, but the true purpose that He made us for - She wishes us to become a God.

He has repeated the process He performed to create our world many times, and even now waits, hoping beyond hope that one of the myriads of worlds might finally yield its intended result - another like Her, that She may watch while It - or perhaps They, for perhaps multiple worlds will yeild a God - go through the cycle of initial creation, boredom, enlightenment, and world creation to spawn yet another generation of Gods, that He may examine their creations, and learn forever.

Gronok pauses for breath.

So, what do you think?

Explain creation mythos. Hopefully convert listeners.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Turn 65 - The World Begins, The Bucketquest Ends

Shashari groans at the current, rather unfortunate state of events. She steps out of the light and lets her eyes adjust to the dark. After a short while, this does indeed happen, at which point she realizes that this is some kind of cave, though almost certainly not naturally formed. Too regular, she thinks.

There are four tunnels around her. One seems to lead... north, she guesses. In a north-like direction. At least she assumes that. Another leads west, going by the same logic. One leads east. And a final one leads south. She appears to have a lot of options here. She could go in either of those directions or she can stay here next to... a garbage pile of some kind, looks like. Or she could try to climb out, though she does have the oddest feeling about that. Almost like this dark, dank two-bit dungeon joint is where she needs to be for some reason.

Phiali, after a dramatic pause, hands Azha the copper receptacle of water.

"Alright. Here you go."

Azha takes the bucket and sets it down next to herself, taking a handful and washing her face with it. This slightly diminishes her sense of dustiness.

"A reasonably good job. Any thoughts? Or questions?"

Hm. Phiali gets a sense that he's done something right here, but also can't help but wonder if there's some way he could have done it better. As in, without giving up his only treasure of note.

Lars, ever the fair one, gives the guard the standard option. What kind of prophet would he be if he didn't?

"Heretic guard!" he shouts with utter conviction. "Throw down your weapons and surrender, or face doom! The power of the One True God is behind us! Your false Kezilam cannot save you!"

"Okay, okay," the guard says, calmly placing his weapon on the ground. "No need to shout like that, you know. I mean, I could yell for the guys in the reliquary to come over or heck, the priest and his entourage in the armory, but I don't suppose that would end well for me, would it? You'd burn me at the very least, and I, as a Kezilamite, have firsthand experience on how bloody painful that'd be."

He steps over to the group.

"So, what's this True God like, anyway?"

However, the people are too busy storming the armory to answer his question! However, the door is extremely locked. And reinforced. And made of metal. The rather cooperative guard pitches in once more.

"I could open that with the key I've got, I'm pretty sure. But you really don't want to go in there, guys. There's a bunch of people in there. Three guys, real elite-like people, and a priest. And these guys get crazy around priests, let me tell you."

Elizas decides to hit the streets of Berikalam, hoping to find a place to spend his precious time and money. Fortunately, such a place does indeed exist - the Ezitiim Oasis, a rather well-furnished and not too expensive inn not too far from Elizas' workplace! It's not overly populated, and what little clientele he can see at this hour look like the rather friendly sort, strangely enough.

The innkeeper, a fairly attractive woman in her mid-thirties, greets him when he enters, smiling at him politely.

"Welcome to the Ezitiim Oasis, stranger. Rooms are 2 tezerams a night for the common room, 7 tezerams a night for a private room."

Gronok, having spent a moment to think about this latest conundrum, lays out the tale of the world's genesis.

"Ah, so you wish to know about God, do you? Well, best sit yourselves down, for the tale is long in the telling.
While neither I nor any mortal can claim to know the true extent of God, we do know that He - or She - created the world, and all others. This is the basic truth that everyone knows, but there are details that are left out for the sake of translation. These details are what I reveal to you now."

The listeners lean in.

"In the very beginning, there was nothing. Absolutely nothing anywhere at all. But the very nature of nothing counteracted itself and before the nothing was conceptualized as anything, God was there. And God was everything there was."

"Because time had not been invented yet, God floated - or the equivalent of floating, as floating did not exist - for an eternity in pure nothing. But eventually God's mind became bored with reflecting only God unto God, and desired to know something other than itself. So God willed something else to be, and the nothing was thrown back to create void. And the void was endless, but for God at it's center."

"God loved the void. It was something new, it had substance, an analyzable property - three, no, four - more, where there where previously none! He analyzed its length and found it to be endless, and when She looked at its width and height, they too were endless. It wandered the void for ages beyond counting until God had explored every iota of it. And with full knowledge came boredom, for God now knew all, and with nothing new to learn, nothing new to figure out, God was bored once again."

"There was naught else but God and void, and thus God willed substance to be, and in the process created all the concepts that come with substance of any sort -weight and all its derivatives, texture, color, reactions, solidity, permeability, and hundreds upon hundreds of other things. All were manifested in this thing that God willed to be - Time, Space, Attraction, Death, Life; all contained within a perfect sphere containing everything that exists today, whether it be rock, wind, water, war, love, birth, or death. And God looked into the Eternal Sphere, and saw everything there is, was, and shall be."

"As with the last, God eventually knew every facet of everything He gazed upon. He knew all language, all permutation of the mating dance of the octopus tree of Glarnakitch, everything there was, but one thing. He never saw anything be created. He had willed these things into existence, and they were existant by that measure, but She had never seen anything interact. Never seen anything created by the combination of two things. So with a force of will, He shattered the Eternal Sphere, and let everything within it pour out."

"It was chaos. Everything clashing all at once! The sun scorched all too near it to ash, the wind took those ashes and blew them willy-nilly all across the tumbling things of creation, all out of place! But God did not intervene, for She had never seen anything interacting or combining as these had, so He watched and waited. Men tumbled and died in the void, great swooping hordes of locusts consumed all in their path, and eventually all was made dust. Eventually even the sun itself failed and died, and all the wonderful things that God had created were consumed again by the void. And for the first time, God was left unknowing."

"The chaos had taught Him much, but it was all ended too soon, and God wished to see it happen again, but She knew that if He were to create another Infinite Sphere, the same result would occur, and God did not wish for that, for He had divined a most interesting possible future inside the Sphere - there would be Others. Others who would create in turn, and Their creations would in turn arise and spawn more creations, in an endless cycle of genesis, granting God the one thing She had desired since He became self aware - the possibility to always be learning. For that was why God continued to create, even seemingly pointless things - if He did not know what it was when it was created, then He could learn about it and what it was! And that was the sensation that God treasured above anything. And within the mysteries of infinity She had seen a way to make that wonderful future happen."

"God took hold of the ashes that remained from the previous catastrophe and shaped them into a perfect ball. She saw how, despite it's geometrical perfectess, it was cold and dead, and He took a tiny, miniscule fragment of His infinite self and imbued the Earth with it to give it life. As God's spirit fused with the ground, it lit up as if in some great joy, and the thoughts that God had channeled into that fragment grew and grew and became the first life. Not even I know how this first being looked or what it did, but it is known that eventually it split into many different creatures after God placed the blanket over the sky to shield it from Her brilliance. Those thoughts that made up the first creature and were split up, one for each subsequent creature, multiplied as the creatures did, and eventually the world evened itself out to be as it is right now."

As the listeners look at Gronok, their mouths agape, the prophet grins.

"That is the ultimate truth - all that we are, everything that we ever do, say, or think - that which we call our soul - is but one thought of God. Everything in this world, from the smallest pebble to the mightiest wind, is but an expression of a thought of God. And that is why I worship God not under any particular name, be it Kezilam, Mo'kar, Hewantok, or any number of sacred syllables, but the true purpose that He made us for - She wishes us to become a God."

"He has repeated the process He performed to create our world many times, and even now waits, hoping beyond hope that one of the myriads of worlds might finally yield its intended result - another like Her, that She may watch while It - or perhaps They, for perhaps multiple worlds will yield a God - go through the cycle of initial creation, boredom, enlightenment, and world creation to spawn yet another generation of Gods, that He may examine their creations, and learn forever."

Gronok pauses, taking a deep breath, having had his say.

"So, what do you think?"

"You have very interesting thoughts, old man, and your story, though doubtlessly outlandish, has a ring of truth to it."

"So we'll eventually get bored and curious enough to create worlds of our own? And then we'll be gods?"

"Yes, imagine that! But still, doesn't sound entirely improbable for some reason. We already shape our own world. Creation is only a few steps away from that."

They then resume their discussions, most of them expressing approval of Gronok's story, when one of them turns back to Gronok.

"Say, old man, how would you like to come and stay at my home? I am eager to hear more, as are my friends and, I suspect, others as well."

People enlightened! 1 MP gained!
Successful conversion! 1 MP gained!

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:45:21 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Post here later, but I just realized something.
When I ate the berries, Mo'kar had the voice of Onon. After we woke up, I was too hungover to move, but he apparently shook off the effect of what was described as quite a lot of LSD berries without any trouble at all, dragged me to the city, which I'm approximating was a mile or so away, and got through the gate of a Kelamazite city, mentioning Mo'kar, and apparently the guard was a follower. Unbelievable acts in itself, but when you combine it with the fact that he's been locked in a cell for 'well over 20 years', was the only one to follow me and not the strongman, and all that malnutrition can't have helped him, I think I may actually have me own god in disguise as an apostle.
Also, I think I have to kill Satjap.))

Gronok grins.
I thank you for your generosity! If I may, I will accept, so long as my companion may accompany me.
He gestures to Onon as he does so.
Accept house offer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:14:32 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Phiali has lived for years without any sort of riches; he's confident he can do so again. He's mostly glad he finished this annoying Quest for Water. He thinks for a moment, trying to remember what he said to Azha when he took this quest.
"Is there anything you want or need?"
Oh, right. Not much there. Well, he had brought her water; maybe she'll listen to him?

"Would you like to listen to a story?"

((Just finished reading the Creation Story a bit ago. Impressive.))
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:25:29 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 60