Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515044 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Secret Service Fails To Collateral Damage Crowd For Prez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3615 on: December 18, 2015, 10:23:55 am »

Does Poland normally get to choose who is the head of the NATO centre in Warsaw?

The new rightwing Polish government has used military force to remove the head of a NATO centre in Warsow, and replaced him with a friend of the political party.

what.

what is that move even supposed to do?

Read the previous part, the Polish PM has been filling in positions with party loyalists. Which smacks of corruption really.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Secret Service Fails To Collateral Damage Crowd For Prez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3616 on: December 18, 2015, 10:25:23 am »

Yeah, they also fired the head of the anti-corruption unit that was formed by the previous government. I guess he found out some things that they didn't want him to officially report :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: December 18, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

This could mean Poland getting kicked out of NATO.

If they don't kick Turkey out of NATO for instigating the Russians they aren't going to kick Poland out of NATO.  Not that NATO is doing a whole lot of good these days, anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: December 18, 2015, 10:34:50 am »

This could mean Poland getting kicked out of NATO.

If they don't kick Turkey out of NATO for instigating the Russians they aren't going to kick Poland out of NATO.  Not that NATO is doing a whole lot of good these days, anyway.

Why would they kick Turkey out for defending their airspace? Yes, it was a dick move, but it's not a comparable situation.

Also, my question asking whether Poland usually gets to choose who is the head of the NATO centre in Warsaw didn't get answered, I don't think.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:36:39 am by smjjames »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: December 18, 2015, 11:14:12 am »

Sicily is not a nation, no... And I was thinking of modern Western Europe, to be honest :P

Else we might as well include Mussolini, the Russian Tsar, maybe Stalin...

Stalin died of a heart attack, not assassinated, and I am looking at post WWII.

So he was assassinated by entropy? Poor personal habits may have also participated in the daring act.
Aye.  His habit of arresting and/or killing anyone who looked at him funny, including some hundreds of doctors in the months before his death (on charges of conspiracy to assassinate Soviet leaders, no less), meant that no one was willing to risk arrest and execution in order to check on him when he did not come out of his room at dawn as was his usual wont.  The only person to dare did so only in the late evening, after which he had likely been suffering the aftereffects of a stroke and internal hemorrhaging for at least 12-18 hours.
Well.. we're talking about a 74 year/old man living in the fifties. Of course, we don't know how bad it was, but  even today an intracerebral hemorrhage is pretty bad, and back then they were not exactly swimming in modern medical technology. Most likely he would not have recovered from it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:19:23 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: December 18, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »

FYI, it technically wasn't a NATO installation, and NATO has said that it's an internal Polish matter.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Far Western Russia Fake Insults NATO Or Something [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3621 on: December 20, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »

FYI, it technically wasn't a NATO installation, and NATO has said that it's an internal Polish matter.

Oh, so Poland does get to choose it's NATO guy?

Also, huhwhat Dennmark? http://www.politico.eu/article/denmark-wants-to-seize-refugees-valuables-crisis/

and

http://www.politico.eu/article/danish-mep-quits-party-over-refugee-confiscation-plan/

Contraband stuff like drugs I can get, but wanting to confiscate valuables other than stuff needed for a modest standard of living like cell phones (though I'm under the impression that most of the refugees are pretty poor) or sentimential items? Really? Pretty sure the US doesn't do that kind of thing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: December 20, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »

(though I'm under the impression that most of the refugees are pretty poor)

Seeing how just paying a smuggler to get you drowned costs around 5000 euros per person, you can be sure that most immigrants that make it to Europe do not come from the 'poor' class. They were at least middle class, if not rich, to be able to afford to get to Europe in the first place.
We don't get the real poor immigrants in Europe. Those are either stuck in Turkish / Jordan refugee camps, or are being killed and raped by whichever militia finds them first.

That being said, well, I suppose it's possible that a lot of those former middle class refugees spent their last financial means on the journey, so yeah, I guess those would be the 'nouveaux pauvres' now.

This Danish idea though, sounds rather harsh. Now if someone arrives with two suitcases full of bar gold, I'd say sure, confiscate most of it, to contribute to the Danish welfare system. But taking people's family heirloom rings and iPods? That's inhumane. Might just as well pull their golden teeth while you're at it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: December 20, 2015, 08:55:50 pm »

So the Spanish election is over. Results.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: December 20, 2015, 09:33:37 pm »

Too complicated; didn't get past the graphic.

Not too complicated for the semicolon, though
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:09:44 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: December 20, 2015, 09:38:38 pm »

So the Spanish election is over. Results.

Lol at the "death to the system" party when they're trying to get into the system....

Also... *is jealous of the successful multi (as in more than two) party system going on there*

Too complicated, didn't get past the graphic.

That's because we're used to having just a two party system where it would be two colors, with maybe one or two of some other color.

Edit: The congress of deputies is their version of the House of Representatives. Edit2: Actually, no, it's their parliament, though it sort of sounds like a mixture between a parliamentary system and our system.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:44:52 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: December 20, 2015, 09:46:11 pm »

Basically, the most popular center-right and center-left parties had a simultaneous disintegration into two separate anti-corruption revolt parties, one left-populist and the other liberal democratic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: December 21, 2015, 06:17:38 am »

In other words, stuff is happening, emigration and immigration is happening, Spain is punched in the face and Poland gets rekt by Poland. Standard stuff, really.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Spain/Poland Fics For Days [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3628 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:10 am »

Today is the birthday of Stalin, the leader who has came to power in Russia backwards, defeated, half-destroyed and having gone through chaos of civil war, and left with Russia industrialized, victorious and rebuilt.

While he certainly has done a lot of bad things to Russia (the chief among them was the overfocus of the system on himself, which caused USSR to catastrophically self-destruct within a single generation after his death), but he's still a symbol of progress from the ashes among Russians, and even now, despite all the anti-Stalinist propaganda of the government and opposition during the last 25 years, people still remember the almost-legendary time when their country was rocketing forward into the future at a breakneck pace, despite everything and everyone else.

Discuss.
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spain/Poland Fics For Days. Now With Tankies. [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3629 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:37 am »

Stalin is objectively one of the worst people in history, and his continued veneration by segments of the Russian populace is disquieting.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 341