Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122790 times)

mndfreeze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_23 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #2130 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:24 am »

I second some way of knowing info about the mod from the list in your GUI.  I just installed 23 this last eve at work but since I didn't know what any of the mods actually were, I didn't bother to check any of em. :D   Ideally maybe a short line with a mouseover and perhaps a button to give detailed info and a link to the makers webpage if it exists?  Some mods just cannot be explained in a tooltip line.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:57 am »

I should be able to do a tooltip, much like the utilities list. For more detailed info there's links in the contents list, and a small chance of integrating links somehow.

Improving this kind of thing is my project for next week.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Ostar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:21 pm »

I would suggest including Pedestals (a generic building that can be made from any type of artifact) from ModestMod

Seconded. I mean, what else are you going to do with an Artifact bracelet?

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »

I would suggest including Pedestals (a generic building that can be made from any type of artifact) from ModestMod

Seconded. I mean, what else are you going to do with an Artifact bracelet?

Find some way to do !!Science!! with it obviously.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: January 10, 2015, 12:39:20 pm »

minor thing:

when I have Quickfort started the DFHack Workflow plugin does not work (Z then Alt+W)
as soon as I kill quickfort process it works again

I now start quickfort only for doing the painting then kill it again
I should probably report that to the quickfort guy

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: January 10, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »

minor thing:

when I have Quickfort started the DFHack Workflow plugin does not work (Z then Alt+W)
as soon as I kill quickfort process it works again

I now start quickfort only for doing the painting then kill it again
I should probably report that to the quickfort guy

I get the feeling that QF intercepts the alt key in a problematic way, so this and reporting it us the correct response.
 Donations here.

Cannon_Fodder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: January 10, 2015, 05:31:34 pm »

Hello
I know that noone like those kind of question but i have to..  :P
I really deeply appreciate *Starter Pack* so much that i don't even touch "raw" DF even when Toady with Companions releases new important updates like last one - 0.40.24. He resolved some very major bugs there, especially one which caused, that dwarfs did not attack enemies and you know whenever my dwarfs stood in front of some serious foes they were just doing nothing ( except dying :-)) and the game was almost unplayable.. sooo is there any way i can get a bit of information about Starter Pack 40_24? is it in progress? or or maybe You don't even thing about it yet? any information would be helpful ( or possibility to track progress) heh ok ok  :P I am planning to withdraw from society, take some working vacation and it would be greate to fit it with the new starter pack release ! )

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: January 10, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »

The starter pack update process is almost entirely made up of waiting for the components to update. If the components haven't updated, than the starter pack can't update. DFhack has not updated, so the starter pack cannot update.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: January 10, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »

As Putnam says, I basically just wait and collate. My guess is an update in about a week, but that's a shot in the dark.
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40.01 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #2139 on: January 10, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »

I think this might have gotten buried in the activity around the r2 release.
(link to post)
May I ask why this was renamed to "Starter Pack"? I think this name is too generic, given that this is not the only pack ("MacNewbie Pack", "Lazy Newb Pack Linux", "Lazy Newb Pack Installer for Linux", and "PeridexisErrant's Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack" are more descriptive, although it would be nice to make it clearer that this pack is for Windows as well). The difference between "Lazy Newb Pack" and "Starter Pack" may be obvious to long-time members of the DF community, but it clearly isn't to the countless new players that have been confusing different packs and posting in the wrong threads. For example, several people have reported the recent (Windows) TwbT problem in the Linux LNP update announcement on /r/dwarffortress (and that version of that pack doesn't even contain TwbT).
I don't mean to sound rude, but I've seen quite a bit of confusion regarding the different packs, particularly among new players, and I think a name less generic than "starter pack" would help.

When I named it, the idea was to eliminate the then-ubiquitous confusion between this pack and LucasUp's LNP.  At the time, there were no packs for other platforms and I wanted to avoid the condescending "newb" (it's a pack for anyone); while it felt too egocentric to put my name on it.

With the profusion of packs now, I'd be open to going to the associated trouble of renaming if there was a good proposal - I don't feel like having to change all the scripts, documentation, and mindshare on a whim.  If there's a good proposal, which should probably also include Beautato and be discussed with Fricy, I'd love to improve the situation.
I suppose this could have been clearer, but I was linking to the post where this thread's title changed from "PeridexisErrant's Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack r64" to "Dwarf Fortress 40.01 Starter Pack". My point was that a lot of people (particularly new players) are interpreting this as "The starter pack", which isn't the case (and wasn't back in July either, although I think this was the first to update to 0.40.01). I didn't think that the previous name was too egocentric myself, but I can see how you wouldn't want to call it "My starter pack" either. I don't really have a better suggestion for a name than the previous one (and I don't feel that I should push one, given that I don't use this pack), but I do think it could be made less generic.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: January 11, 2015, 02:17:07 am »

This is a "Preconfigured DF and Utilities Pack for Windows" as arranged by PE.  BTW thankyou PE, I basically cant play DF without someone having done the hard yards of getting it together.

ShadowZDaniel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 11, 2015, 06:20:31 am »

Does DF Wanderer ASCII work with the Phoebus Graphics or do I need to install the DF Wanderer Phoebus? 

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: January 11, 2015, 07:33:15 pm »

You'd probably want the DF Wanderer Phoebus because there are raw edits in wanderer, unless you just use copy and paste the /raw/graphics folder overwriting it, if you do it for the /raw/objects it will not work the way it is suppose to.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: January 11, 2015, 07:40:54 pm »

Does DF Wanderer ASCII work with the Phoebus Graphics or do I need to install the DF Wanderer Phoebus?

Not yet - I'm currently working on combining graphics with mods, but for now you'd need to download the graphics edition of the mod.
 Donations here.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: January 12, 2015, 04:20:05 am »

Is there any way to change the 23 version to include this bugfix http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144483.0 by modding or overwriting some files?
Because it makes the game totally unplayable.

If not then I just play some games only year 1 in 23 (so before I get decent militia) and continue them with 24 later when we get the patch.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 385