Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 411633 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.57
« Reply #1860 on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »

I'm really curious if LordBucket reads these theories and cackles to himself as his plans come together or if he reads them and facepalms at the absurdity.
I'm really curious too. He mentioned being disappointed at nobody figuring out the "born under a certain star" thing, and he asked us what our definition of a PC was, but otherwise I don't think he's commented too much on our theoretical flailings.

In fact, let's ask him. LordBucket, anything you can tell us about your reactions to our theorycrafting without giving away things you don't want given away?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 29, 2014, 10:45:34 pm »

I'm really curious if LordBucket reads these theories and cackles to himself as his plans come together or if he reads them and facepalms at the absurdity.

There's a fair amount of both cackling and facepalming. You guys have a lot more information than you realize. For example, IronyOwl comparing screenshots to see that the dunmer who walked out of the census office in Episode 5 has the same face and hair as the dunmer who slaughtered the guards in episode 44. That's information that's been avaialable to you for a long time, but nobody put it together until recently. Or, the realization that the withers is a part of a horse. The name SexyWithersXOXOXO was first mentioned in episode 40. That was August of last year. So it took ~8 months before somebody noticed that.

How many other things do you think are going on that also haven't noticed? Of course, I realize that's dangerous ground.  I'm well versed with the Law of Conservation of Detail and I've taken great pains to not fall for the trap of doing this:

GM: "You see two doors. One is beautifully crafted oak with an emerald handle containing a hint of mithril filigree and glowing runes."
Player: "What does the other door look like?"
GM: "Oh, it's just a door."
Player: "Gee, I wonder which we should go through."

So, yes. Both some cackling and facepalming. You guys have a lot of information to work with and it's clearly not trivial to sort out the important information from the coincidences. And from the deliberate Red Herrings. There have been a few of those. But I definitely enjoy reading the theories you've all been discussing. Some of them might even be correct. Or they might not be. Or they might be in the right ballpark, but comically missing the point.

Or the third option: reads them and starts jotting down notes for the future.

Sadly, not so much of that. You guys have come up with a couple theories that I really liked and almost regret that I hadn't thought of on my own. But this game was started with an initial premise, and I'm not going to change it now. It would be too difficult to keep things internally consistent if I change what's fundamentally going on. Especially given how long it's been running. As it is there are details from forever ago that occasionally become relevant later, or that you realize that they were relevant later. For example, that "dunmer sorceress and an orc" back from episode 26, part 1 were revealed in this most recent Episode 57 to have been Awesomicus and Clover.

There's no way I could have planned for that reveal. If this game ever ends, there are going to be some epic "OMG! How did we not notice that?!?!?!" moments. Since there is internal story consistency here and background events that I know about that happen whether or not you or Michael ever see them, it's easy to keep everything making sense. So, yes I love the theories but I'm hesitant to adopt them because if I were to start changing things now, it would be too difficult to keep track of all those details and make sure that the new material was consistent with everything that's already happened.

I'm really curious too. He mentioned being disappointed at nobody figuring out the "born under a certain star" thing, and
he asked us what our definition of a PC was, but otherwise I don't think he's commented too much on our theoretical flailings.

Not for lack of wanting to, but I'm trying hard to not railroad the game. Sometimes that means letting you explore possibilities that might or might not be right, and to pursue angles that might or might not go anywhere. And sometimes it means not quoting single words out of 2000 word speculative theory posts that would completely resolve major questions that have plagued you for ages.

As to my question about your criteria for deciding who is or isn't a PC, I note your recent realization that party elf has a vanilla counterpart. Granted, I have the benefit of knowing who is what and why and what's really going on, but there a couple personalities you've encountered I can think of I'm uncertain why they're not on your "suspicious persons" list.

let's ask him. LordBucket, anything you can tell us about your reactions to our
theorycrafting without giving away things you don't want given away?

As you pointed out, the withers is a part of a horse. How did you not notice that for eight months?

What else haven't you noticed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 29, 2014, 11:15:30 pm »

Well TBH for about 3 or 4 of those months we were more worried that the game was going to die.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:13 pm »

A lot, I'd wager.

Well TBH for about 3 or 4 of those months we were more worried that the game was going to die.

True 'dat.

Welp, nothing to do now but search back through the archives and make up more theories!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 29, 2014, 11:25:52 pm »

I'll get some friends I know who like Morrowind to read through this, see if their fresh perspectives turn up anything.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:08 am »

I'll get some friends I know who like Morrowind to read through this, see if their fresh perspectives turn up anything.

Ok, but according to a filesize to pages converter, Marooned in Morrowind is presently approximately a 480 page novel, not including pictures. It might not be realistic to casually ask them to come read it in one evening.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 30, 2014, 12:15:08 am »

Is that counting our posts or not?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 30, 2014, 12:54:32 am »

Is that counting our posts or not?

Not counting your posts. Episodes only. Though it does include character status spoilers, which are fairly sizable, and BBCode and image link URLs, which probably add a fair amount. So maybe it's only ~300 pages or so. Still a fair amount of reading.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:02 am »

Eh, my friends have too much time on their hands. It's not like the game ends tomorrow or anything right? Plenty of time to check for stuff.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:59 am »

300 pages and we've still done fuckall, good job team b12

i propose we take a moment and chat to literally everyone while practicing destruction spells and jumping around like a silly bastard for a bit

the random npcs may have important info for us yo

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 30, 2014, 02:21:34 am »

"You guys have a lot more information than you realize. For example, IronyOwl comparing screenshots to see that the dunmer who walked out of the census office in Episode 5 has the same face and hair as the dunmer who slaughtered the guards in episode 44. That's information that's been avaialable to you for a long time, but nobody put it together until recently"

Quick, someone go catalogue the breast sizes, Yagrum gave us some intel a while ago...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:47 am »

That's it, time for a reread.

Ok, but according to a filesize to pages converter, Marooned in Morrowind is presently approximately a 480 page novel, not including pictures.
Well, time to start a reread.

Quick, someone go catalogue the breast sizes, Yagrum gave us some intel a while ago...
Crap, do we have anyone here who's Japanese or Japanese-fluent? Other than me, I mean.

Spoiler: Reread 19/57 Complete (click to show/hide)
There were, of course, a whole bunch of even more trivial things that could potentially be relevant, but Ra'Virr, Luna, and urine seems like a good haul so far.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:34 am »

I am almost positive that we discussed the whithers thing months ago, to be fair. That doesn't negate the fact that we have missed a lot.

I think the werewolf deserves quite a bit more thought and discussion by the way. If it is Imare, my suspicion is that LB might be using her as an avatar for Azura, or perhaps a pony with quite a bit more control over Michael than the others. Read the werewolf part again, she literally can read Michael's "thoughts", or text thinking. Deathgrip, puppy dog eyes, and I think at least one other thing. Also, this pretty much confirms that Michael is related to the ponies in some way, as she seems connected with Maximus and Michael.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:59 am »

I've noticed quite a bit that I haven't bothered mentioning because there's nothing to be gained from doing so.

All the pony speculation - has anything come of it? Anything at all? No. Does it matter? Not that we've had even a shred of evidence of so far.

The only thing about it that is even relevant is that the most powerful force in ponydom is the power of friendship, and considering our ability to make friends and the fact those friendships have been shoved in our face, I hope the importance of that to everyone else is equally obvious.

But I still don't know what to do about it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:05 am »

i wouldn't dare call friendship relevant, as bucketkins might've pulled it from dozens if not hundreds of other series or just be making up this whole game from scratch (i mean it's a fairly common trope yo)

we want to leverage our friendships to gain info which we trade for other info which we can, at one point, maybe, trade in for something that will make us genuinely more powerful

i think
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 161