Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 376868 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [When in doubt, use hair]
« Reply #390 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »

Doubling it is too much.  What about 2 points for +1 and you can't use it more than once?  Stacking it might get extreme.
Allow it to be stacked, but make the quantity needed for each stack being the square of the earlier.
So, for a +1, you need 3. For +2, 5. For +3, 9.
Since theres really no reason to use it more than three times, i suggest doing 3,9,27. 27 is a reachable number if you concentrate on pool, but i dont think many people will take it.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 24, 2013, 12:46:55 pm »

THought I saw some fibbonachi in there but I misremembered.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #392 on: July 24, 2013, 12:50:42 pm »

When it comes to boosting potency with Pool, you could have diminishing returns as a method of controlling it. 1 gives +1, 3 gives +2, 6 gives +3. 

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 24, 2013, 12:57:38 pm »

I was for doubling the cost because that means that the bonus is only practical to apply when evoking a single element, possibly with a two word spell if you've got pool to burn. That would mean you can't just boost an 8 word spell with a single extra point of pool.

But if that doesn't seem good, you could go with utilizing pool to boost the Potency stat for a single roll on one turn. So if you've got 2 Potency, you can spend one point to get a +1 to the roll or 4 to get a +2, while if you've got 1 Potency, you can spend 2 points to get a +1 or 5 to get a +2.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 24, 2013, 12:59:24 pm »

That... could make points between 1, 3, 6, 9 and so on more worthwhile.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2013, 01:03:57 pm »

I like that.  I like that so much that I could consider generalizing it so you can boost ANY stat with pool at a 1:1 ratio.  It gives pool a use for those less magically inclined, comes with cost control, and, as Derm said, makes those inexact stat levels have some value.

I do think if we do the above, it should come with some sort of cooldown so it can't be done every turn.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 24, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »

You can only boost a particular stat once every three turns, in keeping with the 'three stat points for a +1' number theme thing?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »

Make the cost jump to the next level after you use it, and have it decrease by one level every turn?

So if you boost your stat by one this turn, boosting it by one next turn would cost as much as boosting it by two first turn. And the next turn of use is the same as boosting it by three the first turn.
And every turn of inaction lowers the cost of it by one level. What do you think?
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2013, 01:11:10 pm »

I like that.  I like that so much that I could consider generalizing it so you can boost ANY stat with pool at a 1:1 ratio.  It gives pool a use for those less magically inclined, comes with cost control, and, as Derm said, makes those inexact stat levels have some value.

I do think if we do the above, it should come with some sort of cooldown so it can't be done every turn.

Maybe halt pool regeneration for the turn the boost was used? Two turns, if you feel like it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2013, 03:32:19 pm »

Okay then, two new abilities (and codifiying dodging)

Dodge:  Spend a turn dodging incoming attacks instead of attacking back or changing location.  This grants you +1 to dex and speed rolls for the turn.

Focus:  Spend a turn preparing to do something, such as lifting something heavy, waiting for an opportunity in combat, making a hard jump, etc.  That's all you do that turn, but you get a +1 (+2 in case of combat initiative) the next turn if you take that action.

Overdrive:  You may spend pool points at a 1:1 ratio to increase one stat for one turn.  You may only do this once every three turns.

Sound good?  Taking all comments and suggestions.

Kill Tod dead.
Do things.
Charles psyches himself up, readying himself to act as quickly as possible next turn.

Charles watches the action, and keeps an eye out for an opportunity to strike.  [+2 initiative next turn]

[Derm Spd:6]
[Tod Spd:6+1]

[Tod Dex:5+1]
[Derm Dex:4]

[Tod Str:4]
[Derm End:5]

Derm moves in, but Tod is quicker.  He jumps up and aims a kick square at the family jewels.  Derm is unable to block it, and the blow is good, but Derm just squints, grunts, and shrugs it off.  He responds with magic.

[Pot:1+1]  He shoots a few sparks onto Tod's chest, which fail to ignite anything.  Shrugging, he tries to kick his legs a bit.

[Derm Dex:2]
[Tod Dex:2+1]

[Derm Str:4]
[Tod End:4]

Tod avoids the brunt of the blow, and the rest isn't very effective.

Kiallum Abioutt
Zemonif Abioutt

Setting aside giant tongue-based research for now, you move into other areas.

[Pot:4+1]  A woody plant grows up in front of you, bends at an angle, then falls off the root.  What is left is a nice, woody, planty boomerang.  Huh, interesting.

[Pot:2+1]  A small bush grows right where the boomerang plant grew, nudging it aside as it sprouts.

Now that won't do, that won't do at all.  Derek tries the word on the book once more.

"Ristreabod!"

He wonders if Myra is alright.  Maybe he should try poking her again to wake her up?

You poke Myra in the eye.  She doesn't respond.  Shrugging, you try to destroy the book again.

[Pot:4+1]  Nothing happens.  Welp.

Pame
Tifesslos
Sabidetria

Dreaming of obscure throwing knives, you try again.

[Pot:6+1]  A shimmering image of a giant crossbow- more a small ballista- appears in front of you.  Neat.

[Pot:3+1]  What appears to be a straight stick, with a pointy end and something at the opposite end.  Well, if the last word was bow...

[Pot:4+1]  Nothing happens.  Drat.

Myra's face glazes over.  A green 3 appears above her head.

Quote from: Players
Scapheap:  Jack - Northeast side, Grand Room  {Left hand is foot-long bone whip, tourniquet on stump, legs burned}
GreatWyrmGold:  The Golden Scholar - Center of the Bridge, Bottomless Pit  (Ley lines covering whole body- Body is rubber skin over steel bones and fire guts.)
Dermonster:  Derm - South exit, Grand Room (1/5 Pool) (4)
Piecewise: Bob -  North Center, Spike Room  (Made of Steel)
Tiruin:  Myra - North exit, Magma Room [Holding sheet of rubber] [ANTI-AFK:3]
Lasla:  Derek Grimdur - North exit, Magma Room  [Wand]
Harry Baldman:  Tod-5 - South exit, Grand Room  {Burns on arms, several bleeding cuts on back} (2)
The Ensorceler:  Charles - Northeast side, Grand Room (2/3 Pool, Left leg is wooly leather, +2 initiative next turn)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:34 pm »

"~Your-consistent-failure-to-use-magic-effectively-is-troubling-good-sir. As-is-my-lacking-physical-ability. This-will-be-considered-next-time-around.~"

Do things.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:22 pm »

"This is becoming entirely too bothersome."

Advance!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #402 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »

is the waiting list up to date? Cause I'm not on it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 24, 2013, 04:05:59 pm »

Suggestion: Suggest that suggesters underline their suggestions and put them in the top of their turn posts. This way, you see them and whatnot.
Suggestion: Add these rules to the OP somewhere.
Suggestion: Some sort of "blood magic," where harm to yourself or (less efficiently?) some kind of bound/willing other person can replace Pool.

-----

"Interesting."

Eolginv Jonin Hisha Enur
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #404 on: July 24, 2013, 04:47:38 pm »

"Ah, finally, something interesting. Lets see..."

Echapl
Cozoacump
Ridenetali
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 198